Nest Invitational Tournament aka NIT - Viiibbiiinnnggg

I’d also put in a plug for some of the organizers of events as a way to reward them for their hard work.

In CLT, @anon29849602 @tedscott and @RonniepND put in a lot of hard work to pull it off.

7 Likes

Yes----great idea

1 Like

and don’t forget @Double_Bogey_Dave!

5 Likes

Sorry if this is answered elsewhere but I searched before asking this: how do I sign up? I want to play at Sweetens in September. Is there a URL or form or email address?

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/september-in-sewanee-tennessee-golf-hiking-camping-meetup-september-26th/22841

Here you go

This is not the official NIT event, but thanks for the bump!

1 Like

This is not the Sweeten’s event you’re looking for @ChuckSchick. The event linked here is a Refugee meetup and no NIT spots are associated with it as far as I know.

The NIT Qualifier will be a sanctioned NLU event and signups have not been posted yet.

2 Likes

Okay great, thanks.

1 Like

Sooo…do we start the NIT pourparler now, in here? Is it time to discuss shenanigans? Or is it too soon? Am I putting the proverbial cart before the horse?

2 Likes

1 Like

Where are we watching Florida beat Georgia on Saturday afternoon?

Based on yesterday’s lifting of all restrictions, i would hope in each of your individual hotel rooms.

5 Likes

Yeah, Gov. DiSantis didn’t do Florida any favors by opening bars/restaurants and eliminating any mask bans. This is true. That said, Jacksonville has been one of 10-12 cities that I’ve tracked pretty closely for professional reasons and its not great, but definitely safer than other areas like LA, for example.

We all sign a waiver (which still contains some Sweetens boilerplate) which is important for the NLU gang and people SHOULD READ IT. What is far more important is not touching your face and using copious amounts of hand sanitizer and masking (pro tip: a wool scarf can add a nice boost to your look without being burdensome) when appropriate.

But here’s a few thoughts:

1. Paying attention to the JAX COVID numbers is fine, but it’s only part of the story because our group is coming from all over. So not only are we with the JAX cases, but we’re also with LA, Denver, Seattle, NYC, Baltimore- basically we’re coming from all over, congregating in a city that’s likely going to spike (but still be safer than LA.)

2. [[braces for blow back]] We’re hanging with (somewhat affluent) white people who mostly work from home. It’s a low risk crowd.

Yes, there will be those among us who think COVID is fake. Every village has it’s idiot and they suck. But what’s really critical is for each of us to wash our hands, act accordingly (especially indoors) and just be cognizant that Erin G. & Co will have worked with the facilities we occupy to ensure that we have a reasonable set of instructions to follow so we can enjoy the event safely.

8 Likes

Also, how can such a moron be Governor?

4 Likes

Also me wearing a mask does nothing for my own personal safety unless other people are masked up, too. I would hope other NIT participants can respect that reality and understand that the fact that this event is happening during a pandemic requires us to participate in slightly more restricted ways than maybe we would otherwise prefer. The dumbest possible outcome of this is turning a great opportunity to build some community into a super-spreader event because people don’t want to look “uncool” by wearing a mask.

2 Likes

Folks…This is me. I traveled to the Northstar shootout. I spent a week in MSP prior to the event (still shook by @Billy_Baroo’s 67) and I bro-hugged @anon3021505. I did so because: 1.) He’s from North Dakota, the lowest of low risk areas. 2.) I am a hyper-shelter-in-placer and had been confined in a bubble in MSP for a week already. Still, I regret the move.

Travel tip: Don’t fly airlines that sell the middle seat. Delta has been amazing. I’ve felt safer flying than I have been at Whole Foods. You’ve got to do it right. Bring food, don’t buy food. Touch nothing. It’s easy. If you travel with kids…whole different level of difficulty. DM for more “Parent Pro Tips”

2 Likes

I’ve definitely been less than careful myself at some offline events, but with this many people coming in from all over the place, and numbers likely to surge at just the wrong time, I really think we all need to step it up. No reason to get the organization in trouble because we want to impress some folks we just met or because we don’t want to be the odd man out.

2 Likes

I don’t know if I’d say it does nothing but both people wearing masks helps big time. I, for one, don’t wear masks when I play golf. Some of my friends do. But I’m happy to wear it at any point we are required to. If any of you see me without mask and would feel more comfortable with me wearing one, I’ve got no issue slipping it back on. Indoors or out.

2 Likes

Travel Tips:

Consider shipping your clubs (maybe we should work with Ship Stix?)
Pack snacks/sandwiches so you don’t have to get in line with people to get something that you’re craving but don’t need.
Do not fly airlines that sell middle seats.
Stay away from Low-Cost Carriers (Spirit, Frontier) who sell middle seats, but also have a higher percentage of high-risk COVID passengers
Alcohol swabs. Alcohol swabs. Alcohol swabs.
If you have two passports/identities, bring both
If you AirBnB, share a house, but don’t share a bedroom or bathroom (without disinfecting first)
Also, if you AirBnB, get your bottled water and such essentials delivered if you can (hint: you can.)

Interpersonal Tips:

Much like Tinder, ask people if they shelter/WFH or are essential public workers an act accordingly
Read up on CDC/WHO data on social distancing and masks (not CNN or Fox) and stay read-up. This is a novel virus and we are learning bits as we go
Please consider (and I say this through pursed and quivering lips) to pay your gambling debts via Venmo or PayPal, not cold hard cash

2 Likes

Got my hotel booked from Wednesday- Monday. Anyone wanna play on Sunday?

1 Like