Roll Call: Alberta

Early vote we call oursleves “the separatists”.

Screw the rest of the country’s roosts. :smile:

2 Likes

@AmesfortheWeir @Banjopete Hey guys, these questions were brought to my attention so figured I would pop in and say hello! I’m the one who started/runs the Alberta Golf Tour. Happy to answer any questions you have. RE: pricing - we are charged almost full price by most of the golf courses, and then have to add on $20/person prize pool, $10 F&B voucher, operating costs for our registration system, etc.

We are very laidback, enjoyable, focus on having a good time over being stuffy and serious. Want people to learn how to play by the rules so that if they choose to go further into Alberta Golf provincial events, they feel more confident doing so.

If you want stuffy and serious, you probably won’t have fun on the AGT (as a few survey replies have indicated in the past LOL). But, if you want to drink some beer while you compete in stroke play while following the rules, and maybe get iced because you were 5 off the tee because you kept going OB? Then you might have found your people. 95% of the people who play are that kind of people*.

*I take no responsibility if you end up being paired with someone in the 5% if you decide to play lol

5 Likes

Bear with me as I attempt a poll for this Wolf Creek plan:

Basically looking to gauge the interest in the May 14/15th weekend that’s been identified as an early favourite for the gathering. No idea on tee time booking options etc but once we know how many intend to go I’m happy to chase that with the course.

Wolf Creek Battle of Alberta
  • Saturday May 14
  • Sunday May 15

0 voters

1 Like

Should have some decent numbers when it all rolls around. @cav007 and @southafricancanuck as well as one other lurker are gathering a YEG posse with me. We’re attacking a cash scramble next weekend, getting out for round one of hopefully many monday, and should all be able to make it down to wolf.

1 Like

Alas, I’ll be back home in the UK. Will be back in Calgary late-May - looking forward to hooking up with the group in the summer!

Too bad you can’t make this one, hopefully we can find another spot later in the year. I’ve heard there is lots of good golf between the two cities and it’s always fun to explore some local gems.

2 Likes

Okay so brief update for the alberta crew.

I spoke with wolf creek today and I’ve booked three consecutive tee times for 9am, 9:10, 9:20 sunday may 15th. Then I’ve also held tee times for second 18s starting at 2pm again.

Cost is $180 per person which includes both rounds, carts for both rounds, and range balls.

The 2nd rounds may be tight for time, if we want to have a chance to gather and eat before heading back out. I’m holding three slots hoping we can fill them out from refuge and friends for now.

I can adjust most of this as things firm up. Please add your name to the list and indicate how firm you are on the commitment. Share amongst extras if there’s any additional interest.

4 Likes

Hell, yeah. Thanks! I am 95% sure at this point I can make it

1 Like

Looks like it’s view only but mark me down

Thanks, done and fixed.

2 Likes

Thanks for setting er up!!

Unfortunately can’t make it that day but kudos for taking some action and setting it up! Hopefully will be able to make it out to something later in the summer

1 Like

Just giving this a bump in case we can get some new/old blood interested.

We’re in an awkward place, we have four confirmed @southafricancanuck @cav007 @cmonk28 and myself, plus a mostly sure @Bunk. Do we need to talk about calling it? and trying again with numbers at another juncture?

I’m flip flopping hard admittedly, I’d love to play, it’d be nice to meet some of the crazies from calgary of course too, but I can also play 36 much much closer to home with the e-town posse and drop hours from the driving time.

Share your feelings. I’d like to let the course know this weekend so they’ve got their spots back 2 weeks out, even if it’s just giving back one or two tee times.

Anyone in Calgary interested in a round Wednesday next week? I’m flexible on timing, and would love to connect with a new Nestian (or two).

Apparently our soccer schedule was screwed up, so we don’t play Monday. Would also be free Monday afternoon if that works for anyone?

Okay @cmonk28 and @Bunk

Bad news good news.

02A91B4D-FADB-4F70-8F98-22B1A2B341B8

Wolf creek is kaput. Sorry to disappoint but it didn’t turn into the alberta gathering I think we were aiming for. We’ll gather our powers and giv’er a whirl later this season

slap

3 Likes

Hey No Worries, still looking forward for next time out. Again has to be said, but very appreciative to try and set this up, Banjo. I do go up to Edmonton frequently enough, if i bring up the clubs, i’ll ring in the thread here, see if there’s a time to be had!

In the meantime: Opinions of Edmonton-area courses i’ve played, maybe lesser knowns(?). But by all means post recommendations!

• Coloniale in Beaumont - Really enjoyed it, layed out in front of you, found it fun to play from the hole back to the tee to decide where I wanted my tee-shot to end up (hopefully).
  • Legends - If anything just cuz this is where I started to learn how to golf, plus I appreciate the homage of naming golf holes to legends past. (tho how does this course not have an online booking system)
  • River Ridge - Conditties can be a bit of a tuff scene, but I really enjoy the front 9.
  • Victoria GC - - Some holes are weird, but always fun to climb up and down on the hill side of the course

Recommend away! (i’m guessing the obvious picks are Northern Bear, Quarry, Ranch)?

Very much watching this - have played zero Edmonton golf and will be up a couple times over the summer…

Hey Everyone, will be travelling to Calgary for the next three months, and will be my first time visiting the Great White North. I was planning on staying a few weekends and try and golf around Alberta. I was wondering what are the courses to play?

2 Likes

Where are you coming from?

If mountain golf isn’t something you’ve done and you have time to do so, heading west into the mountains and through the kootenays is well worth it. Some of Canada’s best courses are nearby.

Cranbrook, Panorama, Canmore, kananaskis, all have great golf.