Phil’s Clubs

That’s the goal. The man @Phillip360 himself will be snagging photos next week in Bandon. I plan on posting some this week of my local club, and possibly a Chambers Bay club as well. (restaurant not the snack shack)

1 Like

That’s awesome! Great pic of your son. When did you play out there? I played and worked there in high school (MV '99-'03). I learned to play in a golf camp during 8th grade taught by Angie.

1 Like

This would have been in the early '90s. '94-'97 maybe?

It wasn’t a huge part of my life, my dad was very much a recreational player, but would bring me out a handful of times a year, always to deep cliff, always with lunch, and always with a stop at the Steven’s Creek Market over at McLellan/Steven’s Canyon to get an ice cream bar.

1 Like

Very cool! Definitely gotten ice cream at Steven’s Creek Market!

Yes pictures are preferred and will be the standard going forward. Very limited foresight at the OP in not taking a few pictures.

Editors note: the above OP rankings for Chambers are based the snack shack club. The restaurant club I had a few months ago, and is far superior. Would likely give Home Course a run and easily take the 2 spot from Gold Mountain.

Assumes facts not in evidence
Golf course food should be simple not fancy

1 Like

Dude! I thought about it as I ate the last bite. I’ll have to make them again in a day or two so I can take a pic.

1 Like

Agree completely, but I’ll try anything once and sometimes you just got to trust the chef.

2 Likes

Also let me know if you need my mailing address. I think they make shipping containers that keep food chilled.

2 Likes

The kid as some good action :ok_hand:t2:

2 Likes

Are we only rating Club sandwiches at Golf Courses that are named “Golf Club” on the menu or is that just something that adds style points?

1 Like

So I just made a turkey and bacon sandwich at home and the toasted bread was a little irritating to the roof of my mouth. But just the right amount of irritation to define the sandwich as delicious. I felt like this was the proper audience to appreciate this.

It wasn’t technically a club though (I didn’t even cut it in half, let alone quarters), so it does not need to be rated.

2 Likes

Course: Mimosa Hills Golf Club
Sandwich: Mimosa Hills Club

Presenting the first sandwich review for Phil’s Clubs Club: the Mimosa Hills Club. Mimosa Hills is a lovely 1929 Donald Ross in the foothills of the NC mountains, I ride hard for Mimosa Hills, as it is my home course, but this sandwich review will remain unbiased.

VALUE
Coming in at $9.50, the value here is outstanding given this is a true club sandwich containing turkey, ham, bacon, cheese, lettuce, and tomato. This also includes a side, which we all know should be the fries. You’ll see below that the size of the sandwich also speaks to its value.
SCORE: 20/20 Phil’s

VIBES
The clubhouse and grill room at Mimosa Hills provide a great ambience to enjoy some food and cold beverages. Depending on where you are sitting, you can see 4 tee, 3 green, and 18 green. High top tables and bar seating available in the grill room and traditional seating is available in the dining room. There is usually a good amount of activity in the grill room, as the clubhouse resides at the center of the property with multiple 3, 5, 6, etc. hole loops leading back to the clubhouse. Its hard not to be romantic about this place. That being said, its hard to beat some of the views that are available in different areas of the country or the vibes at some more well known courses in their bars (shout out to Pine Needles bar)
SCORE: 17/20 Phil’s

SANDWICH ARCHITECTURE
This club sandwich boasts a classic layout much like the course it came from. Three slices of bread (your choice of white/wheat and toasted/untoasted) with turkey, ham bacon, cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato, and mayo dispersed between the layers. I opted for toasted wheat bread, and the toast on the bread was enough to improve texture and flavor, but not a hard enough toast to abrade the roof of your mouth. It is important to note here that the level of toast on the bread pays dividends in other areas, namely the ability of this sandwich to not squeeze out ingredients when taking a bite. This is a huge value add in my opinion and speaks to sound sandwich architecture. Another contributing factor for this trait of a good sandwich is the order in which ingredients are added to the sandwich and their amounts. The ingredient amounts are balanced and assembled in such an order that you do not have to open your mouth excessively to take a bite, and when you do its a clean bite with no ingredient expulsion. We also love to see a club cut into quarters giving us the trademark wedges. Bonus points are also given for the fact that on one side of the sandwich, we essentially have a BLT, and the other a nice cold cut sandwich. This is ideal in my opinion. That being said, I would love to see some slightly thinner slices of bread and some better tomatoes as they come into season.
SCORE 18/20 Phil’s

OVERALL TASTE
There is not much to say in this section other than this is a truly solid club sandwich. It hits all of the notes you want out of a club sandwich. Textural contrast between the toasted bread, crispy bacon, and juicy tomato. Flavor balanced beautifully between the savory meats and sharp cheddar cheese. My one wish is that there was slightly less bread. Do not mistake this for me wanting only 2 slices. Three, slightly thinner slices would be the ideal in my opinion. Moving on to the fries, you can tell these are fried to order as they come out piping hot each time. They have a great crisp and are seasoned simply, but well, with salt. The piping hot fries provide a nice temperature contrast to the cold ingredients in the sandwich. I chose to pair my sandwich with a nice transfusion today which I really enjoyed. After 18 in 90 degree heat, the transfusions go down easily and are less filling than beer. I think its a great pairing that I will be beating up this summer to be sure. Overall, a very solid lunch for $9.50(!!!). I will continue to order these and can’t wait to host some club enthusiasts out there soon!
SCORE: 36/40 Phil’s

OVERALL SCORE: 91/100 Phil’s

52 Likes

10 Likes

Just like when you have to tee off after someone pipes a massive drive down the middle, that’s going to be a tough review to follow.

8 Likes

THIS is what we’re here for! Bravo

3 Likes

Wow! Above and beyond in every aspect. Very much enjoyed this, thanks!

4 Likes

If this is the direction this thread is going…

8 Likes

Is this where we talk about what clubs Phil used to win the PGA?

4 Likes

I’m expecting some club review content over this holiday weekend folks, get involved!

2 Likes