Heavyweights: Thicc Boys of the Refuge Unite!

I have had a super busy and stressful schedule the last 3 weeks ( I know its an excuse) ate like crap and drank more than I should have. As a result when I weighed in this morning I was the heaviest I have ever been in my life. Really going to try and focus on eating right and at home and limiting the bourbon. Super pissed at myself that all the weight had lost (21LBS) over the last year and a half is now officially back on plus 2 extra pounds. I spend so much time practicing my golf swing and putting, going to try and put hat much focus and commitment into my weight loss. Hopefully next week I will have some good news to report.

3 Likes

Have been doing pretty okay. Down 13ish pounds in about ~3 weeks. Just got back from a little vacation and was very aware of what I was eating and how much I was eating. Didn’t seem to hurt the enjoyment at all either. Have been stuck at the exact same weight number for about 8 days now. But not gaining on vacation can be a bit of a victory.

3 Likes

Heck yeah congrats on maintaining you weight during your vacation. Very easy to give yourself a break during this time and undue all the hard work you have put in the last 3 weeks!!

Can I ask what you did to make sure you were staying aware did not ruin your enjoyment? This is something I have struggled with in the past. We will have plans to go out for dinner or lunch and I get so stressed with figuring out what I want to eat and what I should eat, that it ruins the whole experience and I no longer want to go.

1 Like

For me, I think its a combination of a couple things.

1. I have stopped drinking pretty outside of a beer or some wine with dinner.
  2. My SO is gluten-free, so now I am very cognizant getting things we can share (So this does an excellent job of cutting out fried food, which is one of major triggers),
  3. Being fine with having food leftover on your plate.
  4. Doing a bit of research ahead of time to find some good restaurants as opposed to going to random sports bar. We ate at Thai, Japanese, German, and some tacos while we were on vacation. In the past it would been wings, big ol burger, and maybe some fried chicken.

It was also really helpful to write this down.

2 Likes

Does anyone have any intermittent fasting app recommendation? Thank you.

Zero has been great but they moved a lot of features behind the paywall.

1 Like

Has anyone used Plenity? It’s a supplement that’s designed to make your feel full with less food. I was using it regularly for a month or so, but have been slipping lately… I have however, been making a point to load up on greens and salad before a meal, so that helps… But it doesn’t decrease my appetite at all. I’ve always been a member of the clean plate club so there’s that… Portion control becomes key. My biggest obstacle is the booze which I don’t consume alot of necessarily, but I like a glass or 2 of bourbon or wine probably 3 or 4 nights a week… But the munchies that come with drinking if I go out and have multiple beverages are very real and very intense. I happen enjoy fast food tacos :grimacing:

2 Likes

I fight the same munchies after having a few drinks. I had a couple of drinks on Tuesday and made it a point not to even go by the pantry where all the chips and snacks are located. I know avoidance is not the best strategy but I am going to use it as a tool in the short term. Tonight is my night to stay up a little later, watch my golf videos/shows and have a couple of drinks. Also this is the night where I have the biggest struggle of not eating a ton of garbage right before bed. My plan tonight will again be to avoid the pantry area (out of sight, out of mind). Hopefully this works until I get back into the habit of finishing my last show and heading right to bed, without even thinking about junk food. Hopefully I have a positive update tomorrow morning!

2 Likes

I had a work happy hour this week and had a couple beers but had budgeted my calories that day for it. The real win was that there was a buffet table of snacks that I only took a small portion of; historically I would have loaded up multiple times, especially after a couple beers.

1 Like

That’s awesome! Congrats, on being strong. I am working to get that self control back.

1 Like

Well today I finally reinstated my gym membership after 5 years. Last time I only went for a few months. This time I jumped right into it and I feel great! It’s clear to me that my determination is much stronger at age 36 than it was at 31. I attribute part of that to a more sober brain chemistry these days. Now to just make a solid routine of it and leave some gas in the tank for golf!

8 Likes

That’s awesome, man. I know how hard motivation can be to work out (and my excuses are few since I work out in my basement). I feel your comment about age being a motivator too, gotta work the body or it’ll stop working for you.

2 Likes

My last gym experience was going with my girlfriend at the time and it felt like a fucking chore. Today, I re-enrolled on my own and it didn’t feel like work. I enjoyed it! I’m still high on endorphins!

2 Likes

If anyone needs something to rotate into their exercise routine, I recently started doing yoga with my walk and lift:

4 Likes

I can relate. I took a new position where I am on the road 10 days, home 3. Hardest transition is resisting to eat total garbage alone in a hotel, or bellying uo to the bar after work. I figure that if I can get on a salad kick at work it should help.

3 Likes

So this is me, I fly 125 times a year or so, am on the road typically 4 days a week. I initially really struggled with my weight and eating while traveling, gained a ton of weight. Going to new places, trying the local food and drink.

Flash forward to two years into it, really have learned to clamp down. I typically eat salads, Panera, Whole Foods Salad Bar, try not to snack and work out every morning when I travel. It makes all the difference. I’m down 100 lbs from my heaviest.

9 Likes

For the first time in a while I am able to log on and report some good news! I have lost 4.6lbs since my last weigh in (which was heaviest weight ever). More excitingly for me is I have not had a snack after dinner in over a week, including the nights where I had a couple of drinks. I have also done a good job of watching my portions at lunch and dinner. Going to need to keep the focus but a couple of small wins do a lot to boost your morale!

Hope everyone else is enjoying small wins as well!!

7 Likes

My personal March Madness challenge is completed. I am very proud of the results. I’ll drop some screenshots from the Streaks app below but here’s a summary.

• Legit didn’t overeat even once (including on a short vacation to LA). I couldn’t be happier about this one.

• 27 Peloton (FarFromScratch is my handle if anyone wants to be buddies) rides in 31 days. The only days I missed were LA trip related but I compensated with Peloton walks on those days.

• I hit my water goals every day.

• Stretching and golf practice were hit or miss but those were lesser goals tbh.

I didn’t actually weigh in at the beginning of March but I know that I was 243 on Jan 10 and 234 on Jan 24. Today I weighed in at 228 so definite progress. The weight doesn’t tell the whole story since my clothes are much looser than a 6 pound drop would explain. I assume there is at least some muscle addition/body recomposition happening. So all in all a very productive month. I’m taking a rest day today from cycling as my IT bands and calves have been getting increasingly tight over the last week. I am also open to naming ideas for April and May challenges.

13 Likes

After two years of issues with COVID etc., I finally was able to go back to my doctor. My blood pressure is up, my weight is up, my triglycerides and A1C are high too (thank the gods, my blood sugar is still good).

So now it’s time to take care of business.

I’m tracking everything I consume via MyFitnessPal and am using custom settings to keep my carb intake somewhere reasonable (40g or less per meal with a 20g snack), and thrown math and a spreadsheet at things (figuring out BMR, how much calorie debt I would need, etc.) to see if I can get my weight down by 1% per week.

The part I’m struggling wth most right now is energy levels. I have had COVID twice, and I find I just can’t get my limbs to DO what they are supposed to without getting extremely tired. I’m trying to build up slowly, but patience was never a virtue I was blessed with. After I had COVID the last time, I was getting winded walking up stairs. Thankfully, that has gradually improved, but I still have so far to go.

8 Likes

Slow and steady wins the race. If you consume podcasts, which because of this forum I’m assuming you do, I’d highly recommend Losing 100 Pounds with Corrine. Someone in the thread above recommended her and I have found it really helpful in considering the mental side of healthy eating. Good luck!

3 Likes