NLU Ladies

I know that in my area, there is a program called “Get Golf Ready”. These are a series of group lessons which will give you the basics . The PGA needs to advertise this program more, because it would take a lot of the intimidation factor out of learning golf. It is very easy to not care about sucking at golf when everyone around you really sucks!

You can also dive right in and buy one-on-one lessons. It is tricky though, because the instructor’s personality will definitely affect how much you get out of a lesson. You don’t know what you are getting until you take a lesson or two.

Also everyone sucks at golf, to varying degrees. When you get on the course, don’t apologize for bad shots. If you are really having a hard time on a hole (topped shots, etc), don’t feel bad about picking up the ball to move up or go to the next hole. This way, you can get a bit of a mental reset. Golf is really hard and at some point you will find “something” and it will feel good.

It will seem like there are a lot of people on this forum who are really good at the game. Keep it in perspective that this is a micro-niche of the golf world and they represent probably 5% of the people who play in terms of skill level.

3 Likes

I got started by taking a drop in lesson at a local driving range. It was a once a week just ladies and was a great way to learn the basics. Numbers were anywhere from 3-15ish women depending on the day. I’d contact your local ranges to see if they offer something similar. If you have some one on one time with your instructor get your grip dialled in. I think that’s the least intuitive part of the game but most important foundational aspect. Have fun!!

2 Likes

Key words " everyone sucks at golf, to varying degrees." THE TRUTH lol

3 Likes

I second what @Sarah said, but check local courses too. When I wanted to get back into playing a lot I found a local course that had women’s Wednesday night on course lesson/playing group run by the pro. It was like 20 bucks a week, started at 6 pm. Had an hour group lesson on the course then we could go out and play until dark.

There were people of all abilities there and it was super fun and helpful.

1 Like

First off, thanks to everyone for being so cool about this. I had to work myself up to post this because I didn’t want to sound like an idiot on a board full of people who know what they’re talking about (or at least pretend to :slight_smile: ).

I think what I’m hearing is that I should probably stick to the range and the backyard for a little while until I feel more confident about getting the ball in the air consistently. The thing about working on it by myself is that I literally have no idea what I should be doing vs what I am doing, and I don’t want to spend all my time bedding in some sort of awful swing that will never work. Obviously that’s why a lesson would be helpful. Not sure where to get one though - it doesn’t look like any of the few courses within an hour drive of me have a PGA pro on staff, does that matter?

Also, glad to hear that everyone else sucks at golf too, that will help me work up the courage to get out there eventually.

5 Likes

Thanks! I’m glad you all are an encouraging lot.

I have watched a lot of Me and My Golf, and I generally feel it’s been helpful, but I guess I wouldn’t know whether or not I’m doing any of it correctly. I usually congratulate myself as long as the ball goes in the air. It’s almost never going straight, but up is up at this point. I will focus in on the clubs you mentioned - that feels easier than wondering what to do with all of them individually.

@Sarah @ChickPhilA @Shankadelic I was reading your replies above re: your local ladies’ leagues. I am worried that I will experience something similar. I feel like this happens with ladies’ groups no matter the context, for some reason which I have never been able to understand.

Yah this is why I’m suggesting NOT A league, but a lesson group type thing. The one they ran here taught everything - not just the swing. But like how to fix a ball mark on the green, etiquette around the tees, sand,etc… focused on short game stuff first and worked the way down to driver by end of the summer. Some of us were a bit more advanced and the pro could tell and would have us work on a more nuanced drill while the others did basics.

Also, I should also agree with getting yourself to local par 3 course and just playing. That’s how I learned. Playing local 9 hole par three. Then I got a job there and would go to the range every day before my shift. Made friends with other golf people who worked there and they would give me some pointers.

When I moved to Vermont just kept hitting range and the local par 3s and taking any free help I could get. I didn’t play a real 18 hole course until I was like 23 but had played par 3 courses since I was single digits in age. You can figure out a lot of things on par 3 course.

1 Like

That sounds awesome, and exactly what I’d be looking for. I’ll keep my eyes out for something like that. I love living out here in the sticks, but this kind of stuff isn’t usually available nearby.

1 Like

@NotGreat,where do you live? Someone from the Refuge would likely be more than happy to show you the ropes at the range.

4 Likes

Will PM you

Laz is the group appointed leader here in the Refuge and probably the best man of the lot - he could easily try to find another trustworthy member of the group nearby to help you get a solid foundation down.

7 Likes

First, kudos to you for wanting to learn to play. I know you said you’re “in the sticks,” so this may not be worthwhile, but some high schools have adult classes and have golf lessons.

Otherwise I agree with everyone’s advice about starting at a par 3 course, if possible. Golfers are nice for the most part and will answer questions and play with you to help you learn.

God luck, and let us know how you progress!

Even if there is no par 3 course near you, make the course near a par 3 course. There is no reason you have to tee it up from the tee markers.

One of the most important things for beginning golfers is etiquette and speed of play. Most people who have played a fair amount have the etiquette.However, I’ve played with a lot of avid golfers that don’t understand how to play quickly.

I’ve played with plenty of beginners or not so good golfers that could still play quickly. It comes down to simple things - being ready when it’s your turn, knowing when to talk/tell a story or not, knowing where to leave your bag/push cart/cart to get to the next hole quickly, and generally being mindful of the people around you.

5 Likes

@NotGreat - you don’t need a PGA pro to help you. My dad was far from that but he was really good at helping beginning golfers. One summer he took a group of women from the office that wanted to learn to play out the driving range for several weeks. He got them all to get the ball in air pretty consistently.

And, it’s not about how good the person is as a player either. I was far better than my dad but suck at helping people.

1 Like

Another thought…don’t feel like you have the play the game “right.” Not comfortable swinging from the rough? Pull it into the short grass. Struggle with turf contact? Feel free to put your approach on a tee. Adapt the game as much as you want to keep it fun.

5 Likes

I have almost nothing to add except HELL YES to all the women - keep playing golf and please keep active on The Refuge, both inside and outside this thread.

12 Likes

Thanks! And to the bros here, don’t be hesitant to play with the ladies you know. If you hear a female coworker is into golf, invite her out! Be willing to get paired up with a woman playing as a single. It’s a daunting game to get into and all the more so when you’re starting point is playing courses that aren’t set up for you and fighting stereotypes that women are slow players, ladies league groups suck (truth in that though…), it’s a pain to play with someone playing from different tees…but we can be fun too!

17 Likes

I feel like I just watched someone #GrowTheGame! Good on y’all!