Heavyweights: Thicc Boys of the Refuge Unite!

Having been really successful (and much less successful) with a few of the apps, I can say that it absolutely doesn’t matter which of the tools you use - they’re much more similar than different. It absolutely DOES matter that you plan your day ahead of time and log what you eat (at least for me).

I totally abandoned the Noom education stuff a long time ago. It’s a chore to do every day and it gets old quickly. Noom is a great calorie tracker though, and to me that’s what’s important. It’s not like you’re penalized for going over on your red or yellow food budget - they’re just guidelines that are meant to steer you towards whole foods which I think is great.

3 Likes

I’ve been on the hunt here as well.

I have a bunch of the Fabletics Pants and they are super comfy. I wear a 40/42 mostly and have the XXL’s and they are nice. They are a little baggy in the thigh/seat, but overall, nice, especially if you take advantage of the new customer discount.

I’ve also purchased a brand called Troop through Proozy, they are about half the cost of Lulu…great, but the threading/stitching could use some work…once worn in a bit, super comfy and definitely “hugging” for a thicc boy.

I haven’t tried much of the Pete stuff in bottoms, but always a fan of FJ as I feel they run true to size and are comfy. I’m starting to find I can only wear a few brands (in my current edition of my build), so just going to run with it for awhile.

Callaway’s golf pants run into pretty big sizes and I think they’re comfy enough. Only issue is they’re a little looser in the calves than I’d like, and will stretch a little as you wear them, which is a crazy thing considering I already have big calves. I’d say the ass tends to stretch and get too baggy as you wear them too. They also seem to run pretty long. I normally wear 28 or 30 inseam pants, and I got these online during a clearance sale, and 30 was as short as they go, and I swear they’re closer to 34’s. So, despite my complaints here, if you have a place or person that can hem them, or if you’re a taller guy and can just buy a size shorter, perfectly good golf pants, especially if you can get them on sale.

2 Likes

Counter point:

The articles and quizzes Noom provides are what teach and make you aware of the things that help you succeed/fail. Have you considered how often you recall something you learned through their program that informed a decision you made?

But ultimately, I agree. It’s a lot like WW with a different system for tracking. Like you I prefer higher density but lower volume consumption. Down to the nuts a bolts, when I track intake and activity, I lose weight. It’s when I don’t that my weight fluctuates.

2 Likes

I get that for sure. I think that my issue with Noom was that I expected these really kind of “aha” moments that would enlighten me in some way. Nine times out of ten, it was more of a, “Yeah I have noticed that” kind of revelation. It’s definitely on my end that Noom didn’t end up working and I can see how it could be VERY good for other people.

The daily weigh in and getting over little fluctuations in weight that have noting to do with my intake or output is something I take from Noom and still think about.

1 Like

Yeah, they present information in a way that satisfies another psychological need: that it’s your idea or you already knew it and now you’re more aware. Change is hard and it needs to be your idea to do it (no one can make you change the way you think/act).

Big, big fan of UA pants. They have lightweight ones that are great for the summer and heavier ones for the fall/winter. They have stretch bands and the material is easy to move in. All of their pants wick water/moisture pretty well, especially the heavier pants.

2 Likes

Im gonna recommend the Weatherproof Vintage Men’s Excursion Tech Pant that you can get for a great price if youre a costco member. Theyre a nylon/spandex mix and run up to 42 waist, which Im currently wearing. They have good stretch and flex with a flex waistband along with zip and button closure. I wear them into the office or out for golf and they work great in either setting, hasnt really been hot here yet so I cant confirm how great they are for that but I do have the shorts they make and wear those in the summer and am a big fan. Think they cost like $16.99 on costco now, come on gray, green, or khaki. If anything Id say the waist runs a little larger than the size listed and despite complaints about the durability of the backpocket Ive had no issue with them.

