Refuge Meetup (NYC) @ Rock Spring - 10/24 (tee times begin at 11am)

Announcement - Official Event to be Held 10/24 (Time TBD)

Hi all, after discussions with Rock Spring we are moving forward with a one day “official” event to be held on October 24th. The event will be both a team competition (format TBD) and an individual competition (Stableford). After some discussion with my associates, I have decided the team competition will be a “Schoolyard Pick-em” where myself and my Merch Czar, marketer and social media guru, @brutalbaum, will be captains. More to come on that front once we have final numbers.

In addition, I would like to add a charity component to it. I’m thinking something related to small businesses and/or the local restaurant industry but if anyone has any specific thoughts on this please feel free to DM me. More details to come on this front.

For now, if you haven’t done so already, please make sure to update the attached google sheet with your availability. The deadline to join will be September 30th. Rock Spring also has availability on 10/25 and I’m happy to help coordinate an “unofficial” event for that day. So if you can’t make 10/24 or want to play both days, don’t despair. I’ve added an additional column to the sheet and if you want to play on 10/25 please update the sheet accordingly.

4 Likes

Super excited about this. Gotten pretty obsessed with Rock Spring this summer. Glad that this might help it get some more exposure. Never played when it’s felt hugely crowded. Maybe because it’s newly municipal and, I think, not on GolfNow or other common booking sites, still feels like a hidden gem. With more traffic and interest, feels like they could do amazing things with the bones of the place.

1 Like

Last call to sign up for this event! I’ll be locking the list on 9/30.

A few updates below:

1. Tee times are confirmed and will begin at 11am. We have a block of 10 tee times that go until 12:30 at this point but if we have more than 40 we can extend.

2. Total cost for the event is still TBD but I expect it to be between $100-$120. (We’re working on some first tee gifts but unfortunately Rock Spring is not providing a group discount)

3. We have declined their food options as part of the outing to keep cost down but we’re discussing a post-event gathering at a local restaurant that has enough space outside to accommodate those that want to attend.

More details to come!

3 Likes

All, sorry for the delay on the update. The final roster has been set and we have ~46 participants, which is a VERY impressive showing. Final numbers need to be provided a week in advance (Friday, 10/16). Please let me know if you are unable to join prior to that. If you don’t, you will be on the hook for the greens fees.

Details for the day:
Time - Tee times are currently blocked off from 11am - 12:40pm (we will adjust as needed but first tee time will be 11am). I will provide a tee sheet prior to the event so each group knows when they tee off and don’t necessarily need to wait for an hour+ for your tee time.
Format - We will be doing an individual and team competition:

1. Individual - standard stableford format (4 pts for NET eagle, 3 for NET birdie, 2 for NET par, 1 for NET bogey, 0 for NET double or worse). Winner will win the NYC Metro Sheep and top 3 will also receive some cash.

2. Team - @brutalbaum (my right hand man in all of this) and I will be “captains” and will be picking teams this week (still TBD on when). Half the foursomes going out will play fourball matches and the other half will play singles matches. Most points win bragging rights (and maybe a trophy)

Cost - Unfortunately we are paying the rack rate. It’ll be $82 to walk and $99 with cart. That payment will be made by each individual when you check in at the pro shop.

Important: In addition, I ask that everyone venmo me $25 which will cover cash prizes for stableford winners, closest-to-the-pin on 2 holes and long drive competition as well as “first tee” gifts that Dan and I have bought for all participants. Please send $25 to @crdaley27 and label it “Rock Spring Event”.

Finally, please go into the below spreadsheet and add your handicap in Column D. If it changes drastically between now and 10/24 feel free to amend.

13 Likes

Hey uh… your handicap column can’t handle us + caps feeling slightly discriminated against over here… we’re people too

4 Likes

Logan, I’ve seen you flex many times, but this is perhaps the strongest.

3 Likes

5 Likes

Thanks captain (@HibernatingBear) and vice-captain (@brutalbaum) for making this dream close to becoming reality. Look forward to seeing you both out there cruising around in your club cars, sunglasses in full effect, earpieces firmly implanted

3 Likes

1 Like

Excited for this - May seems forever ago

1 Like

Looking forward to this and meeting up with everyone!

4 Likes

Apologies, but can’t make it now. Gutted to miss this. Hopefully next time.

No worries!

Reminder for the few that have yet to do so: Please send me a venmo (@crdaley27) for $25 ASAP and update your handicap index in the below spreadsheet.

More info on pairings, payouts and other ancillary items early next week. We plan on picking teams this Sunday during a smaller gathering at Watchung Valley

Hi all, quick update after speaking with Rock Spring yesterday. They are being inflexible on no-shows (ie I will be on the hook for green fees if someone doesn’t show up). Therefore, for the very select few who have not already done so, please send me your $25 via Venmo (@crdaley27) or PayPal (Christopher.r.daley@gmail.com) to confirm your spot by tomorrow, 10/16. If you have neither just reach out to me and let me know you’ll pay me cash that day.

For everyone else, if plans change please reach out to me and I’ll see what I can do with RS but, as of now, you’ll be on the hook. It’s unfortunate that they’re being inflexible so apologies for having to take this approach.

3 Likes

So between this and a few select incidents earlier this summer…it seems like they’re starting to find their groove in terms of municipally owned golf course customer service.

8 Likes

If @Craigstands is rolling in as an 8.4 I’d like to officially request my 15 I feel I play to in the 12 rounds that don’t count toward my cap

2 Likes

I can neither confirm nor deny my handicap and any changes Mother Google may have made

1 Like

So @HibernatingBear and I will be picking teams Sunday morning, shared via the RACDG_NYCMetro IG Live or IG Stories or something like that. Thinking that will be followed with a pairings presser via zoom a la presidents cup.

I have printed out everyone’s names and refuge handles to pull from a hat. In an attempt to limit doxxing, please let me know via DM by 10 am Sunday if you prefer your name or refuge handle to not be read aloud. Otherwise it will be something like “next pick for the winning team…(name), aka (Refuge handle)”

4 Likes

Teams picked. See below or on our RACDG_NYCmetro IG (multiple posts since we can only tag so many at a time.

Format is a team competition - mix of fourball and singles match play, with an overarching net stableford competition for everyone.

Last call - there is one open spot available (albeit on the HibernatingBear’s losing team) DM if you want to play or if you haev a non-refuge buddy who would want to tag along.

Team @HibernatingBear : (part 1)
@jdp806 @Zocco @teem @Craigstands @gth865a @Harbo1 @asiebengartner @frommers @DeadMan82 (to be continued)

1 Like