Philadelphia

Anyone playing GAP today? Going to be hell… Good luck, heading out for match now.

Rolling Green has a special place in my life.
Always will.

Grew up caddying there.
Likely would not be involved in the game otherwise.

My dad and bro are members at the club.

This is going to sound overly critical, but not at all a fan of the Forse work there.
In particular I do not like what they did with the bunkers.
I understand their intent, at least I think I do, but I just don’t like the way it came out
Forse may have wanted to do other stuff and were limited due to budget, etc.

I don’t have a great understanding of the plan moving forward.
I think the intent is to just do stuff little by little over a long period.

The work they did on the 6th hole looks great.
Not so sure how the changes will actually play.
If you hit the ball over the green, there is a big area of closely mown grass.
When conditions are decently firm, the ball will just keep going and up 30 yards over the green in the rough.

Also the 7th tee which connects with this area is not level at all.
Not sure if this was intentional.

It’s truly a special course and it would be nice to see a few tweaks which could really elevate it even higher than it already is in my mind.

What I really hope is that they don’t try to make it another “championship” course.
The last thing that places needs is to try to become another place that is no fun for the average player.

1 Like

Thankfully I’m in the transportation industry and get a pass on that Philly wage tax. And you’re right, the main line is pricey, but the schools are really good and the property taxes are about 1/2 of what they are here.

We have decided to rent for a year to make sure that our plan for buying is actually what we want, but I’m looking forward to getting set up there.

1 Like

I’m in the process of applying to law schools and Penn has a solid program for my interests. Just wondering if anyone here has experience/opinions/recs/connects of or at Penn Law?

As a golfer, being in Philly doesn’t sound so bad. Way better than NYC.

it was hell, bag is still wet

I was soaked and miserable the whole dang time it was not enjoyable. Rain gear started leaking water about the 5th hole and combined with the wind and low temps i didn’t think i would ever feel warm and dry again. Had to play bare handed as rain gloves became useless, thank goodness i had cleaned my grips the night before, still couldn’t hit driver though, big right miss and club flying through the air after it was lurking as i couldn’t hold onto it during the downswing so it became nothing but 3woods off the tee for me. Only person who seemed more miserable was the guy i was playing.

2 Likes

Philly folks - going to be able to play golf for one day in advance of a work thing.

I am definitely playing Lulu after my flight lands at 9:45ish. Would you recommend playing Lulu twice to soak it in or playing Jeffersonville after?

I don’t think there is a wrong answer to this as I like both courses a lot. I personally would probably do two loops at Lulu take away the logistical hassle of likely batting traffic from lulu to Jeffersonville; I’m guessing you would finish Lulu at a time that would be pretty annoying to get to Jeffersonville; they are only 15 miles away but that could take an hour if you are going between 4 - 6:30pm depending on the day. Is this on a weekday or weekend?

Lulu is a fun spot & I can’t imagine you’d be disappointed with doing two loops there.

Weekday. Immersing in two Lulu-oops, was where I was leaning for some of those convenience reasons.

I posted on a Philly Cricket insta post about interest in joining and other non-golf activities for my wife and daughter. This dude who’s a member reached out to me and now we are playing Wissahickon on August 24th. Stoked.

I should try this on the Merion instagram. /sarcasm

12 Likes

That’s not not awesome. Enjoy!

1 Like

If you guys need a 4th, please give me a shout - it’s actually one of the weekends I’m in town this summer.

1 Like

Awesome.

Still need to sort out a time to play there - found out that the reciprocity they have with Hidden Creek is only on weekdays.

1 Like

That’s great. I played there this past Wednesday and it was in great shape. You will no doubt enjoy your round there (weather permitting)

I will be joining you shortly, except I have no option but Main Line. That is where the GFs family is. West Chester or Main Line. At least I can be a legacy member at their club.

1 Like

Can’t say enough good things about Philly Cricket, Wissahickon and Tillinghast ( I have not played it since the renovation though).

I grew up in Newtown Square, but haven’t lived in the area for 10 years. I took lessons at Edgemont Country Club as a kid and yesterday I got to the point in Paper Tiger where Tom moved back to Philadelphia and was practicing there, so I looked it up to see how it was going. Turns out it shut down a couple of years ago and was sold to a housing developer, stinks.
In high school we would usually play at Cobbs Creek or Olde Masters (now Valley View). My Sister/BIL are members at Llanerch, but I haven’t played there yet. Down to play when I’m in town.

2 Likes

I just got to town last week. I’m going to try to play Jeffersonville this week.

Mike - edgemont is now an overgrown wasteland - reminds me of valley forge when it was fighting zoning after it closed.

I think Llanerch is an underrated track, and has a great membership. I’ve not played in awhile, but have always enjoyed my rounds there.

Was olde masters next to the Subaru dealership on West Chester Pike? Or am I confusing that with something else. That was golf-ish

2 Likes

Yep, by the dealership and across the street from the shopping center (in high school I was a cashier at the Genuardi’s). You remembered correctly, it was … not great. As a kid it was just fun to get out there, and it was cheaper and closer than Cobb Creek. We also would sometime drive out to a place in Oaks, it had a “links” course and a lighted chip and putt. I think it got sold 12 years ago to become a medical campus, can’t find anything about it online and I don’t remember the name. That place was fun, fewer lost balls than Olde Masters.

1 Like