Heavyweights: Thicc Boys of the Refuge Unite!

no i think he means get his weight down, for the sake of his blood pressure (and heart health)

Lol. Oops. Weight to 190lbs. Will edit.

Oh god you are right, I read that wrong. I was thinking, shit man get to the doctor NOW.

2 Likes

Fixed

This may be the fastest we have ever got a thread back on track.

3 Likes

going into my sophomore year of college, i had swimmers ear for around a month, just kinda on, kinda off, hurting, not, whatever. one day i wake up and i can’t move the right side of my face. like at all. “hey mom… what the fuck is happening…” (she’s a pediatrician) so immediately drive to the ER, by the time we see anything it’s subsiding… we ended up just getting antibiotics/steroids for the ear infection, that went away, but literally found nothing. think inflammation led to pinching a nerve for muscular control of the right side of my face under the ear.

blood pressure was 180/120, so 50% raised. and that was after an hour of calming down…

tbh because of how personal (and incredibly important) this is to everyone who’s actually involved with the thread, i think this one will probably stay on track pretty well

1 Like

41 years old (42 in another month), 6’1”, 225 lbs. I’ve been trying to get down to 200 for a while now. Having two young kids takes up a lot of time. I walk when I play golf and tell myself that’s exercise.

I don’t drink more than very occasionally. My weakness is carbs. I’ve made a concerted effort to cut out soda and drink water all day at the office. I’ve switched to eating salads for lunch.

I just need to get the proverbial kick in the ass to get serious.

1 Like

Honestly it is unbelievable how far healthy drinking habits can go. I am honestly not the healthiest eater in the world (cholesterol not great, bob), but I drink probably 120oz of water a day minimum and that is pretty much it. If I have a drink at night it will be 1-2 glass of wine during the week and maybe 3-4 on the weekend - probably a total of 10-14 total per week. Occasionally I will mix in a cocktail instead of wine. Almost zero beer, pop, or sugary drinks. I think it goes a long way in helping keep a healthy weight.

1 Like

Preach!

1 Like

to be fair, it is exercise.

Is golf exercise?

A 190-pound player burns 474 calories per hour when walking.

I’m walking 36 on Saturday and 18 on Sunday…

3 Likes

According to this study, it looks like you can burn a pretty decent amount of calories playing golf and walking, so I’d for sure call it exercise:

When I ask my wife if I can play both days on a weekend, I remind her it’s like going to the gym.

4 Likes

No question there, speaking for myself, I use it as a crutch…

“Oh, I woke up early and walked 18, I absolutely deserve to veg on the couch and eat like a slob for the rest of the day”

There are a ton of tests that can give you data about what you should and shouldn’t do related to diet.

One of the most interesting is a food sensitivity test. Getting your testosterone checked in case you qualify for TRT at your age is also telling.

Water all day is great.

If you have a carb weakness, try to learn about Glycemic Index and the blood sugar response to food. Maybe you can substitute low GI foods for higher ones in your day to day choices where possible to limit insulin response and fat storage.

~3500 calories per lb of fat, you need to burn or create a deficit of ~87,500 calories. If you do a very modest cut ~500 calories per day, it will take you roughly 178 days to achieve 200 lbs. This is a big guess because your lifestyle, training, and stress + sleep all play a big part in results.

178 days puts you right around Feb 2nd if you started and made the effort today. Feels like a long time, but it takes a really long time to lose weight.

It just takes ~5 hours roundtrip haha

We’re all big guys, so we can round that 474 to 500, call it a 4 hour round (those two assumptions probably balance out), and say it’s 2000 calories per round.

Takes a lot of time at the gym to burn 2000 calories even on a treadmill…

2 Likes

I forgot to add in my original post that I adopted this, and works really well for me. I only eat two meals (lunch around 12, dinner around 6-7pm). I have gotten to the point where I do not even think about breakfast as long as I have a coffee.

2 Likes

It’s really tough to get your heart rate up to a level that would equate to 500 calories an hour out on a golf course.

Try to burn 500 calories on a treadmill and see how long it takes bc unless you jog/run, it’s not happening for 4 continuous hours.

I think 300 calories an hour would be pushing it for a modest pace, half of that with a cart. Bryson DeChambeau and his accelerated walking might be the only ones who can get closer to 400+.

This supposes you aren’t morbidly obese like the guy from Fat Guy Golf who could likely burn that much if his heart rate was up high.

I’m not gonna debate this here, think that’s not worth anyone’s time. I cited the first source, and that cited this source here:

http://nutristrategy.com/activitylist.htm

I’d read that - if you want to challenge it or call it into question with another source, that’s fair, but it’s not my “opinion”.

1 Like