NLU Ladies

I’m not foreclosing the possibility that there are women on this board, but let’s just say I’m skeptical.

5 Likes

Are you suggesting men play the part of women on the internet? I’ve never heard of such a thing. :wink:

1 Like

These are great points. Thank you!

1 Like

Out of curiosity, how good is the best women golfer you know? I know a handful of guys who would be considered good golfers (range from +3 to shoots in the mid to low 80s) but the best women golfers I know would be bogey golfers

Jennifer Kupcho plays/trains out of my club. Her personal coach is our club’s Head of Instruction. I’ve watched her on the range and playing multiple times.

So NCAA winner good. Or Women’s Amateur at Augusta winner good. LPGA good.

1 Like

My wife’s cousin played college golf at a Big Ten school. Somehow I have never met her, but I suppose I adjacently know her.

Other than that I dated a girl in high school that played DIII golf, so her I guess.

My boss’s daughter played at a D2 college and won the biggest school division State Championship as a senior in high school. I played with her a couple times a year or so after she was done playing in college and she still shot mid 70s every round from the women’s tees.

I know a couple female pros through caddying and a coed junior golf program I was part of. One of the pros at a local course is also a woman, and she can obviously play pretty well. I’m guessing I’m a bit of an outlier there, however.

A woman at our group is an 8 handicap. At my former club we had a woman who was +1. She won the city championship in Cincy this year

And the junior Assitant at our club is a woman. Played in in college. Thought about trying to play professionally.

And I played in the golf team at Vandy. So I knew all the girls on the team.

My friend’s wife played on the Symetra tour. He’s a 3, and she destroys him nearly each time they play, all while talking trash to him the entire time. It’s a beautiful thing to watch.

My course runs a 4 person - two couple scramble, with the ladies playing from the reds and guys playing from the whites. She won the long drive competition with 40+ yard lead from the red tees. She’s an awesome scramble teammate!

3 Likes

The club champion at the club I was at in Charlotte was a +something and state senior women’s champion a few times.

Took up the game in her 20s I believe. :flushed:

2 Likes

A lot of good, encouraging posts here. Welcome to the game! It gets very addictive as you get better and just KNOW you can do better next time.

My wife is very new to golf, so here’s a few suggestions based on our experience…

-Don’t spend too much time on your own developing bad habits. Get a lesson (spend no more than $50) and watch some YouTube videos. Golf With Aimee is a good follow on YouTube.
-Don’t buy more than 3 lessons until you know you want to keep going and you are seeing improvement.
-If you can find a women’s clinic, that’s a really good way to learn and meet others in the same boat.
-Play with at least one other person at your skill level. You can encourage each other and you won’t feel like such an oddball. It’'s uncomfortable enough as it is.
-When you do finally play…start at 9 holes. 18 is too much and can get tiring when you take a LOT of swings.

3 Likes

I hosted a friend of a coworker at my club once. After she birdied the first three holes, I googled her. Turns out she was a Futures Tour god in the 80s/90s and the first Monday qualifier to ever win on the LPGA Tour. Hands down the best golfer I’ve ever played with.

Edit: here’s her Wikipedia page. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurel_Kean

5 Likes

Hey now…

2 Likes

I meant substantively a better golfer, scoring and consistency wise. That’s all. Other than that, you’re still better than she is.

I was just kidding. Sounds like in three holes she made 3x as many birdies as I make in a round lol

Lol I know. So was I. Never take me seriously. Not once.

but you’re a lawyer. If I can’t trust you, who can I trust??

2 Likes

You can trust @JohnnyPanton. He’s a lawyer. Trial attorney, copyright lawyer, litigator, you name it. He’s a lawyer.

1 Like