Heavyweights: Thicc Boys of the Refuge Unite!

Weighed this morning for the first time since the 5k and I am down 8lbs! Excited to keep it rolling. Hit a personal best distance of 4.0miles today!

4 Likes

That’s awesome man! Keep it up!!

1 Like

Sounds like you had a great week!!!

Rarely on the Refuge these days but always good to pop back in here. Started my journey at 264 (possibly more) and got down to 215.8 with a goal of under 215 and am now back at 225-226. Looking to get below 215 before November 5th to win a bet with @Hitchings21 and others, although I’d rather him also get to goal so we can share in the spoilings.

Ran my first half marathon in June, which really helped the weight come off, and started training for my second yesterday, so hoping the same thing happens. Need to ensure I stay in a caloric deficit as lots of training can cause me to overeat when I feel hungry. May move to smaller meals throughout the day and see if that works.

Excited to (re)join y’all!

14 Likes

Currently, I’m a hot mess. Between working at a boarding school and being understaffed, I haven’t taken good care of myself in a year or more. I desperately need to make my own health a priority. I have done DDP Yoga in the past (along with kettlebells) and it has worked really well, but I’m struggling with exhaustion and burnout right now (and eating as comfort has ALWAYS been an issue).

Starting today I’m going back to tracking what I eat and when, so I at least have some good data. Baby steps.

6 Likes

Comfort eating is the worst. So is casual snacking, I find it very hard to fight those urges when working from home. Adding in as much activity as possible is key (even taking a few practice swings is good, I have a club and a putter with putting green in my office for tiny breaks).

Tracking calories in and what we eat tends to be very difficult. Even professional nutrionists tend to misreport what they eat. So for you (and anybody else who does this) think more about what you’re eating then trying to count calories. I use this as an assignment in my class, but I have my students give themselves a grade (1 being not so good, 4 being best) of what they ate at a specific time. Not only should this give you a bit of a reminder to try and eat higher numbers, if you can track that over a week or two, you will find the times when you tend to be eating at a 1 or 2 level and can make steps to improve that.

I also find that the easier a solution is, the more likely we are to do it.

4 Likes

Fellow Thicc Fellows: Lurked on here for a while but posting just for some accountability. I made a vow that after my first big weight loss, I wasn’t going to buy 2XL stuff anymore in my life. I’ve reached the point though where I’m pushing the limits on XL and so it’s time to face this head on again.

Between 2014 and 2016 I went from 295 to 199 - mainly by tracking calories in MyFitnessPal + walking a lot more (no other gym/exercise change).

Stopped tracking not longer after I hit the sub 200 mark and put about 30lbs back on over the next year. Since 2017 I’ve backslid a further 50lbs to put me at 281 as of today.

Back on the tracking train but hoping to do this without daily logging as I don’t think it’s sustainable long term (for me anyways). I like @newballcoach’s being cognizant of what you are eating as least as much as how many calories there are. I tend to be a boring eater so I’m able to structure a lot of my meal items around things that I’m pretty certain the calorie estimate of. Even then I tend to add ~10% to estimated calories. I’m also good (or so I like to think) about knowing where I’m at calorie count wise during the day - even without an app/log. I just do it subconsciously - kind of like I always know where I’m at score wise on the golf course (often to my detriment there).

Honestly - counting at least some of the calories in the back of mind has probably kept me from putting the weight back on much quicker. I still make some healthy choices, but the percentage has dropped dramatically. Need to reverse that to flip things around.

I know I can lose the weight again with the same process, this time though I need to come up with a maintenance plan to maintain in a range when I get there. I didn’t have that before and it bit me hard.

Anyways - kinda rambling thoughts there but ready to do this again (and hopefully for the last time).

18 Likes

Idk if this helps or not, but have you tried the Cronometer app? When I initially lost weight (I am in the same boat as you, almost exactly LOL) I switched to Cronometer, and it sped up the tracking process significantly. Since I eat generally the same foods without getting off the beaten path too often, I can favorite the items and then within seconds add them to the diary. Very helpful when it doesn’t take minutes to search and add each food to the dang diary

1 Like

Well gang, hope everybody is doing well. Over the last 10 months, I’ve had some real lows and I would say in January I was the heaviest, weakest and least healthy I’ve probably ever been. Quarantine and staying home were not good for me. I wasn’t doing great.

