March Mudness Part Deux (Kankakee, IL): 2022, March 27 -

Knockout (but with putting)?

1 Like

I had an idea to make the whole event match play so it’s truly march madness - not 100% sure how to do this unless it was literally something to the effect of 3-hole matches? Or a 9-hole quota game with people qualifying for the match play, and then you could do a 9-hole elite 8, final four, and championship match so that the max holes played would be 36. Everyone else can go play interesting formats and stuff for 18 holes and then follow the championship match around the course. Just brainstorming here.

7 Likes

Yeah i was trying to figure that out too and my (small) brain started to hurt.

4 Likes

4, 16-person “regions” drawn blind. First 18, Top 4 in each region are the Sweet Sixteen. Those 16 play nine more. The top four after 27 is in the Final 4. That group of 4 carries on nine more for the title. Same premise, maybe a little less organization required.

The rest of us? Maybe some kind of chipping game? One shot from 64 yards for your “One Shining Moment”? I have no idea.

5 Likes

ah you wanna see me hit a 6iron do ya?

2 Likes

As long as everyone has a GHIN, seeding would be simple. Blind draw into regions (every 4 holes) and once you make it out of your region (you beat everyone else in your 4 hole region, you move on to the final four (9 holes) then the championship match is 18 holes

2 Likes

Weird, I guess we can’t see the massive Burban statue / memorial from this perspective. Expected it to be larger, tbh.

4 Likes

RIP Burban.

3 Likes

Went and scouted Kankakee Elks with @David_is_Goliath … still incredible and worth the extra 25 minute drive south

2 Likes

Brother

hey crew –

been chewing the fat on this with the breakfast ball crew.

we are thinking a 16-player cut after the first 18. those players play the second 18 as our “sweet 16” with another cut or two, and maybe a 9+ hole match to the end for the final two.

also we will have a raffle again. this year’s charity will be the first tee of greater chicago. ive added a tab to the google doc if anyone would like to donate something to next years auction: March Mudness Refuge Event - Google Sheets

10 Likes

Hey team!

A few random thoughts for this year’s event:

• We’ll be doing a “recommitment” sometime in January, where a donation to the First Tee of Greater Chicago will confirm your spot.
  • I’ll confirm prices for golf in January as well, it’ll be super cheap like last time.
  • We will see if there’s enough critical mass to get a bus to split from the city. Maybe pick us up downtown somewhere. One stop, everyone knows the rules.
  • For the “game” we are thinking 36 hole tournament with a 16 player cut. The second 36 will be a knockout round among the “sweet 16” finalists for the overall winner. The rest of the field will play some random game with other prizes.
  • In general, i want to ramp up the “hang” a bit. What’s this mean? mainly firepits and a tv outside with the college hoops on. If you have a firepit or a TV we can like cast from a phone onto, LMK.
  • If you have raffle prizes to donate, please add them to the list

11 Likes

We have our official event logo from last year.

I feel like we need a secondary logo that’s a bit simpler for a hat and merch. i have some ideas if anyone with design skill wants to pitch in.

6 Likes

Something like this except matching the main logo’s color scheme and making it a golf ball and hole?

1 Like

The deer head with little NLU guys to make up the antlers? put that on top of @JBors March Madness ribbon (where the half of the basketball is now) and then have the year in the net?

Design skill? Got you.

13 Likes

lvoe the idea @JBors

let’s get some more flowing.

i like the idea of it being more like a golf course or club or resort logo.

Perhaps there’s something we can do with the modern/simple net here and a golf ball on top? the net does make an M at the bottom

could also do something with MM (stacked, mirrored, etc.) or the letters MUD

could also do this with a pinflag coming out of the ball instead of a palm tree?

I always like the location specific Final Four logos

3 Likes

wow that 79 logo as a patch on a stocking hat? whoa…

7 Likes