Heavyweights: Thicc Boys of the Refuge Unite!

Quick update, I’ve lost 6 lbs, been working out with more frequency/intensity and have generally been eating better. If I could kick the Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream pies I’d be better, shout-out Nick Saban.

7 Likes

Glad to hear the progress guise!

As @TheWeinerDoctor said, it’s about mindset. You have to commit to it and make real changes. That isn’t easy for everybody depending on what’s happening in your life. I thought I would share this that i saw yesterday.

“The out of shape guy in the gym lifting weights to lose weight and get healthy isn’t really working out. He’s dancing with his granddaughter at her wedding.
It doesn’t matter what other people see. What matters is what you see.”

So don’t let the haters and losers get you down!

4 Likes

I feel ya… Baby is 6 weeks old and I haven’t had enough sleep to feel like I can do any kind of work out yet. I can’t wait to get back on track.

3 Likes

Down 9 lbs as of this morning. Gotta keep up the workouts, have cut my Little Debbie consumption, though it’s still a lingering challenge.

10 Likes

Awesome work!!!

3 Likes

Back from a lengthy break from the refuge and it’s great to see activity in here. I’ve been on my own fitness journey this year, starting at 249 with a goal of getting down to 220 by the end of the year (currently hovering around 236). I’m 6’4 and have always had pretty wild fluctuations in my weight with some yo-yo dieting, being as heavy at 270 and as “light” as 225 on and off over the last 10 years. This year I’ve ditched all the “fad” diets (keto, intermittent fasting, etc.) and focused on just 2 things: eating REAL food, and lifting heavy shit. For me, (and I believe this to be true for most) the easiest way to get where you want to be, and stay there, is to build muscle, which boosts metabolism, and keep it on. Cardio has its place, but for me, having at the centerpiece of my fitness program just wasn’t working. I throw in some devilish metcon workouts a couple times a week to really get a nice sweat going, I’ve oddly enjoyed the torture.

Also been tinkering with the idea of diving deeper into the fitness industry once I reach my goal and maybe doing some coaching. Kinda feel like I need to get to my own goal first, or else I’ll feel like a total fraud.

Anyway, cheers to the journey fellas. If you’re struggling throughout the week drop a note in here or shoot me a dm. We all go through rough days whether it be with our food choices or our motivation to workout, sometimes just talking it out helps.

8 Likes

Trained for about a month and completed my first 5k in 5 years a couple of weeks ago. I have since used it as a catalyst to ramp up running and commit to more cardio in my workouts. Time to lose this gut. I am around 250 at the moment and would like to be at 220 by Christmas time.

I love coming in here and reading the encouragement and stories you all share. Let’s keep it rolling!

14 Likes

I am with you to lose weight before Christmas. I am currently 230 and would like to be 215 by Christmas. Really need to get back into working out 3 times weekly. I would be interested in popping in weekly to give an update of where we are in our progress, share our success and setbacks. Anyone else interested?

5 Likes

Sounds like a great idea. I usually hover around 260, but after a particularly indulgent month, blew up to 270, so committed to working back down to try to eventually get to 250 by end of this year. The end goal is around 220, but that’s long term. Worked out 3 days in a row now. I made the mistake of working out and then walking 18 yesterday. Only a mistake for the scorecard though, as I should be able to eventually do both without an issue.

4 Likes

I’m in, too. I ballooned up to 270 during peak quarantine. I got down to 240 by running and eating better. Then I got comfy the last couple months and now I’m back up in the 250-255 range. I’d love to get down around 220, as well. Let’s go.

4 Likes

In.

Dropped ~ 95lbs 2 years ago doing Keto, and slowly gained half of that weight back after the birth of the second child and being locked inside for an entire year basically.

Would like to get this process started.

Not sure if the board has done it before, but anyone interested in a biggest loser contest? Maybe with accountability and a potential prize would help us all stay on track?

4 Likes

I’m here for it. 255 would love to realistically 230’s by the end of the year

Still trying to figure out how to cope with a few things

A. When eating in a calorie deficit , how to not be hungry and grouchy all the time.

B. How to deal with over indulgence at celebrations, traveling, parties, special occasions with out being “that guy”.

Going to the gym is the easy part for me. I really enjoy the process of my powerlifting routine. I get so bored doing cardio, but I try to do 15 min of the airbike a few times a week.

I’ve tried weight loss competitions, extreme diets, white knuckle tracking of calories and macros, and failed at all of them.

I’m here to encourage all of you, let’s start stacking good days.

2 Likes

I am intrigued by this. My biggest reason for suggesting the weekly pop in to report how we are doing is to have some sort of accountability. In the past I went from 236 to 212. But then Covid hit and my daughters got more involved with sports (I know all excuses) and my working out really fell off not to mention poor eating habits. I had gotten back up to 232 but I have gotten that down to 230 over the last 2 weeks. Not sure about the prize part yet but I love the accountability portion!!!

1 Like

One thing that helped my in the past to not be hungry all the time was to drink flavored water. Cucumber and lemon turned out to be my favorite. The water would help fill me back up and the cucumber/lemon flavor helped satisfy my craving for food to. My not work for you but thought I would suggest it!

2 Likes

I’ll try that! I do the liquid IV, and sparkling water by the gallon.
The only thing that works is just read a book and go to bed be fore the snacking begins, but that is just really lame.

1 Like

Maybe we all chip in and half goes to a charity and half comes in the form of NLU merch? Make it a charity in Refuge fashion, and see what happens? Id be happy to help in any way.
Besides, all we all need is a little accountability and friendly reminders lol

My go to is a cheap walmart sparkling water. I think its called “American Clear” and the flavor is mandarin orange. I do not keep it in my house any longer as I have been known to drink a 12 pack in a day or 2 lol

2 Likes

Said a painful “no thank you” to a Ben and Jerrys Pick your own pint Ice cream buffet this week at a friends house for dinner… Had about 8 different flavors to choose from.

Huge victory for me this week.
Its the little things.

13 Likes

Just checking in to see how the last week as gone for everyone?

I had a pretty good week minus one day where my wife and I decided to order out for lunch and I did not order anything healthy. Overall though, I got five 2 mile walks in, really limited the snacking and lost 0.4lbs. Still need to get back into working out with resistance bands and body weight but I really struggle with the motivation and extra time to get those in. Really going to strive for at least two of those workouts this week along with the walks and the continue to limit the snacking in between meals and after dinner.

Hope everyone else’s week went well and can’t wait to hear about them!

6 Likes

Got a good lift, and walked nine holes. Also managed to mostly stay away from the apple pie à la mode., shared a taste, not a whole plate. Meal prepped to set this week up for success. LGLG

3 Likes