Heavyweights: Thicc Boys of the Refuge Unite!

Checking in because forcing myself to type this will hopefully keep me accountable. Good progress so far with the Insanity workouts. Down about 5-6 lbs in a week to 224/5. Today is the “recovery” workout which sucks about as bad as any of the others. I’m handling most of the cardio and leg focused stuff ok but the various forms of push-ups and burpees are absolutely ejecting me.

Thankfully though working out to keep myself sane is as big of a boost as trying to lose the weight given all that’s going on. Had some cuts/furloughs at my job today - thankfully I’m ok (for now) but the workouts are helping to keep the stress levels manageable. That and having NLU content on the background for some much needed laughs.

3 Likes

I despise these but man they work! Good work!

As of this morning I’m down 28 lbs since the beginning of the year. My goal was 10% (29 lbs) before the NLU Scotland trip (RIP) which was a week from Saturday so I should hit that goal. My goal now will be to lose another 30 by 2021 NLU Scotland trip. If I get below 240 that will be the lightest I’ve been since probably 10th grade (many, many years ago)

9 Likes

Nice job! Keep it up - solid group of guis here who have all had success in different methods if you need any ideas or tips.

Progress continues. Burpees - and all their iterations (ex: 8 push-ups; 8 floor sprints; hop up and jump; repeat) still suck and I hate them with the fire of a thousand suns.
Hope everyone is staying healthy during the Age of Covid.

@HibernatingBear and @brutalbaum great work! It’s so encouraging to see the progress everyone is making.

I myself have lost 17 pounds since the beginning of the year. I broke the 270 barrier a couple days ago, which felt amazing. I’m already fitting into clothes that haven’t fit in a long while. Today I wore a shirt for an interview that didn’t fit me last month (it was still a little tight in the stomach, but it was a Zoom interview, they couldn’t see my stomach!)

All of that is due to diet. I’ve been about 80% plant based and have never felt better.

Now to add in exercise. My GF has been CRUSHING it on at home workouts, but I’ve been struggling to jump in with her. Idk what my barrier is… I feel like if I could get in a routine I’d be good to go. Any tips?

7 Likes

What’s preventing you from jumping in?

Idk, working out in my home just doesn’t feel right. But that’s an excuse. Posting here was the nudge I needed because I sound like an idiot outside of my own head lol

1 Like

Yeah I just wanted to know what your reason was before I said it was bullshit.

I get that working out at home isn’t the most ideal or uncomfortable but everything about this situation is uncomfortable. What kinds of workouts is your GF doing? What would you like to do?

1 Like

She’s doing a lot of workouts by female fitness influencers. Mainly centered around butt and abs.

But I have some at home golf workouts I could be doing

I wouldn’t want to do those either. The golf ones are always good options. I also recommend the Peloton app as they have 90 days free right now. Lots of variety on there!

1 Like

I do Beachbody on Demand programs. I love it bc it has a variety of options in terms of workouts but all of them are full body workouts. Right now I’m doing LIIFT4 bc I’m just getting back into working out and it combines lifting with HIIT plus core exercises after every workout. It’s also only 4 days per week which is a good start for me (a lot of the programs are everyday) and they provide structure (i.e just hit play and follow along)

I guess my advice would be to find something you enjoy, ease into it but build that routine. Find a time everyday where you can do it. For me, I do it around 9-930 every night after the kids are asleep and after some quality time (watching TV, having dinner) with my wife. Hardest part is getting started but, based on your diet, sounds like you have the discipline once you do find something you love

2 Likes

Intrigued by this. Looking in to getting a bucket hat with the logo John Duggan made for me, but am having issues. Is there a site that lets you mock up hats, or did you photoshop this one?

Liift4 is really good. I used to do p90x and just found it and really enjoy the half lifting and half cardio

1 Like

Fellow Heavyweights: has anyone on here crunched the numbers or found evidence on how many calories someone burns playing 18 holes of golf, riding or walking?

There are some vague articles that come up on a google search but most only give examples of people sub 300 pounds.

What are we thinking for some who is around 350? Do I burn O/U 1000 calories playing 18 holes riding?

Walking, looks like. Riding, no way.

https://www.fitnessforweightloss.com/how-many-calories-will-i-burn-if-i-walk-one-mile/

1 Like

How are the Thicc boys getting on during the lockdown? I struggled the first couple of weeks at home but I’ve got into a better rhythm lately and have started to lose weight again. I’m now 50 pounds(!) down from when we started the OG weight loss challenge. How’s everyone doing?

6 Likes

I was really good for the first couple weeks and then fell in a rut of snacking with the kids and not exercising besides a few walks with the family.
I’ve stuck to the intermittent fasting pretty much every day throughout and that has been my saving grace.
I bought a rowing machine a couple weeks ago and have gotten in a better routine of getting up early to do that and if I do that it directly correlates to making better eating decisions through the day.
I am sitting right at the original 30 pounds I lost going back to the OG challenge. My long term goal has been to get under the 200s, which would be 42 pounds lost from when we started but I am ok with the current status quo.

@HibernatingBear was doing some work. Any updates for the group?

4 Likes

After losing that much, not giving it back is a win. I think those plateaus where you just maintain are kind of important even if they are a little frustrating.

3 Likes

I’m still holding strong at ~30lbs lost since the beginning of the year (failed miserably during the OG competition).

During these times I’m happy maintaining. Drinking more often than I would during normal times so the fact that I’m not putting on weight is a positive in my head. I still continue to do intermittent fasting and working out 4 days a week.

4 Likes

I am excited to announce I have started my weight loss journey while all this craziness has been going on. I posted in this thread a couple weeks ago for the first time about a calorie question but here is a little background on me and my goals.

I am currently 365 pounds and am about six foot seven. My first goal is to get down to around 350 and see what happens next. I am kicking myself that I did not join the competition earlier but I am looking forward to reading through this thread and catching up on everything.

Anyways, I started at right around 369 and have been keeping track for almost exactly 2 weeks now. Not as much loss as I was hoping for in the beginning but anything is better than nothing I suppose.

So far, I have been trying to eat less, not necessarily healthier foods, but just my regular foods in smaller quantities. I figured this would be easier for a month or so versus changing my diet completely. I have also been getting up earlier and taking a 2 mile walk everyone morning about 6 days a week. I think this is the thing that has been helping the most because I feel like being more active for the rest of the day after doing this. Last, I have been drinking a lot more water on a daily basis and as anyone else living in AZ knows, getting dehydrated is easier this time of year than staying hydrated.

That is all I have for now but it feels good to have a place to write this and know that other people reading it are in the same boat.

13 Likes