Maxamania III - Detroit, MI - May 20,2023 - We're Back!

Great time at Maxamania. Lovely to meet so many great people, play some fun games, and enjoy some great donuts. University of Michigan was a blast and I can’t wait to go back and try to conquer those greens. Rackham has an exceptionally great set of greens for a municipal golf course and was awesome to have rented out for the day.

Hope you see many of your faces at @TheDuckClub event - The Tussle in June (23-24). Don’t be shy!

12 Likes

The greens were so good. Perfect mix of speed for the slopes and smooth.

11 Likes

They were in phenomenal shape this year. Best year of the 3 by far.

5 Likes

Told ya. Greens were great two weeks ago as well, was just the rest of the course that needed some assistance. Sounds like everyone had a great day.

2 Likes

The lies in the fairway were pretty good; I should have tried playing from the fairway more.

12 Likes

I’ve gotten paired up to play with a couple of the guys that work on the course over the last few weeks, and it sounds like they’re really making an effort this year to take the greens up a notch.

7 Likes

Well they are succeeding. They were awesome.

4 Likes

The greens were as good as any private course I’ve played around here in Florida. Better than most actually.

9 Likes

Greens were fantastic! Also, fuck those greens! :joy:

9 Likes

That place is so fun and so affordable. When I played two weeks ago it was a $22 twilight rate plus $3 for a cart to play as many holes as I could. Can’t beat it.

2 Likes

Great time was had Friday / Saturday!! Both courses were really interesting and in great condition. Thanks so much to @paroutfromhere and the FCF crew for making us Canadians feel so welcome! Nice to meet so many from MI and beyond. And just for the record Ed/Eddie kicked Canadian ass on Friday. Beers were paid!! Hope to see y’all at the Tussle or Roost Regionals!!

12 Likes

I had a few rounds at Rackham in the last few years and always walked away feeling just sort of whatever about it (and very wet feet). Last weekend absolutely changed my mind on it, and I find myself wanting to get back out there ASAP. This being my first true NLU/Roost event, I couldn’t have imagined a better time. I got to meet tons of awesome folks, play some really fun golf, and reconnect with a course I had totally written off.

Already can’t wait for next year!

12 Likes

Refugees, Nesticles … what a damn weekend. It took a little time to decompress from it all and wrap my head around everything. I appreciate everyone’s patience with me on these things. Maxamania is a different beast compared to the events I normally organize for the group. A few minor hiccups with the scoring, still confused as to how the hell @JakeFrank was able to post scores from UM in the Maxamania thing on GG but I’m glad @eatonsb jumped in to fix that issue! Thanks, Paul!

I played so much golf with new and old friends and I couldn’t be more happy with the way it all turned out. the weather needed to be about 5 degrees warmer on Saturday but the random bursts of sunshine made it A-OK.

WE RAISED $2600 FOR THE GFPD! I still can’t believe the things this silly golf message board will rally behind in the name of golf. Truly remarkable. I still have some things from the raffle that weren’t picked up on Saturday that I will get shipped out to people in the coming days.

If you ordered a L qzip, please reach out as I am not sure who got missed on that one.

@UncleDrew @PiercenW @cprly @Chazobeans @OffTheDole @Godmar @TonyPres @dwilks , thank you for putting up with me over so many holes of golf. It was a pure delight. Next year might be full on Pick-a-Pin matchplay ridiculousness.

I love all you MFers.

Cheers
Jono

26 Likes

Also, Shout out to @philmundo and a newly refuge baptized @Conner1212 on punching their tickets to the NIT!!

12 Likes

20 Likes

Thanks for being an awesome playing partner and giving me a warm welcome to my first roost event. Certainly won’t be my last Maxamania!

4 Likes

Thanks for a great couple of days on the course–was great to meet so many of you. Putting together my best round in a couple of years was just icing on the cake–I’ll definitely be back for more events.

My only worry is the “suckers in poker” rule: there’s always at least one douche at a golf event, but in this case I couldn’t spot him…

8 Likes

After 18 holes together in the morning I can assure you it wasn’t you. Although I’m still waiting for my formal invite to any of the fine courses in Scotland you were reviewing with @jimmay

3 Likes

I was telling my wife I’ve never had so much fun at an event. The vibes were high, the groups were great, and the afternoon fun was off the charts. If I could only do one event a year (which will be next year with a kid due in December) it would be this one.

Cheers to all and thanks to @paroutfromhere @eatonsb for all their hard work!

10 Likes

It wasn’t you. It’s me, hi. I’m the problem, it’s me.

6 Likes