Philadelphia

Man, Olde Masters takes me back! Fun little course!

1 Like

This conversation is too funny, Olde Masters was my first couple rounds as well. I am in West Chester and usually play once or twice a week if anyone wants to link up.

Tough scene today. I went out to find a driving range near my new place. Google mapped ‘driving range’ and the closest one was the John Cappelli driving range. Turned out to just be an area in a park where you can hit your own balls.

I regrouped and went to the next closest spot called MGolf. Hitting off of mats only and $12 for a large bucket of 25% old range balls mixed with 15 year old Pinnacles.

So… anyone have a suggestion for a decent practice facility on or around the Main Line? Thanks.

There’s a range off the Blue Route near Norristown. Haven’t been there, but used to pass it all the time on my way to the dentist.

1 Like

If that’s not woke, nothing is.

8 Likes

I literally only had one golf ball in my bag. I can handle that much woke, but not that much walk.

2 Likes

Was out at Lulu on Friday and the greens were a mess. Looks like they verticut and then all the cut lines died (maybe from heat / burnout). There were also big gashes in some of the greens that had been filled with sand. Not sure what’s going on over there, and I’m sure they’re trying to get things back in shape, but it was disappointing.

I’ve only been in town three weeks and I’m already having my first ‘shore’ experience. Ocean City is pretty damn nice. I’m not a beach person at all, but this one is decent.

3 Likes

Not really close to mainline, but the range (waltz golf farm) next to turtle creek out in limerick was the best public spot I’ve seen in the general area. A bit of a hike for range from where it seems you will be coming from. They have a decent grass range. The public practice scene in the area is definitely lacking in my experience.

1 Like

This is where I worked in high school (waltz’s) and where I learned to play years before working there. Range (mats and grass), 9 hole chip and putt (home of my only ever ace), 2 mini golfs, snack bar/ice cream shop! And turtle creek (which didn’t open until i was in college).

There was not too much of anything in the area when I was growing up in those parts, but now there is SO MUCH that you could make a nice day out of it. Hit waltz’s, have dinner in Phoenixville on your way back to main line. Or hit up the outlets in limerick/Saratoga. Or KOP mall is high is insanely different than it was in my high school days.

1 Like

The range in Conshohocken off 476 is Tee’s. They have two levels of mats, a grass range, short game area and putting green. The two other ranges near Philly is the City Line Sports Center, which will probably be subsumed with Cobbs Creek redesign. There’s another range in Roxborough, I think it’s called the Umbria range. Decent but power lines go over the range. I think Cobbs also has a range. Moving further away from the city, Glen Mills has a nice range that I think you can use if you’re not playing. Paxon Hollow has one but irons only. There used to be a range above Kelly Drive near Strawberry Mansion, but I would never go there and I think it’s closed now anyways. That’s all I can think of right now.

2 Likes

Anyone around to play tomorrow, the 21st, in the morning? I have some downtime while the lady friend works before we can head back to The Shore.

Ocean City is great, Cape May is our favorite though. Small town, but so much character and life.

1 Like

Whereabouts? I’m so new to the area that I probably won’t know anyway, but I am trying to play tomorrow.

Mainline: Malvern, West Chester area.

Chicago to Philly. Sounds like me. What made you move out east?

Has the Philly group of refugees had a meet up yet? If not I’d say we’re overdue right?

4 Likes

Just needed a change. Good schools, lower taxes, less oppressive winters, close to other places, good professionally for me.

And here my mom kept telling me “no one moves to Philly willingly.”

1 Like

1 Like