NLU Ladies

Appreciate your perspective. Menstruation should be as normalized as any other bodily functions, and yes, it was great hearing Lydia talk somewhat casually about it.

Congrats on breaking 80!

5 Likes

Also I usually find that when playing partners make stupid “the way I’m telling you that you suck is by comparing you to a lady” jokes, I end up smoking them…

Absolutely love this, by the way.

6 Likes

Not a woman and far be it from me to tell any woman how to feel about it but even as an unabashed diehard Tiger fan, I hated it as well. Not trying to act like he should be arrested or anything, just a kinda lame look.

I’ve already had multiple friends send it to me (including more who do not play golf or watch than those who do) and been put in the position of either just ignoring it or kind of being like “yeah, ha ha funny” rather than bothering with being like “damn dude that sucks”

6 Likes

I ended up playing with three dudes as a single a while back and one made the “you hit that with your purse” joke to his bud and then looked at me apologetically. I ended up beating each of them by at least 7 shots over 9…

16 Likes

It’s Tiger Woods. The golf community has been giving him a collective pass forever. Multiple drunk driving charges? It’s Tiger. Serial infidelity? It’s Tiger. Addicted to pain killers? It’s Tiger. Car wreck while speeding without any logical explanation or an on site/hospital sobriety test? It’s Tiger.

Dude is a scumbag. This shit isn’t new. Why would it be any different? It’s Tiger.

13 Likes

Nah. And I found my twitter feed’s response to this kind of interesting. Golf media folks thought it was funny or at the very least didn’t criticize Cat. General sports media folks found it hacky (at best) and fairly shitty at worst.

Update!
At least one golf media member figured it was worth asking about! Good for her.

6 Likes

Sorry to barge in but is this an appropriate place to ask for opinions on what kind of clubs my wife should get as a beginner?

She’s athletic and pretty strong, but also short. We don’t live anywhere we can find a bunch of used clubs to try so I am wondering about what kind of shafts we should look for. Do you guys play women’s flex shafts, or something else?

Thanks.

Amen! Thanks for posting, I was just coming on here to look for a place to say something similar (yet far less eloquent). But, mega cringe moment for me.

1 Like

Yeah guy beyond his golf game is a straight up loser.

If jokes have to be said in private they probably shouldn’t be said at all.

Or maybe I’m just more “snowflake” as a girl dad now.

4 Likes

It was Claire Rogers who asked. As I said in the tourney thread, a great example of why representation in golf media matters.

5 Likes

A great follow up would be “Tiger could you further articulate the joke?”

25 Likes

I hate this. There is a WOMAN in my ladies league that says this to herself when she leaves a putt short. I don’t know how to tell her that it’s offensive.

To further make matters worse / more depressing, take a look at the comments section of Golf Digest’s Instagram post on the ordeal.

7 Likes

See what you have to realize is that we’re the problem…

How much better would tigers response be if tiger said “I was trying to make a joke with my buddy. In hindsight, the joke was premised on women being lesser and that was not something I should have implied. I appreciate how it comes across for two of the best male golfers to play off the idea that women are somehow lesser in the game if golf” vs “I’m sorry if you were offended”. That puts the onus on the onlooker, not the action.

33 Likes

100%

15 Likes

“I’m sorry if you were offended”.

Not that we should ever expect Tiger to have a remotely decent media record on even minor controversies but I’m amazed at the response to his “apology”

Edit: Jesus, shouldn’t have gone to the replies on Claire’s tweet…people are the worst.

3 Likes

Try some A or Senior flex shafts instead of L flex (which may be too whippy for her if she has some speed in her swing) and have them cut down a bit to start if needed. If you don’t locally have a good place to get used clubs, Ebay, Craiglsit, FB Marketplace etc…could help with the procurement of something inexpensive to start out with. You don’t need “women” specific clubs.

I’d start with a putter and a 7 iron and a driver and add on from there.

5 Likes

Goodness, sooooo lame of Tiger.

I remember when Soly said, and I’m paraphrasing, that he tells jokes in a way that it’s clear everyone just laughs no matter what. Same with this, but worse, just the casual sexism I bet no one ever dare call out in his circle so he probably thinks it’s both funny and juuuust fine.

6 Likes

Gotta love that men will suddenly be unafraid to be seen holding and/or buying feminine hygiene products for once in their lives :roll_eyes:.

Until they need to hand it to/buy it for someone who menstruates.

The first thing I saw was an extreme closeup and it looked photoshopped, and I was like who the fuck cares, and then I saw the video and was pissed at both of them.

As a “girl dad” I’ve got a menstruating teenager in my house less than two yards from me at the moment, and it made me question wether or not to get them into golf.

So fucking stupid. Feminine hygiene products should be free, and if not free, tax deductible or reimbursed by health insurance.

6 Likes

The joke was obviously objectifying and distasteful.

What is a funnier, less objectifying version of the same prank? Is there one?
Or is there no prank in this lane that really works because the objectifying is kinda always the point?

I’m genuinely asking because I have a pretty tame sense of humor personally, but what would be considered generally “blue” jokes also don’t really get me riled up.