NLU Ladies

We appreciate the NLU ladies!!! Any of you making it out to the Summit?

1 Like

I nearly had my bags packed, and then I saw the dates. I’ll be in Scandinavia for two weeks then. Next year!

I’m on a different vacation that week. I’m hoping for the next one that the NLU boys have a ladies flight. If I was available I doubt I would have gone since I would have been nervous about crashing a boys trip…(any chance of that @Soly, @Tron, @djpie??)

2 Likes

No one supports the ladies golf brigade like @Soly @Tron @djpie Randy and THE St Rappeo (don’t know their handles…sorry fellas. They will make something happen!

1 Like

I don’t play, but I wish I lived in the area so I could attend the party. It sounds like an awesome event with the live podcast and all the other activities.

Wasn’t able to make the dates work this time around with other commitments already on the books. Next time!!

I crash the boys events all the time at our club. LOL. I was going to bring my husband if we could make it work, though, as he is a fan of the pod and also a golfer…he just is not as nerdy as I am hanging out on golf message boards and what not :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

All of our club events actually are co-ed tournaments (except for like, men’s club championship or men’s night league), but most time there are like only 2-3 women playing in them. We do our own women’s member-guest, and had women’s club championship, but everything else - co-ed.

2 Likes

Hey Sarah - we’re keen on getting more ladies involved in the events. Both have been come-one, come-all, but we haven’t seen much interest from ladies as of yet. If doing a separate flight would make a difference in driving more participation then we’re all for it. LMK if any other ideas too!

11 Likes

If you’ll have her, I’d like to add little Eleanor to the NLU Ladies roll. Born July 23.

She doesn’t have enough rounds to get an official handicap yet and probably isn’t the best playing partner - not a great conversationalist and could make some noise in your backswing - but she seems to have a good heart, a sense of humor, and a can-do attitude.

For your consideration.

41 Likes

Welcome, baby Eleanor! The younger you learn to play, the easier it will be. And you will have friends for your lifetime no matter where you play. :golfing_man:t3:‍♀

1 Like

I took up golf because my wife played in high school. She introduced me to the game. Little Nora doesn’t stand a chance. She’s born to the life like a friggin’ coal miner’s kid.

7 Likes

I’m not sure if there’s a clear answer. For me personally, the biggest deterrents were not knowing if I would be the only woman there (and then getting in the way of boys weekend) and not carrying a handicap (and then being a massive liability playing at a scratch). The latter I’m can address by actually getting a handicap now that I know I’ll need one for the next event. The former could be through having a ladies’ flight, the discussions here, maybe if you guys got your partners or girl friends involved etc.

I’ll also suggest a future venue: Whistler, B.C. There’s lots of golf but it’s also a place guys might want to bring their partners to because there’s lots of great stuff going on there: other outdoor activities (hiking, zip line, mountain biking), restaurants and bars, shopping, spas, including hot and cold tub spa (shout out @MerchCzar ). Also it’s maybe the most beautiful place.

Overall, you guys have done a great job of welcoming lady fans through your LPGA coverage and lack of “you gotta see this guy’s girlfriend’s Instagram!!” content. So that’s great!

4 Likes

Are you kidding? I would gladly partner up w/ you @Sarah- even at scratch- as I’m sure many folks here would. Would we win? Probably not, but who cares.

BTW- you can always get a GHIN through some guy’s backyard/BCN here.

5 Likes

I’ll definitely play in a mixed foursome or a ladies flight. And the other golf entertainment in Colorado sounds like good fun. Count me in for the next outing!

1 Like

Laz and Sarah LLP

3 Likes

Do scores need to be posted at all? They should just post where they place.

Forewarning: I haven’t thought through the ramifications of this idea because this is the internet.

Maybe this isn’t the right thread but I’m way too intimidated to start a new one so here goes:

I’ve been wanting to start learning to play for a little while now, but I have no idea where to start. I bought an old set of clubs for $20 at a garage sale and I’ve been hitting foam balls in my backyard this summer. I’m sure this is not the ideal setup for learning but it is what it is. I’ve gone to our local driving range twice and I want to get out on a course somewhere, but I’m afraid I’m not ready? I really sucked on the range, I have no idea how far I can hit anything, I don’t know which club to use in any given situation… I’m starting completely from zero here. I live in a very rural area; there are some courses around-ish but I don’t have any friends who golf who could go with me or take me to their home club. My husband is not an athlete and doesn’t want to play, but will happily stay home with our kids so I can go out occasionally.

Here are my questions: should I just show up somewhere? If I take 300 shots to get around (obviously I’m exaggerating but I honestly have no idea how it might go) will I be bothering everyone? Should I spend more time at the range before I try to play a whole round? I’m sure lessons will be suggested, but candidly, they’re probably not in the budget.

I hope these aren’t dumb questions - I’m truly a beginner here so any friendly advice and suggestions are welcome! Thanks for your help!

12 Likes

Check with the local courses pro. They probably can help you get started, maybe they have cheap lessons that would fit your budget . But - They may have ideas on what would be a good time to play when the course isn’t busy and may have some events (women’s league or a scramble) coming up they could get you in. I would also spend enough time at the range to where you are comfortable getting the ball in the air most of the time. It doesn’t have to go far, just enough to keep moving. Your best bet though - see if there’s a par 3 course in the area - that’s always the best place to start.

I’m sure others will give some great (and better) advice than I can, but I just want to say first how bad ass this is and how happy it makes me to hear it. Keep it up and don’t quit when you get discouraged, because that will happen.

Everyone’s first suggestion will be lessons, and don’t always rule that out as being too expensive. Every 18 hole golf course near you should have a club pro that gives lessons, and in a rural area they’ll most likely be cheap. My local pro does lessons for $35 for an hour lesson. Doesn’t get much better than that.

There are a ton of options besides paying for lessons, though. If I had to give you advice based on your situation, I’d say keep doing what you’re doing and hit the driving range as much as you possibly can. Start watching some free lessons on YouTube (Me and My Golf are amazing, and also have a free website with tons of lessons there). Practice in the back yard, at the house, the range, etc. until you feel like you can hit driver, something off the ground like a 3 wood, a short iron like an 8 or 9 iron, a wedge and putting isn’t that big of a deal but practice a little bit. Knowing you can hit those clubs is 3/4 of the battle before you go out on the course in my opinion.

If you go out on the course alone just be considerate - go very early or in the evening the first few times, and if people are behind you let them through. Don’t care if you play one hole or 9, just worry about advancing the ball.

If you don’t want to go alone, look for a women’s league at a nearby course. Often times you can put your name down as a substitute, and if someone needs a partner that week they’ll call you to come play. Great way to meet people and get out so you’re not alone.

I’ll shut up now and let wiser people give advice, but keep it up, whatever you do.
Not sure where you’re located but every person here is great company, and if meeting internet strangers doesn’t scare you I have no doubt someone here would show you the ropes if you were up for it.

1 Like

If there is a local par 3 course I would start there. Usually that is where people tend to start and allows you a comfort level where you don’t feel too “in the way”. My biggest piece of advice for anyone starting out is to realize you are not the only one out there that sucks. There are plenty of hackers out there on the same level. Just be courteous and let people play through if they are having to wait on every shot.

1 Like