North Star Shootout 4 (NSU Roost Major) - Minneapolis, MN - July 15, 2023

giphy (5)

5 Likes

I’m stupid excited for the NSS4 this year. So excited that I threw together a little course map for our lovely host course. Feel free to take it, print it, hang it on the wall, and stare at until the day comes.

21 Likes

One day closer to the shoot out!

5 Likes

One day closer, indeed! And what better time than now to announce NSS4 TEAMS.

Some of us remember @BaxterMSP’s idea for NSS2 involving Twins Legends. We had the likes of Team Gaetti, Team Black Jack Morris, Team Puckett. Ultimately, that idea did not come to fruition due to logistic challenges, but since taking over the NSS mantle it’s always been there… gnawing at the back of my mind. “We need to do this”, it whispers.

In keeping with (and of course, riffing on) that utterly fantastic idea, I present to you the 8 NSS4 Teams:

MINNESOTA MUSIC LEGENDS

TEAM JAM AND LEWIS

Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis are two of the most successful R&B/Pop songwriters and producers of all time. They founded The Time, who of course would go on to play with Prince and then Morris Day, and wrote 41 Top Ten hits in the US, most notably with Janet Jackson.

TEAM THE 'MATS

The Replacements are a seminal punk/alternative band who got their start in the early '80s Minneapolis hardcore scene. Their sound would go on to evolve, and they’d cement their legacy as pioneers of Alternative Rock.

TEAM SLUG

Voice of Atmosphere. Founder of Rhymesayers. Sean Daley put Minneapolis hip hop on the map, and after 25 years continues to write with the same introspective, visceral style that so many of us love.

TEAM TRUTH HURTS

Lizzo may not be a Minnesota native, but she calls Minneapolis home and we’re happy to claim her. The pop/hip-hop queen’s ascension to superstardom has been nothing short of legendary.

TEAM RUNAWAY TRAIN

The four-piece Minneapolis stalwarts paved the way for Alternative Rock by blending every conceivable genre into their music - hardcore, punk, country, '70s rock, and more. Some say they even directly influenced the rise of grunge.

TEAM HÜSKER DÜ

image304

The Godfathers of Minneapolis Punk, Hüsker Dü rose to mythic status during their relatively short, 11-year career. Yet another foundational group to rise out of the '80s hardcore scene. Bob Mould’s signature baritone continues to fuq to this day. And when your name is as bad ass as “Hüsker Dü”, you don’t need a nickname.

TEAM ZIMMY

Bob Dylan is one of the greatest singer/songwriters of all time. That’s it, that’s the whole description. Honestly though, nobody’s written more hits and nobody’s been covered more than Hibbing’s own Robert Allan Zimmerman aka Boo Wilbury aka Blind Boy Grunt aka Robert Milkwood Thomas aka Tedham Porterhouse aka…

TEAM HIS ROYAL BADNESS

prince-prince-performing-on-stage---purple-rain-tour-photo-by-richard-e-aaronredferns2

Last, but certainly not least, we have a man who needs no introduction. The Purple One, the High Priest of Pop himself. Minneapolis’ most famous and cherished son. May he rest in Power.

These are your 8 NSS4 teams, folks. @brettfreddy5 feel free to submit a new logo if you wish, now that you know the theme :+1:

I may extend the Logo Submission deadline a bit, but for now let’s try to get those in by 3/31!
https://forms.gle/JwQCdAjPhh5YM1gQA

13 Likes

@MrChickPhilA @ChickPhilA

5 Likes

Don’t tag them, they’re gonna come in here and tell me why my choices stink!

3 Likes

No Yung Gravy?

2 Likes

Or MOD SUN, imagine that. Preemptively - I debated Judy Garland for a while but ultimately decided a. TO ME, at least, she’s more well known for her acting and b. What happened to her is incredibly tragic and naming a team after her seemed a little crass.

3 Likes

Don’t you participate in the Refuge Death Pool?

7 Likes

No comment.

1 Like

Purple is Mandatory for Team Royal Badness right?

3 Likes

Obviously.

2 Likes

tenor-5

3 Likes

Yung Gravy is unironically better than Prince

1 Like

Your entry fee just doubled - nay, tripled

3 Likes

Quadrupled seems soft.

4 Likes

I might just murder him the next time I see him, tbh