Roll Call: Alberta

Cool beans. I can definitely save the second spot I am going to book for you if you want. Have to book a minimum of two people. Aiming for an 8am tee time and play the afternoon round around 1:30pm.

Can add more people if others are interested as well.

1 Like

Okay Alberta folks, putting some shape to the July 14-16 greywolf idea floated a little ways back.

@Bunk @cav007 @southafricancanuck , prodding us into some action for the attack on Greywolf.

Loose plan for the 3 of us from Edmonton:

• Friday etown bus leaves town, play 18 somewhere, be in panorama friday night
  • Saturday golf all day in glorious sunshine at one of the country’s most spectacular courses
  • Sunday, sneak one last glorious greywolf round in and hit the road back to e-town

Friday golf, open to ideas, many options along the path, always happy to rope more refugees in if we can swing it on the way past flames central.

Saturday:

booked a foursome for the morning 18, 9:10am
booked a foursome for the afternoon 18 for 3:30pm

Assuming we safely get a pit stop for food etc between round.

Sunday:

booked a foursome for an 8:00am tee time.

Can we do this?

2 Likes

I’m in. Happy to talk final logistics over a beer and get it in the books.

Might - very maybe right now - try and tag in on the Sunday AM. Currently on 17 at Wolf Creek Links, need to finesse some scheduling later tonight.

Sounds good. Do you want to do three rounds at Greywolf or maybe one elsewhere in the valley? There are some good options like Copper Point that are pretty good too!

I mostly just want to play greywolf personally, especially if we can find a spot in panorama to stay. It’s such an fun and flamboyant course. I’ve been on two separate occasions, and it’s still very memorable.

I played copper point once and remember thinking for nearly the same price as greywolf it’s not really in the same league course wise. Definitely could have been related to the shit conditions, and brutal cold we experienced that day though.

Having said that paying less than $500 for three rounds is always appealing, so I’m not toally opposed.

Other ideas could be a run back to kananaskis? Or mickelson? Or something in that area west of the mountains. What were you thinking?

1 Like

I stayed at The Invermere Inn & Suites for a ski weekend at Pano a couple months back. It was… fine. But it was also cheap - slightly aging Best Western vibes, but at sub-$100 a night it was totally adequate.

When I played tobiano I stayed in a scuzzy motel, thanks to the thriftiness of a buddy. For an extra $20 I could have had a much much nicer option and I swore never again.

I’ll always be tempted though. Haha

1 Like

I have a vacation place at Lake Windermere. There’s a high likelihood my family will be there too that weekend, but the off chance they don’t go, people could crash.

Dear Canadian Cousins,

I am flying through YYC in September. Any recommendations on where to stay around Calgary? Flying in around 7pm - looking to stay 1 night before I head south to Glacier NP.

I will have 2 young kids in tow - so nightlife is of low value to me. Considered bouncing over to Canmore but it adds more travel time the next day. I am circling back through Lake Louise and Banff at the end of the trip.

1 Like

If you’re just sleeping and heading out, there’s plenty of options near the airport - bunch of newer-built hotels on the north side, and older ones on the south side.

Canmore is 90 minutes from the airport, and a long drive in the evening (the wrong direction) if you’re heading south the next morning. I’d say not worth it if you’re back through that area on the back end of your trip.

1 Like

Update on greywolf. Sadly, we lost @southafricancanuck to the stampede or something, mixup on dates, wife wins. So for the saturday 36, we’re a mighty threesome unless another calgary body wants to make the trek.

Also the sunday round is kaput. No greywolf sunday. @cav007 and I are still looking to play sunday on the way back, LIV north is on the considerations list, I trust the gatekeepers there won’t let us early book a twosome when you dress the way I do, but it would be fun to see it again. Booked a prospective high noon Sundre (@duncmitchell) round as a placeholder option.

As you were.

1 Like

Way in for Sunday Sundre (or LIV if that’s where you land). Count me in.

1 Like

Sweet, once we get in the window for LIV we can see what options exist. Looking forward to it.

1 Like

Sundrey? Let’s go with Sundrey. I’ll never stop trying to make fetch happen…

Played Coal Creek yesterday and the course is already running fast. The fairways aren’t as good as they were last year but I’m chalking that up to zero rain, and hot and dry conditions so far. Last year they had this amazing perfect tight but lofted lie everywhere in the fairway. This year coming out of early season aeration they’re running tighter, and with these micro-depressions from them that sits the ball down slightly more. Fastest greens I’ve seen so far by a long ways for the season from Kelowna rounds to other local Edmonton courses. No surprises as they’re usually good but they’re already in the baked and hard phase. Can’t wait until later in the year.

$59 walking. An absolute gem, if anyone finds themselves in the area for golf and skips this course, you’re doing things wrong.

Heading back there this morning with @cav007 let’s go!

3 Likes

Hey AB Crew. A buddy and I are in Alberta in July and have foursomes booked in case any locals wanted to join us. Always keen to meet other golf sickos and enjoy some new course. Please let me know if you want to join us. Have one spot open each day

July 6 - Jasper pm (also with @alhunter)
July 7 - Banff pm

1 Like

A little nearly July bump, @cav007 and I are heading down past calgary friday July 14th looking for a round on our way to panorama. If any calgary folks want to try and make a round with some no-gooders from e-town we’re just winging it for planning and would love to meet up.

The membership at LIV north revoked my early booking privileges after “t-shirtgate” but we’re hoping we can find a round there once the 6 day window opens. Nothing locked in at all.

2 Likes

I’ll make it work for sure. Already playing a stack of golf that week, and it’d be a disgrace if I didn’t make time for you two.

1 Like

Awesome. We’re playing sunday with you already don’t forget but it’ll be great to get another one in there too.