Golf and Photography

4TpI13BW3VMCSnOnOx (1)

1 Like

Cool. I’ll set one up shortly and stick a message here.

4 Likes

And it exists! For non-golf photography there is now a thread called
The Darkroom: General Photography Posts and Discussion

3 Likes

Photography (non-golf related) question -

If you were a total beginner, but wanted to get a camera to do photography for my kid’s youth sports (indoor and outdoor) that is better than my iphone, where would one begin? Willing to spend a few hundred bucks, but not a few thousand. Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Paging @TCRBrad… he’s a wizard for sports photography, he can probably steer you in a good direction. Also, feel free to check out The Darkroom for some extra gear chat.

2 Likes

For sports, particularly indoor sports, you’ll need a speedy telephoto zoom. Brand new, these types of lenses aren’t cheap. I always buy my camera stuff used. It saves thousands. I recommend you look at eBay and buy something like:

A Canon 70D and a 70-200 mm f2.8 (which is one of the best lenses ever made). In total when adding in cards and maybe an additional battery it should come in less than USD1000. See eg:

The lens is compatible with new camera bodies from canon (you’ll need an adapter for the mirrorless bodies) and should last you for years to come.

If you can find the IS (ie image stabilisation) version of the lens within your budget, even better.

2 Likes

FTFY :wink:

But @luckin11 WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF PHOTO SICKOS!!!

Do you have a brand preference, any specific feature preference, or specific sports your kiddo is playing in?

1 Like

Super helpful! Youngest is still trying to figure out her sports. Oldest is Lax and Football (the american kind).

Look at Tamron to start if you’re not looking to break the budget. A 70-200mm f 2.8 is industry standard for sports no matter the event. Camera wise, you can do just fine with anything that shoots at 5 frames a second or more for sports. That 70D is PERFECT for all around shooting and you can do well with video on them as well.

3 Likes

I was just given the go ahead to buy a new camera for work. Put an order in for the new Fuji X-T5 with the 16-80mm kit lens. Coming from an X100F, I’m pretty excited to see what this thing can do! Any Fuji guys in here have recommendations for some can’t miss lenses? I know the 16–55 is supposed to be legendary, but it’ll be a while until I can drop the grand on that one.

I’m just getting into the Fuji line with the XT5 as well. I’ve gotten the 10-24mm, 70-300mm, and a Viltrox 13mm. Gonna get the 16-80mm as well soon. I’ve heard good things about the 16-55, but it is a pretty heavy lens. All the “Red Badge” lenses are supposed to be excellent from my understanding, but they’re also the most expensive

1 Like

Loving my Fuji XT-1 and pancake lens on the course so far! Having such a compact camera and lens package is so so nice. Legitimately fits in a jacket pocket, also fits in my pushcart mesh pocket.

9 Likes

Finally got this guy! Stoked to start taking it out. I got it with the 16-80mm kit lens, and I think the first lens I’ll get will be the updated 23mm f1.4 so I can kind of keep the same aesthetic I had with the x100f. From there the slope could get awfully slippery. Been watching too many damn videos waiting for this thing to come in!:moneybag:

12 Likes

It’s so beautiful #fujigang

jrutBd1N7ZhsINAPzs

3 Likes

Cross posting from the dark room

3 Likes

Someone pick my lens for this Saturday overcast round and I’ll roll with it (on crop sensor).

80-400
18-118 kit
35 1.8
60 2.8
17-50 2.8

1 Like

35 1.8

After all it is the year of P.R.I.M.E

2 Likes

Can any Chicago folks name the course?

3 Likes

Skokie CC?

Lived in San Diego for 18 years, got to play a lot of golf on that golf course for sure, Theses pictures are great. Any chance of sending the files so i can get them printed and put up on my wall?