NLU Ladies

@Lizzierabs Had commented she was in?
Unless she didn’t make they cut.

Either way, I’m sure everyone will be happy to have you. My wife and her friend might come up to St Andrews for a Wed afternoon pub crawl after the morning round on The Old Course. You’d be welcome to join us!

2 Likes

Just another request/tip when you’re playing with women: be aware of your walking. It’s something super subtle and I wouldn’t expect guys to pick up on but it’s something I’ve become really aware of as I’ve played a lot as a single this summer. When I hit from the forward tees my playing partners will have their bags ready to go and will start walking as soon as I hit. By the time I’m done watching my shot and getting my bag ready they’ll be 100+ yards ahead of me. On courses where the red tees only get 15-30 yrds advantage I’ll often be first to hit in the fairway too, even after a good drive! So just be mindful of that. It’s not ideal to rush off the tee, rush to your ball and then feel rushed hitting your second all while your playing partners are well ahead of you.

19 Likes

ready golf is the expected etiquette in most of the places I play. The things you describe are not intended to make you feel rushed. Don’t feel rushed!

Your experience is not limited to women. It’s also for crooked hitters, old people, and less skilled people. As your game progresses it will occur less and less.

As long as you are not taking undue time, I think the rushing feeling is likely self imposed. No one cares if you are 100 yards behind and are playing ready golf. They are usually trying to find their own ball and make decisions about how to play next they may be helping find someone else’s ball in effort to maintain pace But honestly you shouldn’t feel they are rushing you specifically.

Have fun on your personal golf journey and also on your trip!

1 Like

Even a good women player can have the same experience @Sarah mentioned. I’ve been guilty of it many times, mostly when we played with my mom.

It’s a point we should keep in mind.

5 Likes

Thanks Steve - it is an experience anyone playing different tee boxes would have. It’s just that’s more frequent for women.

3 Likes

I’m sorry, but I can’t let that typo slide. I feel bad, but I’m laughing my ass off at my desk and getting some weird looks.

6 Likes

Posting here too…

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/golf-fashion-back-to-regularly-scheduled-shenanigans/5013/706?u=sarah

Ashley Mayo responded to some posts in her instagram stories a couple of weeks ago on this topic. She may have saved them or she may be able to send them to you. She discussed clothing options at various price points.

1 Like

LOL at the price points on this stuff. What gives?

Did I just see a $95 hat?

1 Like

Don’t even get me started…

1 Like

While I’m here, can someone let me know what is a very comfortable pair of ladies’ slippers (that I can buy on Amazon). I need to give someone a gift.

3 Likes

Follow Abby Liebenthal on instagram (@abbyliebs). She runs Marketing for Imperial and is always posting about womens clothing.

I’m sure if you check out her page there’s probably a million different clothing recommendations.

1 Like

Top post: Barstool Classic…

Tows the company line well, no doubt. Wouldn’t call her a trendsetter by any means.

Thrilled to have found this group. I joined the Refuge a while back and honestly forgot about it until recently (stay at home mom of 3 kids under 4 so life is insane to say the least).

I’ve played since I was 5, competitively through high school, worked at KU’s home course in Lawrence in the pro shop and as beer cart girl through college to get free golf, lost the game for a few years after that, and NLU was a huge reason I got back into it.

My husband and I joined a club in KC a few years back. It’s struggling right now and is losing members left and right, but the flip side of that sad fact is that I can routinely walk 18 in around 2 1/2 hours which is huge with what babysitters charge these days (brutal!).

I would say I play with my husband and his friends 90% of the time, and I’ve always wished more of my girl friends would catch the bug. Happy to find a group here!

19 Likes

Welcome to the Refuge! Large Kansas City contingent here! I’m not one of them, but at the rate I’m traveling there for work it definitely feels like I am…

3 Likes

Welcome!!! It’s always nice to have more ladies around here :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve struggled with this for years! The selection at pro shops is normally atrocious. I tend to wear pretty classic styles and I wait until there are some decent sales. I’ve had good luck with the following:

Also, Nike released these a while back…

https://www.nike.com/t/cortez-g-womens-golf-shoe-pqn0qW/CI1670-100

They’re some of my favorite golf shoes and I have no idea why they didn’t make them for men. Not a bad price point either.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Welcome! Glad to have you here :slight_smile:

1 Like