Roll Call: Alberta

I haven’t played coloniale and it’s never been on my radar even. Might have to check it out.

Coal creek lives up to the hype. Quarry is always good, be ready for wind just like redtail. I enjoy the layout at the ranch, and broadmoor. Northern bear i want to like more but the greens often suuuck there, and they’re dreaming on rack rates so discounter sites all the way.

West of the city is really strong for fun, value and greens. Stony plain usually has great greens, good value. The links in spruce grove is fun, lets you hit a variety of shots. Cougar creek I’ve played a ton and still enjoy it quite a bit, many ways to play around and you can be rewarded for being smart.

Beyond, trestle creek is worth a visit, they have very tough greens. Barhead is a gem, that few ever bother going out to but it’s a lot of fun.

Coming from Dallas, so mountain golf would be awesome and a lot different than anything I’m used too. Will definitely look into that!

1 Like

Paging @alhunter for his September itinerary - he will be hitting some of the best stuff between Calgary / Banff / Invermere / Jasper.

Stewart Creek in Canmore is great - would play it 10/10 times over Silvertip acorss the highway. I haven’t played Kananaskis since it reopening post-flood, but always gets a lot of rave reviews.

Banff Springs is obviously stunning… Jasper Park even better, but its a long drive from Calgary vs Banff which is a day trip. But if you’re in and out of town anyway, I’d recommend getting to Japser for a weekend - its lovely.

Let me know when you’re around - I’d be happy to connect for a round or two over the summer here!

2 Likes

Indeed, all of the above. Mickelson National is fun. For pure bang for the buck, I quite like Water Valley. Strapped vibes, and fun.

1 Like

God, I haven’t played Water Valley in probably 8 years. Let’s do a run up there in early June?

1 Like

Count me in

1 Like

Got out for a round with @duncmitchell at wolf yesterday and had a great time. Cool course that neither of us remembered 10 years later but it definitely had all sorts of challenge. I look forward to having another crack at it in the future.

Thanks again for putting it together Duncan.

3 Likes

How’s your week looking… any room for a round before Saturday? Doesn’t have to be Water Valley, but let me know if you’re around for a quick rip somewhere!

My sister and I are headed to Canmore and Calgary in two weeks for vacation, and I’ve been looking at the daily weather forecast in the area. Are there usually showers every day? Crossing fingers there are no heat waves like last summer because our AirBnB doesn’t have central AC.

Would love to hear any breakfast spot recommendations in Canmore or Banff. Outdoor seating is a plus!

1 Like

Where The Buffalo Roam for brunch in Canmore! Delightful spot - great food, great drinks.

The Iron Goat across the highway is (was? its been an age since I was there) decent, plus the views are unparalleled looking out at the Three Sisters.

Banff, I love Banff Ave brewing, The Magpie and Stump for TexMex and a sawdust-on-the-floor kind of atmousphere.

The Banff Springs is worth popping in to - have a drink on the terrace, have a wander around. I love the place, but it is expensive and the F&B always slightly underwhelms me, honestly.

Weather-wise, its usually starting to heat up and the rain disappears in July. But in the mountains, all bets are off. Could be 30c, could piss down with rain.

If you want recs for Calgary too, let me know. Tons of great options!

1 Like

Bring on any Calgary recs! The only cuisines I usually rule out are Indian, Chinese and Japanese. If you have any recommendations for things to do in Calgary I’d be interested in those too. We have a day and a half there.

Native Tongues for amazing mexican food - stellar tacos, great drinks.

Last Best brewing is my favourite spot for great beer and dynamite pub food. I’m biased as I had my wedding reception here, but its cool as hell.

Hayden Block for bbq / whiskey. Bonus points if you go early (1/2 price whiskey from 3-6) or late (1/2 price meat after 10pm).

Favourite breweries (without great food options) are Establishment & Dandy.

Bars if cocktails are your jam -

• Milk Tiger (just moved to a much less dingy location - lost a bit of the old vibe, but its easier to get a seat!)
  • Shelter & Proof - lumping them together as they’re side by side. Nice to hop between them - very different vibes, both very good

Any other specifics you’re interested in, let me know. Happy to offer up what I can!

1 Like

Any museums/places of interest we should visit?

I don’t drink and my sister is usually just a one glass of wine with dinner drinker so we’re looking more for food and activities :grinning:

1 Like

I would visit places like Calgary Central Library, National Music Centre (our main museum, the Glenbow is currently closed for a significant renovation and expansion). Districts like Stephen Avenue downtown, 17th Avenue, Inglewood, Kensington will all have great food options and are a good hang. The river pathway along the Bow river downtown is super lively and beautiful in the summer. Calgary zoo is a good way to spend say half a day, or even a full day.

There are a couple good food halls in the Beltline neighbourhood right now that have good food and drinks - 1st Street Market, and Beltline Market.

2 Likes

The library is a great call!

2 Likes

If you can snag a reso Major Tom’s Bavette steak is really good!
Lil’ Empire good lil burger place.
Village Ice Cream in Bridgeland is good for a nice walk to the river with cone in hand, good views of the city.
East Village with Phil and Sebastien, Sidewalk Citizen Bakery and Charbar all in one building, and a long the river.

Crazyweed’s Pork Chop is great in Canmore

3 Likes

Major Tom was really good. I kind of wanted to not like it - fancy restaurant for Instagram and all that - but holy SHIT the food was incredible. Really cool interesting wine list too. Outstanding.

Plus, y’know, the view doesn’t suck…

1 Like

hah! i know exactly what you mean. It had me at the steak. I’ll cheapily try to recreate the flank at home, but will gladly go back for the bavette.

1 Like

Yep, for those that don’t know, it is on the 41st floor of a tower downtown. Incredible place.

1 Like

A plug for D.O.P. on 1st street - little Italian place that’s on all the best new restaurant lists. Maybe the best pasta I’ve ever eaten. So good.

2 Likes