Hello again, friends.
While those of us in Minnesota brace for yet another winter storm (and contemplate our life choices), we find ourselves a scant 143 days from the fourth playing of the North Star Shootout. It is my distinct pleasure to continue this fine tradition, and I must say that I think we’ve cooked up something truly special this year.
Without further ado:
WHEN: Saturday, July 15 2023
WHERE: Francis A. Gross Golf Course AKA “Gross National”
COST: TBD, but expect $200-230
FORMAT: AM Shotgun - Team/Individual Quota; PM - Match Play Bracket Playoff
AM SHOTGUN - INDIVIDUAL/TEAM QUOTA (18 Holes)
- Players divided equally into 8 Teams
- Each player plays their own ball for the duration
- Players will have a quota of Stableford points to earn based on their Playing Handicap (USGA 95%)
- All players’ points within each team will be summed to calculate Team Total
- Highest Team Total after 18 holes will win the Team Competition
- Top 2 players from each Team will advance to the Playoff Bracket
PM 2-MAN MATCH PLAY BRACKET PLAYOFF (6/6/6)
- Top 2 from each Team in the AM session get paired as a new 2-man team
- 2-man teams will be seeded based on AM Team Total and placed into a bracket (1 vs. 8, 2 vs. 7, etc.)
- 6-hole Fourball matches, winners advance to next level of bracket i.e. Quarterfinals will have 4 matches played on holes 1-6, 4 winning teams advance to semifinals on holes 7-12, 2 winners of semis advance to finals on holes 13-18
- Handicapped at 90% PH per USGA Fourball allowance
- Ties after 6 holes broken by last point scored. If no points were scored, lower seed will advance
- Winning 2-man team wins the Shootout!
MATCH PLAY PLAYOFF WINNERS
The 2-man Team that qualifies for the Playoff and wins their 3 Playoff matches will win the North Star Shootout 4 at large - the whole enchilada. They will receive:
- Eternal glory, of course
- Invitations to the 2023 NIT
- Probably some other cool shit
TEAM QUOTA WINNERS
The Team from the AM session with the highest quota total will win some Very Cool Custom Merch of some kind (TBD) and one free adult beverage on the Jefe @bignanski
Gross National is the site of the 4th annual Shootout. This City of Minneapolis-owned parkland course came to be in 1925 and now bears the name of “Mr. Park Board” himself, Francis A. Gross. Gross served as a Minneapolis park commissioner for 32 years between 1910 and 1949 and president of the Park Board 1917-1919 and 1936-1948.
“Was it selected for it’s classical architecture?”, you ask. Well, no. It was, however; the first golf course in Minneapolis with grass greens and tees. So there’s that which is pretty neat.
“Is it a hidden gem in a state packed with great public offerings?” Again, not really. It is squarely good. Many have said it’s the best of the Minneapolis munis.
“Well then, Nanski, why should I come play the Shootout?” Because, friend, Gross National was selected for two very important reasons:
- It is affordable - so affordable, in fact, that we were able to secure the entire course for the day. One full day, as much golf as you care to play.
- It is conveniently located in the shadow of downtown Minneapolis - 20 minutes from MSP International Airport and less than 5 from your hotel chain of choice.
“But Nanski, I didn’t make it to the finals. What am I supposed to do with the rest of my day?”
That’s the great part about renting the whole course - whatever you’d like. Want to go off on 10 and play another 18? Go for it. Want to caddy for one of the guis in the Playoffs or just follow the matches? Go for it! Want to do a little of both and then get some cross-country going when Golden Hour hits? I’ll be right there with you, friend. The best events (imho) have something for everyone, and that is what we hope to bring you at the 2023 Shootout.
Important Note: Actual registration will open via Golf Genius on April 1, 2023. There are many reasons for this but the main one is that you will pay during registration. This guy ain’t holding the bag for people who can’t commit.
Having said that, it wouldn’t be a Refuge event without a spreadsheet, so I’m going to give you a spreadsheet (if you like your spreadsheet, you can keep your spreadsheet). Just remember that you are not registered until you pay starting April 1.
We will once again be benefitting Gillette Children’s Specialty Care, a locally based but globally recognized leader in the treatment of rare and complex pediatric disorders. Truly one of the greatest organizations around. Your Shootout entry fee will include a small donation, but if you choose to donate on your own please let me know so I can track the total we raise through this event.
SEE YOU ALL IN JULY!
- NSS4 Logo Design Contest (!)
- Registration Link (April 1)
- NSS4 Merch
- Charity Raffle