1 Like

Question for you guys. How have you been able to slow down or avoid binging. Background: I’m not a diet person, I believe in small changes over long periods of time. So I’m not looking for recommendations on specific foods. I’m also a big believer in changing mindset and uncovering things that mentally trigger me to eat is the way to change.

Over the last decade I’ve lost and mostly kept off 100(?) pounds (330ish to 215ish now). The past year I’ve done a lot of mental work on changing my mindset around food so that I can hopefully set my kids up for a more successful relationship with food. 90% of the time, I do a really good job. I’m proud of that. My poor choices are when I stay up later than my wife and kids, either to work or game. This is usually once or twice a week. My resolve drops during this time and I’m trying to come up with reasons why and ways to improve it.

3 Likes

Hey!
This is, actually, one of the areas where Noom was profoundly helpful for me. I don’t have access to the materials so I’m going to get a bunch of it wrong if I try, but essentially there are different types of eating, and the one I remember specifically is “storm” eating. Completely comes from emotional cues and not hunger (so like…sometimes we eat when we’re bored or stressed). My biggest emotional cues to eat out of control are festivity and the feeling of getting home from work. I have a tendency to get home from work and snack a lot. I have a tendency to over eat when I go to someone’s house and they have a nice spread of appetizers/snacks/etc…

If you can’t break the habit of eating when you’re bored (or when you’re conditioned to eat…like when you’re alone late at night), make sure you have foods around to eat that are low in caloric density (air popped, plain popcorn is my go to…it’s a lot of chewing so psychologically you feel like you’re eating more than you are…noom REALLY bangs on eating grapes a lot…mostly water, low calories, feel full). Make sure you weigh/measure snacks before you have a late night work or gaming session…if it starts to become a planned process, you will likely be better at resisting giving into impulses.

Even better, think about why you binge or storm eat when you’re alone late at night. The awareness of the emotional cue is a big first step.

6 Likes

7 Likes

Social gatherings are my effing diet kryptonite.

6 Likes

So one week into diet/exercise and stringently tracking all my food consumption Ive shed between 9 and 10 pounds already. Super easy to do at the start and of course the heavier you are the quicker it seems to come off at first. Cant imagine I keep that pace up for any length of time but its always nice to see the progress right off the bat. Avoided any dietary slip up over the weekend which has been a big hurdle for me in the past, and having to track all food and stick to the WW plan really cuts down on any eating out as well, which also helps the old wallet.

12 Likes

Abso-fucking-lutely mine, too.

2 Likes

Any joggers/pant brand suggestions? Buying new pants in general is a nightmare as a dude with a huge ass. Pretty athletic build with big backside and thighs but seems like everything now fits extremely tight at the top and normal above the knee and down. Lulu is a no-go fit wise for the ABC joggers and like my Travis Mathew pants so thinking to try their joggers.

1 Like

Old Navy had some good joggers and pants. Pants are a little stretchy like the Lulu ABCs and fit me pretty well for someone with bigger thighs. Took them to a tailor because they were a little long and love wearing them on colder mornings on the course.

2 Likes

Amazon basics have worked nicely for me. Feel like soft khakis, but the pockets are kinda small. They are dirt cheap, which I like for slacks that are likely to get pulled on by trips into the thick rough for errant shots.

2 Likes

Down another 3.2 pounds for week two. It would be cooler if I kept losing 8.4 pounds like that first week after vacation, I’d be done a lot quicker!

8 Likes

I’ve been doing WW thing for 2 months and I am down 35 pounds and counting. I’ve tried everything and WW is the one that has worked best for me. Trying to eat as many zero point foods as I can really keeps me full. Plus I have learned to have a terrible night… and not let it compound into multiple bad days. I started buying premade meals from Clean Eatz and those keep me on track at work. I’ve also found that the better sleep I get, the more weight I lose.
Most importantly, My weight loss is helping my handicap lose weight already this spring.

6 Likes

I’ll be honest I have a really hard time using all my points on a daily basis with how much stuff is zero points.

1 Like