NLU Ladies

Hey @teejay - any of the all in one packages will be fine for her if you want to go full starter set, but I always think just getting a used 7 iron, a putter, and maybe a driver (it’s fun to hit bombs) is really all you need to “start”. The driver and 7I will be good for the range to get the swing of things. Then when you graduate to “on course” at like a par 3 - the 7i and the putter will be all she needs to start. IF you go to a regulation sized course, have her hit a drive for fun, pick up, and drop the ball at like 50 yards out and use the 7i and putter to get into the hole. As she gets the hang of it from that, and really enjoys it, start to add additional clubs. The used clubs at 2nd swing or PGA superstore or craigs list, play it again sports, silk road should be able to get her started pretty affordably.

In other ladies news - we have a new long sleeve SPF shirt in the shop as of today (for nest members, goes live for all tomorrow with the newsletter). I like this because it has a small v neck to wear under polos without having that two shirt look up at the neck!

3 Likes

Thanks Casey, good advice, very much appreciated…Go Phils!

1 Like

Random thought as I was re-reading through this topic. Can we pin a post to the bottom of the topic?

Here is where you can get your wife/girlfriend a starter set:

• x
  • y
  • z

Here is where you can get your wife/girlfriend better clubs:

• a
  • b
  • c

Here is where you can get your wife/girlfriend golf clothes:

• m
  • n
  • o

Just funny how a decent portion of this topic is guys randomly popping in and asking these questions over and over.

9 Likes

Sounds like you should start a new thread dedicated to dudes asking the NLU Ladies what they should about their wives and girlfriends!

NLU WAG Q&A

1 Like

Did anyone sign up for The Lily with Fore the Ladies? I got in! But I’m going alone and wondered if there would be any NLU ladies there I can make friends with.

3 Likes

My wife @TrapQueen is looking into it (she’s a nlu lady, but not really a message board person so not active on the refuge). If she signs up I’ll connect you, but otherwise she would be the blonde with the tie dye wayward skeleton driver headcover…

1 Like

I thought about it. Now wishing I had!

1 Like

Not too late to join the waitlist! I called like 5 mins after I got the email and glad I did given how fast it filled up. Happy to see so much demand!

1 Like

Casey, random bump of an old post, but wondering if you’re bag is still setup this way, and if you know what swing weight you’re playing?

I’m looking into building out and reshafting clubs for my wife. She’s the same height and her wrist to floor measurement is suggesting a similar setup.

1 Like

So I recently was fit again and got all different shit going on. I moved from Big Bertha irons to the Apex DCB 21’s; we went with A flex (i guess that is what they call senior now) in the Project X Cypher Black 50 Graphite shafts, which were a bit lighter than my original shafts. Not sure what the swing weight is on these (they didn’t have that on my new fit chart) - still 1/2" short than “normal” men’s length.

All my woods/driver/hybrids are now Rogue ST Max - R flex in the driver (10.5 degree head), A flex in everything else. Driver is -1.5" in length, rest are -1" in length. I’ve been hitting the shit out of these clubs in this configuration with way less dispersion than before.

The old swing weights in the irons was C8, wedges were C8 for the A, C9 for the 56, and D0 for the 60, Driver and Fairways were D2, and Hybrids were D1.

3 Likes

Thanks! That helps a bunch. Seeing that you’re playing the regular DCB irons is reassuring as well.

My wife has been playing my old steel-shafted Rogue X’s, and my plan is to swap in some graphite shafts to help her pick up some speed as the club head itself should be a good fit for her.

I started getting a little worried when I went to compare specs against the women’s rogue irons, and saw just how much different the lofts are and started second guessing this plan. So seeing you’re in the standard DCBs is reassuring.

2 Likes

Yah, I really try to avoid the “women’s” specific clubs. They usually have crappy colorways and dumb names (and the stock shaft is always L flex and they are -1" in length in the irons)

I hit the rogue ST Max irons (normal, non-womens) and really did not like those at all. The normal Apex were a bit too unforgiving with mishits, the DCBs felt good and had the forgiveness.

2 Likes

Yeah and there is like a 5 degree difference in lofts between the 7 irons, between the mens and womens sets.

Just managed to score an A wedge off of ebay for $50, which should help round out the set.

I’m going to have her play around with the spare regular flex driver shaft I’ve got. She’s got an A flex shaft in her driver now that she says is to whippy, even though she hits the crap out of it.

2 Likes

It seems silly to have men’s and women’s irons. Really what matters is swing speed, right?

It’s no different than having men’s and women’s tees. What matters is driving distance and ability.

6 Likes

This is wild. I never knew.

Just got two pairs of Abendroth golf pants. I haven’t played in them yet but initial review is that the fit and style is very nice. Especially with the Peggy pant. Don’t love the material in the Peggy as it’s a bit like nylon-y. Not sure how to describe the material. But it’s a very stretchy nylon. The Ruth is also a neat fit and cool color (I got the brown) and the material is soft and stretchy.

1 Like

@abbylieb - I loved your podcast interview with Michelle Money and her business partner! It’s hilarious to think that when we were watching Michelle on Brad’s second season that one day she’d be engaged to Mike Weir and getting involved in the golf space! Even though they’re both somewhat new to golf and not super knowledgeable about it yet (Kelly Norda :sweat_smile: ) it was cool that they nailed that there’s a big missing middle in how golf is “pitched” to women!

2 Likes

Appreciate you listening! They’re absolutely hilarious and from what I’ve seen, their spring collection is pretty fun and fashion forward.

1 Like

So a lot of golf social media is talking about how awesome Tiger is for handing JT a tampon after outdriving him. This really bothers me, as it normalizes the unfortunate old hacky misogynist golf course jokes, like calling someone a feminine name when they leave a putt short. And it equates women with being ‘less than’; I drove it farther than you, so you’re weaker than me, which must mean you’re a woman, because women are weaker than men, and isn’t that hilarious?!

I can’t help but feel that if someone that people don’t like had done this (see the EAL and Firepit threads), it would be more criticized this way, but because it was Tiger, everyone thinks it’s the ultimate in funny and cool, and the few criticisms I’ve seen of it have been met with massive amounts of ‘it’s funny/it’s not a big deal/it was just between them’; So being misogynistic is cool if it’s not meant to be seen by everyone? I also suspect that way too many dudes will be carrying a tampon in their golf bag this year to do the same thing…

Or am I taking it too seriously? I’d love to hear the perspective of women who golf. What are your thoughts on it?

26 Likes

It’s honestly really fucking stupid and I’m glad someone said something because it actually has been bothering me and I didn’t want to call it out and be like the “grumpy lady”.

Especially (not to get too TMI but let’s because normalize talking about women’s health), golf is not always kind to people with a menstruation cycle. I’ve definitely had times trying to deal with not suitable washrooms etc. My last round was almost completely derailed by not being prepared, fortunately, a playing partner did hand me a tampon and I broke 80 for the first time (no big deal).

Lydia Ko’s candidness over her time of the month issues was so warmly received and it felt positive and moving forward. This just feels a caveman joke.

Also I usually find that when playing partners make stupid “the way I’m telling you that you suck is by comparing you to a lady” jokes, I end up smoking them…

37 Likes