Nest Invitational Tournament aka NIT - Viiibbiiinnnggg

Did anyone get a chance to talk with @Mwilhelm10 about the upcoming 4 ball tourney? He kept complaining to me that no one brought it up for the entire weekend.

7 Likes

@BaxterMSP it was basically like being 6ā€9 and people asking if you played basketball.

14 Likes

Iā€™d definitely score better if I played 22 holes. :wink:

3 Likes

The mayhem made it fun. I loved that it was ramped up (in hindsightā€¦ in the moment, Friday sucked).

6 Likes

Fun later, misery during.

There were so many pin placements that I was absolutely furious at. I know those greens and some spots were truly dastardly!

4 Likes

The USGA version of stableford scoring is barely an adjustment from stroke play.

Considering the entire message of this community as NO LAYING UP, justifies their change to making the values better than the USGA recommendations for scores better than gross par.
Also going off 100% course handicaps helps with the quota for higher handicaps.

3 Likes

I canā€™t speak for anyone else, but I was happy not playing in the final, and I heard a number of people say the same thing.

Also @bmasters pitching a perfect game deep into the back nine was something else. :grin:

12 Likes

Guisā€¦ this distribution was awesome. End Sentence.

10 Likes

17 Likes

Just catching up on this thread. Looks like you all had a killer time! Wish I could have made it down, but will definitely try and make it next year. Big shout to my guy @JCO for the W!

On another note, sounds like @GRWhitehead and the handicap committee need to have a heavy hand in next years eventā€¦

5 Likes

Mr. Presidentā€¦pleaseā€¦stopā€¦weā€™re winning too much. And @Double_Bogey_Dave is like ā€œNoā€¦weā€™re going to keep winningā€

2 Likes

Was @anon24718094 not talking about how ā€œweā€ qualified the whole time?

3 Likes

Nope. Didnā€™t say anything about it at all.

Nice try though!

1 Like

But thatā€™s standard Stableford scoring, and the relevant comparison is between Stableford scoring with handicaps and the quota game.

ITT: lots of butthurt vanity caps.

12 Likes

TL;DR version - games played at 100% handicap tend to favor higher handicaps because they have higher variances. Their bell curve is wider. This advantage grows when the points distribution is non-linear.

(It would shrink considerably, I think, if you didnā€™t award any points for gross bogeys or worse, but almost nothing is played that way. Negative points for double bogeys or worse is sometimes played and can shift the balance to favoring lower handicappers.)

Thatā€™s still relevant here. If you triple or quad it doesnā€™t hurt you relative to a double.

You donā€™t get negative points in Stableford scoring.

b. Scoring in Stableford

You are awarded points for each hole by comparing the number of strokes you have taken (including strokes made and penalty strokes) to the fixed target score for the hole. See the following chart for how you are awarded points in relation to the fixed target score:

Hole Played In Points
More than one over fixed target score or no score returned 0
One over fixed target score 1
Fixed target score 2
One under fixed target score 3
Two under fixed target score 4
Three under fixed target score 5
Four under fixed target score 6

Check out that PCC:

11 Likes

Just out of curiosity I did some excel nerd stuff. I havenā€™t played much quota anything so the thought process is interesting to me. I can see how people see the bonus points for birdie/eagle as advantageous to low caps. However I maintain that in tricked out conditions that advantage is negated due to extreme difficulty of making these :eagle:.

Okay little preliminary findings from this morning:
46 players had 30+ quotas (there were 2 in the finals. 4% representation)
34 had 20-29 quotas (2 in finals. 6% representation)
7 players <20 quotas (4 in finals. 57% representation)

In excel Iā€™m getting 32 rounds at quota. Of those:
14 were from 30+ (10% of rounds)
10 were from 20-29 (10% of rounds)
8 were from <20 (38% of rounds)

19 Likes