Heavyweights: Thicc Boys of the Refuge Unite!

Echoing @FarFromScratch, slow and steady. Listen to your body when trying to be active, especially while significantly changing your diet (particularly carb/sugar intake).

I also recommend talking to your physician or a COVID “long haul” clinic about how best to ramp up activity safely if you believe it’s tied to the disease.

1 Like

Anyone have any luck with Noom? I’m 2 weeks in and feel like I’m doing pretty good so far. Down 7 lbs. And my goal is to eventually lose 70. I like having to log the food I eat because it holds me accountable.

3 Likes

@IT-to-Green got me on the Noon train at the end of February. We are down 22 pounds with a goal of 50 so far.

3 Likes

That’s awesome. Sounds like it’s working really well for you. Got any tips or tricks you can share? Maybe a healthy snack?

2 Likes

Get in the habit of tracking your food when you eat it. So don’t forget. Get protein in your breakfast, has helped me feel good throughout the day. I snack on lots and lots of fruit and veggies.

I like to cook, so I’ve been using the NYTimes recipes and just adding lots of veggies to fill up without eating a bunch of junk.

1 Like

Logging the food has really changed my diet. I like to look stuff up at the grocery store while I’m shopping and try and keep red food out of the house. Thanks for the tips. Hopefully I’ll be right behind you getting to my goals.

1 Like

For me the biggest part is about satiety, not eating until I’m full, and managing my hunger throughout the day with protein-rich snacks. Some of my go-to’s are:

Breakfast - Lemon tart Greek yogurt with raspberries and honey almond granola.

Snack - 1/2 serving of Habenero BBQ almonds, an apple, banana, or orange.

Lunch - a few slices of deli ham/Turkey/chicken with mustard and pickle

Drink - water, coffee, and tea with as little additive as possible

Dinner - whatever you want in moderation

Treats - make them special, like once a week, and in moderation

To go along with diet, find an exercise routine. A combination of walking briskly and some form of lifting/muscle building will quickly accelerate your effort (avoid running, unless you’re training for something, it can increase your appetite).

Once you find your stride, you may see big drops as your water levels fluctuate; stay the course and track overall trend, not day to day gains/losses.

2 Likes

Awesome. Thanks so much. I’ll have to try some of those meal/snack ideas

Just posted some Thicc boy shirts on TSR

1 Like

Interested in checking this Podcast out. I noticed there are a ton of episodes, do you have a suggestion on a good place to start?

No, I just picked some titles that sounded interesting and relevant to me. The ones that I’ve listened to have all be self-contained, not really part of a running narrative that I can tell.

Checking in: not a ton of weight lost the past week or so but feeling really strong and leaner than I have in a while. My diet hasn’t been pristine with the kids on Spring break, so hopeful next week allows me to return to a quieter routine.

How’s everyone else doing? For those in the great white North, are you starting to get swings in to help with activity?

1 Like

Man I’ve been sitting at 252 lbs for what seems like 3-4 weeks. I’ve never had a plateau like this don’t know if anyone else has experienced this?

1 Like

We have been dong pretty good. Weight was oscillating all over the place between 233 and 228 the last 10 days or so, but overall trending down.

This week has been a super low energy one for me, but been feeling really good otherwise.
Need to find some good snacks to make and keep in the house though, I am wanting to start to wonder in between meals.

@topflitetopper I have never had a plateau that extreme. Had one at 10 days earlier and I just had to keep on keeping on. I know thats kinda boring to hear. Maybe try and make something new and exciting in the kitchen?

2 Likes

Hearing plateau talk makes me physically anxious. I’ve intentionally been avoiding the scale as a result. I’m doing well mentally and physically with eating until I’m full and no more, planning out what I’ll eat for the week, and getting in steps and exercise. I’m feeling smaller and my clothes are getting looser, plus I’m in a few shirts that were way too tight a month ago. HOWEVER, even knowing all that, I have this fear that I could weigh in and be the same weight or negligible weightloss and it would somehow put me in some kind of tailspin. I’d hyped myself up to weight in last Friday (one week after my previous weigh in) but I couldn’t do it. Maybe this Friday.

TL;DR Doing great and definitely no weird mental hangups…

2 Likes

How much were you losing each week prior to plateau? I’m no nutritionist, but yeah 3-4 weeks seems pretty long.

1 Like

I actually weighed in at 249 this morning so the refuge bump is real!

Honestly though I think maybe my diet has just leveled out a bit and needs to get kickstarted again.

3 Likes

I would say if the worry of a plateau weigh in will make you tailspin, don’t do it. Focus on how you feel instead. Think about back to the start of the journey when you would do things and get tired, and how much better you feel now. I hope that helps and makes sense!

3 Likes

I think that all depends on what your goal is. If you started the journey with the goal of losing weight, how do you know if you’ve done that if you don’t, at some point, weigh in?

I’m all for also appreciating the indicators of clothes-fit, strength-feel, and energy levels, but those can also come with no weight loss if you’re building muscle (which will inherently lead to weight loss so long as caloric intake is under burn rate).

I think there is also a lot to be said for what types of foods are being consumed:
Are you still eating high fat foods just at a reduced caloric level?
Are you eating high salt foods that cause you to retain water at a higher rate?
Are you eating foods that provide satisfaction for extended times or foods that fill you up and make you feel hungrier sooner?

My suggestion for you @FarFromScratch is to rip the bandaid off and weigh in and make a plan to weigh in regularly so you can track progress. This will allow you to identify weight trends and correlate them to activity and eating habits. Expose yourself to the number instead of being afraid of it.

3 Likes

Checking back in on this thread. I did, in fact, weigh in last Friday and I was a little disappointed in the results. I lost 1.5 pounds over 14 days which is slower than expected. However, as I said in my previous post, I KNOW I am losing inches. Thankfully, I didn’t have any setbacks or overeats as a result. I’m continuing to remind myself that this is a long-term endeavor. Moving forward, I bought some cheap body fat calipers to start tracking measurements in case the scale continues to be slower than I’d like. I also recommitted to food measuring and planning this week and am incorporating two lower cal PSMF days to try and speed fat loss a bit.

How’s everyone else doing?

1 Like