Roll Call: Atlanta - TPC Sign Up Link in Discord Announcements Channel

Went out to Panola today. We only played the 10 hole course instead of the 18, but I’d add it to the affordable metro options($16)

Course is pretty open not a lot of spots to get in trouble. Nice mix of par 4s with some 280-300 and some 400+. A couple of interesting elevated tee shots. I’d say the biggest ding at least on the 10 hole course is small and flat greens. There were more groups on the full course but we didn’t run into another group until the last hole which I’ll take for a 65 degree Sunday with no Falcons game.

Summary: cheap, peaceful walk, good place for practice, I’d play again.

1 Like

no it subsidizes that juniors can play it for free and also probably goes towards supporting the adaptive golf programs they have too.

we’re all just assholes.

3 Likes

Lol. Then the “marketing” people over there are missing the mark. Talk about that! Put up information near the putting course saying why it’s $10 instead of having a course employee play bouncer. No place is so good at actually doing some good for the community and the game while simultaneously coming across as complete assholes.

3 Likes

Looking for other opinions here: Is West Pines good?

I played there yesterday, one of the worst rounds of the year score wise so wasnt really paying attention to a lot of the course…but I will say I was shocked at the conditioning. Firm greens, pretty slick, some dumb holes but some pretty ones too. That was my first time out there. Its 25 mins from Smyrna and for $40 on a weekend it may become a regular spot.

Oh and there was a marshal/super/manger/ someone with a bryson style hat on, but cooler. (He was old and it was wool so it made sense). He had one of the best attitudes I have seen from someone working at a course. Normally you get the “you cant play 6 because I said so” vibe. But he chatted with us, and at least attempted to explain why the course has the rule (like its actually just impossible to manage on a case by case basis because there are so many stupid cases (which we can argue all day, not the point)). Anyway, he was super nice and at least not an asshole. Which is actually a little sad that that’s the bar now…don’t be an asshole.

Any other experiences there?

2 Likes

Really like West Pines. They switched to bermuda about 3-4 years ago (as the billboard on I-20 will loudly proclaim to you) and invested some doll hairs into the course. Not in the same ballpark design wise as The Frog, but a fun course and that conditioning is pretty consistent from what I hear.

Fairfield Plantation is trying to follow in the same footsteps there. New super, give that place 2-4 years and it will be in the same boat of “quirky, some fun holes, some stupid ones, but a good mix-it-up course”

Fun experience this weekend. My manager on my current project (manager changes all the time - consulting cc: @gatorz7888) is in town for a 2 week end of project trip and stayed the weekend. Made plans to golf Saturday AM at Wolf Creek.

830 tee time. Drive out to the course, pull up to a nearly deserted parking lot. 3 staff members standing in front of the clubhouse and one car near them with a gentleman they’re talking to. Immediately knew this wouldn’t be good. Course was closed. Had been without power since Thursday with the hurricane. Consequently, they were “unable to access their tee sheet system” and contact anyone who’d made a tee time to tell them as much.

Brutal waste of an early Saturday morning and tough look in front of my coworker.

4 Likes

That’s tough, and shocking they couldn’t find a way to get that information out to registered players.

Could have gone across the street to PDC and tried to get a game over there.

2 Likes

That sucks. Wolf Creek continues to blow me away. (not in a good way)

This may sound harsh but I don’t think you need power to hit golf balls around a field.

If it’s our course (which is going to be once the Refuge buys it) then you can still take venmo, PP, Cash. and let people go walk the course if they want.

“sorry, we are closed, no power. So we don’t have computers, or golf carts charged, or and F&B. But if you want to run down the street to the corner store and gets snacks and cash, you can walk as much as you want.”

$$ is $$.

1 Like

don’t they have gas carts anyway?

ah yes! why in fact they do!..which is good…because they are a “no walking facility”

1 Like

I bet if you showed them your Warrior golf clubs they would have let you play.

Whomever owns that place is the absolute worst business person in the world. Even with the golf boom of 2020 they can’t get out of their own way.

2 Likes

Big fan of West Pines. I live in the Vinings/Smyrna area so it being 25 minutes away and $40 is a big plus for me. Solid conditioning and the greens are great for the price as well. I tell my buddies that good rounds go to die on 11-13 on that course.

Also everyone I’ve talked to in the clubhouse has been real laid back and like you said, “not an asshole”

1 Like

I want to jump in here and play the role of a semi-rational asshole.

I think that we all feel that everything from a course design, inclusivity, accessibility, agronomy, conditioning standpoint, everything that they have done has turned an otherwise goat track into something very enjoyable (except for the “putting” green +1 pt to @RangerB).

The issue is not the asset itself, its the shitty attitude of everyone that works there (other than maybe Tyler). This self-righteous, thirsty, holier than thou attitude that seems to resonate from the employees has a nasty penchant for soiling any positives that have been scored.

5 Likes

played there yesterday ($60 for greens that hadn’t been mowed in two weeks…) and finished up at around 1 o’clock. i looked at number one and noticed no one out there (sunny day, perfect temp, sun not going down for a while yet). thought “that’s weird,” then saw the entry side of the parking lot gate was closed. what golf course owner is calling it a day after the morning wave of tee times??

anyone else notice The Fields upping their social content? Had some drone footage this morning on Instagram. Looks like they’re really trying to vamp that place up.

Need to revisit soon.

7 Likes

It was good when I was there in late August. Still rough around the edges, but the greens were very good / fast. They were hosting a GSGA junior tournament there in August, too. I think I walked for like $32 bucks on a weekend morning.

2 Likes

Played at Chattahoochee yesterday for $45 at 10 am on a Sunday morning. Course was in great shape as well.

1 Like

Going to roll call myself here real quick. I am a married 30yo in the Woodstock area looking for a home. Got out of the golf business a couple of years back and am looking to get back to playing. Currently fiddling with the idea of Pinetree…

Any of y’all members out there?

Probably a few in here. Very nice greens and seems like a good value if you live out there.

Fun course to play, understand has a strong men’s golf association, great greens and more. If you can stand the commute, a good choice!