Nest Invitational Tournament aka NIT - Viiibbiiinnnggg

This seems appropriate here.

9 Likes

I know, I guess Iā€™m not articulating well. The gross double bogey max is an advantage to the HC b/c the blow-up holes donā€™t hurt their quota score. They have greater variance in their hole-by-hole scores, so the double max protects them relative to medal play. Those blow-up holes are more common than a scratchā€™s birdies.

1 Like

At my club in the regular Saturday game, we balance the high-capper advantage in the quota game by have a -1 for worse than double bogey. Over time that helps low caps and high caps come out pretty even-- Iā€™ve seen the numbers over a yearā€™s worth of play.

5 Likes

Linear Quota game with 36 handicap vs scratch favors the 36 very obviously. Itā€™s just math.

4 Likes

6 Likes

Yeah, that would be almost impossible for a scratch to win. Scratch could shoot -2 and still lose to 3 bogeys.

We left it all on the field Friday afternoon when it was toughest, kind of like that team that goes to triple OT in the divisional round, only to get blown away in the conference title game the next week

3 Likes

Not obvious to all, but yeah, thatā€™s what Iā€™m saying.

Especially since without negative points, itā€™s actually slightly shifted toward non-linear. Higher handicappers effectively get a bit from two of the ā€œreasonsā€ I listed above.

I say obviously because scratch nominally gets quota 25% of time, and 36 gets quota 100% of time.

Itā€™s all upside - no downside for the 36. Also iā€™d think not as much fun.

Maybe the field was just a bunch of vanity 'caps, and anytime they post at the same place, it swings the PCC pendulum?

7 Likes

Small change, but yeah.

@almostscratchonce, that could be the case. :slight_smile: +2 is pretty big, but the wind and hole locations could account for all of that 2. It wasnā€™t a 3, after all!

1 Like

Yes, but youā€™re just arguing why stableford in general may favor a high handicap (based on theoretical scoring likelihood) vs stroke play, and the discussion, started by @MrVinegar206, is that the quota version of stableford is a less friendly net game.

Itā€™s not hard to back out doing the math. Under either traditional stableford with handicaps, modified stableford with handicaps, or even modified stableford using 90% handicaps, the high handicappers have a much better chance of doing well than they do using the format we used.

Look at these two scores, one from a zero cap, and the other from a 20:

Under the quota game, the 20 HCP finishes 9 points behind the zero cap. Under a fully handicapped modified stableford (like weā€™re using, i.e., 0, 1, 2, 4, 8), theyā€™d be dead even (42 points to 42 points). Under a 90% HCP modified, the 20 would still only be 5 points behind (42 to 37). And obviously in stroke play, double bogey max, the 20 would be only 3 strokes behind. Because the quota undercounts handicap, and removes net birdies, eagles, etc., it disadvantages the high caps. (And this holds true in nearly every instance. Every time the 18 or 20 cap gets a gross double, she misses out on a point sheā€™d have gotten in net; everytime she makes a gross par, she misses out on two points, etc.)

2 Likes

It is interesting given we were the only ones there that day that the PCC is exclusively based on us. However the 3rd round was even I think. I would account the first round to extremely difficult conditions from the course. The second round could be accounted for by extremely high BAC levelsā€¦

11 Likes

Iā€™d like to add that I donā€™t think thereā€™s any sour grapes here. I had no expectations of competing for the title even if the game had been tilted towards lower HCs. My game is dogshit right now and I didnā€™t even play particularly well relative to that dogshit standard. But I am interested in how the math works on these different games. Variance and all of that.

Iā€™m a huge fan of the quota game. Itā€™s simple and straightforward. Keeps pace of play nice and quick. And is a lot fairer to a wide range of HCs than a lot of games. But it evidently (sample size: 1 88 person tourney) benefits high HCs when played to 100%.

5 Likes

Perhaps thatā€™s the case but I donā€™t think people are giving enough weight to the fact that it was a competition and with that came the intense scrutiny of trying to perform in the presence of many golf podcast enthusiasts :joy:.

Can you even quantify that pressure?

4 Likes

Given a large enough sample size, sure! :smiley:

Jesus this thread got very boring, very fast. Whereā€™s @jimithng23 at to spice things up a little bit?

19 Likes

Using these two scorecards and claiming they are comparable is in bad faith. It is a mini-psycho scorecard. An eagle + 3 birdie round is very rare for a scratch. Matty Bā€™s 4 birdie, 14 par is far more representative of a good round for a low capper.

Also, that bottom scorecard would have actually shot well over 95, but was saved by getting to pick up on 11! holes.

These are not equivalently good rounds for each player. And the top scorecard is about as ideal of -1 net as youā€™ll ever see.

2 Likes

I guess now might be a good time to bring up the back stopping?

17 Likes

5 Likes