Heavyweights: Thicc Boys of the Refuge Unite!

Resurrecting this thread now that we’re in the age of the Coronavirus. Started working from home last week and the first week was a disaster. Lots of snacks and soda and a whole lot of nothing on the fitness front. I live in NC where a shelter in place is about to go into effect tomorrow so getting out won’t be much of an option either.

Started back this week and decided to swing for the fences with the Insanity workouts via the Mrs’s BeachBody on Demand subscription. Did these workouts as a way to trim up before my wedding back in 2012 thanks to a friend who had the DVDs. It’s an absolute ass kicking but hopefully will get me back on the right path. Started the week at 230lbs - dream goal by the end of the year is to get sub-200. Fingers crossed.

5 Likes

Good to have some kind of plan of attack for these strange times and altering of normal routines.
I am literally chasing kids around the house and outside all day so my move goals on my watch have been good.
Snacking is a problem but I am trying to stick to the intermittent fasting very strictly to at least limit the snacking window. And water water and more water.

2 Likes

good to get this back up and going

dropped 30 lbs last year and have flat lined this year
i’m eating well, getting a fair amount of exercise, but having a hard time laying off the beer… i mean its the end of the fucking world and all

gonna try to get a bike ride in today

3 Likes

@Blackngold35 I was in a similar boat the last couple of weeks. I’ve been doing intermittent fasting since the beginning of the year and lost 26 lbs by early March. I’ve gained 5 back even though I’m still doing intermittent fasting. My problem is three fold: 1. my wife and I are working while also watching the kids so I don’t really leave the house during the week; 2. I’m drinking every night b/c this situation is stressful; 3. we’re ordering, partially out of laziness but also b/c we want to support our local restaurants

Last year I joined Beachbody thanks to a girl my wife went to school with. At that point I wasn’t being a good eater but the programs made me much stronger and “tight” (loosely using for a very THICC boi). I’m going to start up Beachbody again Sunday night. I highly recommend LIIFT4, the trainer is great (forget his name) and it’s a good mix of cardio and strength.

Very happy we got this going again. Let’s stay strong through this!

(no idea why I replied to @HaveOuimet but whatever)

2 Likes

I think I’m about to buy a rowing machine for the garage. Going to the gym is something I should enjoy but the time it takes is just a pain. Hoping having equipment at the house makes it easier to get some work in quickly a few times a week.

1 Like

I’d be curious to hear any thoughts on good rowers

Concept2 Model D or E are widely regarded as the best. I researched them a couple years back for our work gym. Used at gyms and in home, fold up vertically and not prohibitively expensive

1 Like

Model C or D are completely fine, don’t need to pay up for the new ones.

I’ve had mine for 10+ years and it works great. Make sure you don’t leave the handle in the holder or it stretches out the chain.

If you get a used one make sure you test it out and the chain isn’t too loose

A good way of testing this is to go into the display drag factor and see what the 1,2,3,4,5 levels correspond to on the drag factor. 4 should be around 130-140.

Cc: @awest2265

1 Like

Since I have been stuck at home I have actually lost weight. Been walking on a treadmill every day and not eating as much. I know most people are trying to get under 200 lbs. I on the other hand am trying to get under 300. Got about 5 to go and then heading to my target. But love hearing how people are doing. Everyone keep trying and keep your head up! Before you know we all be skinnier and playing golf.

6 Likes

This 100%…beer goes well with the demise of humanity eh!!

1 Like

Are there any YouTube or App recommendations for in home workouts? Had a quick google, but lord knows what is good or not.

Peloton is offering access to their programs for free for 90 days. The Nike Training app is also free right now.

1 Like

If I pull the trigger, it’ll be a Concept2, as it’s basically the gold standard for functionality, reliability, and price. Wife is pushing for a peloton, and as nice as I’m sure it is, the rower is more full body work with cardio. I know 20 minutes on the rower will do me much better than 20 minutes on a bike.

1 Like

This is probably a me issue but 20 minutes on the rower seems like an eternity where 20 minutes on the peloton flies by.

Don’t disagree…just speaking in terms of a quick workout due to time restraints

Exercise is obviously good and important but I have found (for me) that the right diet is much more of a weight loss contributor vs. exercise. And I’ve been on this for 4 months now so definitely not just an initial shock to the system. This morning I hit the 40 lb milestone from my starting point the weekend after Thanksgiving. Cracked the 220lb mark!

The past 2.5 weeks I’ve had no real exercise to speak up save for one walking round before courses all shut. Weight loss has slowed some but still progressing.

For me the key has been meal planning, working away from our kitchen - my WFH office is set up in the basement - and just not having the really bad foods in the house to tempt me. I’d like to drop another 10-15 lbs but think the focus for the rest of this isolation will be on maintenance more than anything.

6 Likes

Come on @brutalbaum don’t be shy, show the group the “before and after” pics! Brag a little

1 Like

I think a thing that has helped me with self control during this recent period is this diet/weight loss is literally the only thing I can control right now.

Here’s two photos. One from Thanksgiving. The other from last week. Don’t mind the shirt/tie combo. Weird things happening in isolation.

image image

24 Likes

Crushin it my man. Keep it up!

1 Like

congrats! keep up the work

1 Like