Maxamania II @ Rackham GC (Detroit, MI) 2022, May 21

I’ll be bringing a cooler of local beverages from central Illinois to add to the cause!

3 Likes

I can bring a cooler for a hole with beers from Urbanrest Brewing right down the road in Ferndale.

3 Likes

Since it’s now officially Maxamania week, let’s have some fun.

The Golfer’s Journal has been incredibly generous with their support of our GFPD event we’re hosting this week on Thursday-Friday in Bloomington-Normal, IL (before I hit the road for Detroit!). They’re donating 20% of any new subscriptions made through this link.

So…time for a little Rackham history lesson/trivia. I find Horace Rackham ridiculously fascinating, so I’ll purchase a gift subscription to TGJ to the first person that does some quick research and answers this question:

At Rackham’s grand opening in 1925, what was the name of Horace Rackham’s caddy?

2 Likes

William T. Merriweather Jr.

2 Likes

Only one I know of is William T. Merriweather Jr. Not sure if it was his first.

2 Likes

Bingo. Well done @JDGAFFLIN. My man! Please dm me your address info and your TGJ subscription will be on the way!!

3 Likes

Dang…virtually a tie! Didn’t expect 2 winners inside 11 minutes but glad to see we have some Rackham history buffs here. What the heck - @etrackp if you want a subscription - DM your info too and I’m happy to do it! Well done gentlemen.

I actually already have a subscription. Let @etrackp have it. I just knew the answer is all, :smiley:

2 Likes

That is mighty generous of both you. I actually have never had a subscription to TGJ so it would be an honor. You both deserve a firm hand shake when we meet on Saturday!

3 Likes

A true gentleman and scholar!

4 Likes

I guarantee I’ve missed this some place, but what time are we teeing off? I can’t find it (that doesn’t mean much, brain isn’t working today)

1 Like

Probably 9:00. Be at the course at 8:30 for check in. I’m going to send out an email blast later this evening.

4 Likes

Ok everyone, hole assignments/pairings are live on the spreadsheet. I also combed through GHIN to verify and update as many handicaps as I could find.

If anyone sees anything I missed please let me know ASAP!

12 Likes

@jjs @Kirk19 @David_is_Goliath

I’ll apologize in advance that you have to put up with me on Saturday.

7 Likes

Looks like we might have some conditions brewing.

1 Like

Also huge fan of the fact that the fine weather folks are saying 90 on Friday as well. Gonna be neat……

2 Likes

Guess this shindig is gonna be riding correct? More room in the trunk for a cooler without the push cart.

2 Likes

There will be carts for everyone, yes. Also if you want to walk, you can, some people did last year.

I’m thinking of walking in the morning and then riding in the afternoon/rest of the day

7 Likes

Greetings All,

Just a few short days away!! Let’s Go!

A few quick updates: Pairings for the NIT Qualifying round are available on a tab in the initial sign up post. Feel free to check it out. Big thanks to Brent (@BrentDTW) for taking care of that. I’m thinking tee time at 9:00AM, be at the course at 8:30AM or so to sign in, breakfast, etc. Regarding that: We get the course the whole day, so the sooner we start, the more we get to golf.

Breakfast, and lunch will be provided by the course, and we’ll be having Jets for dinner. All of that is included.

We will be having a raffle. Bring cash to the course. There IS NO ATM at Rackham!!! We’re pivoting away from a 50/50 to maximize our donation, but we have some great prizes including some Geau Golf Event Headcovers, Lie & Loft Event Prints, a Fire Pit Collective Golf Bag (Being donated by @Lazstradamus ), and some NLU Pro Shop Credits among other things. Bring cash. Buy tickets. The Fresh Coast Flock are going to hound you and make you feel guilty if you don’t empty your wallets for the raffle. We’re down 23 people from last year, so I’m counting on everyone to help with a sizable donation.

NIT Spots: Quota game. Your course HC subtracted from 36 is your quota. The top 2 scores above their quota will be awarded the NIT Spots. If you are not a member of the NEST and win, you must register for the NEST by the end of the day Saturday to accept the invite. DBD is calling the shots there.

After the morning round we will tally the scores, conduct the raffle, pass around another donation bucket, and have lunch. After that, we can basically do anything we want. Alt shot goodness? Why not?

Thanks to each and everyone of you for being a part of this. Any questions, hit up the thread.
We have room as well. If there’s anyone you think would like to attend, please invite them. (Sign up sheet link below)

See You Guys Saturday!!

JD

7 Likes

Let’s go!

For the record, though, no one will, in fact, see me on Sunday.

2 Likes