Weighed myself this morning and I’ve hit my first goal of losing 30 lbs. since then. Clocked in at just below 230, which was the goal before the end of 2021. I’d love to be able to get back to my freshman playing weight of 220 (albeit with a bit of different body structure), which should be doable in the next few months.

Put in some gym equipment with our new house, including a treadmill which has been great and a squat rack with weights. I’ve been using a program through a golf trainer that’s accomplishing some weight loss as well as strength gain. I feel like I actually have some muscle again which is nice.

Keep working hard everybody, it takes baby steps but they get you in the right direction.

17 Likes

Just heard from the Dr., sleep study shows I need a bipap machine. Hopefully better sleep is to follow and 2022 turns into the year of a slimmer SammyShaf. I can say that yhis year I slipped and got to my biggest. Finally tipping the scales over 300 was the most embarassing part of the year. I know that regular exercise, better eating, and not drinking like a freshman at a rugby social will lead to where I need to be for years to come.

1 Like

Anyone know where you can find a free work out online for golfers? I have been doing my own thing for a little bit and everything I have seen requires a subscription. Just wondering if there is anything out there I am missing.

Thanks in advance!!

If you follow Fit For Golf on Instagram or Twitter he posts a ton of good stuff. Of course, he has a paid app, but you could look back through his posts and put together a good program pretty quickly.

The flexibility stuff is more golf specific than the workouts themselves based on other trainers I’ve seen.

2 Likes

Awesome this is what I had in mind!

The full fit for golf app is great and I highly recommend it has everything from beginner to advance workouts mobility drills etc I gained a club and a half in my first two months of doing it

1 Like

Thanks I will check it out. Is it the same as fit for golf 50+? That is the only one I am seeing in the apple app store.

This resonates big time.
Putting down the quantity-focused light beer and swapping it for quality focused vodka and tequila has done me a world of good, weight-wise.
You can do it, I won’t even bull moose you if the drink’s in the wrong hand.

2 Likes

Need to buy it through here

1 Like

What’s up fellow campers. I feel like I’m at a bit of a fork in the road. Was over 350 lbs at 5’8 and 27 yrs old a couple months into the pandemic. Between July 2020 and May 2021, I lost 104 lbs. Didn’t do anything crazy. Just drank lots of water, ate better, and went on a million walks. Seriously going on walks is like the best part of my day now. Eventually stated doing some running and some of the fit for golf workouts too. But over the past 6 months, I’ve just been struggling. No motivation, up and down the scale, very poor eating habits coming back. I’ve put 20 back on in that period and I want to reverse that trend. I want to get back on the path I was on prior to that. I have a bad habit of using food to try and feel better. That’s a tough one to resolve.

Appreciate everyone posting in here. Hope to report back with some positive trends.

18 Likes

Weighed in at 194 this morning, about 45 lbs down since this time two years ago, and still maintaining enough strength to beat college wrestling superstar @MackReiter in arm wrestling (lefty). :wink: Just 10 more to go.

Best of luck to everyone during the holidays.

22 Likes

Brother! Think about all the success you’ve had already. Our past performance is a great indicator of our future success, and your performance shows you can kill it.

You have obviously seen that the secret to weight loss and living (more) healthy is not a few grand gestures, but disciplined, responsible choices that you make everyday. Every decision and choice you make is going to put you closer or further away from your goals, the discipline to make the correct choice is critical. There’s no easy answers. Goal setting can be key to maintaining long-term motivation when every little choice is small and not necessarily easy to make.

I always tell students that there’s no such things as an unmotivated or “lazy” person. They obviously like something, engage with something (and so do you). Whatever that is, use it. Don’t turn on the playstation until you’ve done a workout. Make a healthy snack choice or you’re not allowed to watch TV. Use the things you want to do to help you do the things you need to do. Get after it brother! Have a great weekend.

4 Likes