Golf and Photography

First day out with the Fuji went well

22 Likes

Nice shots! What lens? I’m picking out lenses currently for my Fuji

1 Like

27mm F2.8

Maybe not the best for golf, tough to frame stuff. I’m getting a 50-200 soon, hoping that will be a bit better. The pancake is so convenient though, will definitely use it a lot. I shot a ton with canon 50mm so the 27mm feels very similar. Still capable! especially on tee boxes taking pictures of playing partners.

5 Likes

Sheeeeesh

2 Likes

First camera purchase (and really use other than iphone) in 12 years. Boy these mirrorless things sure seem nifty. My last camera was a nikon from the 80s I used for b+w print photography…

2 Likes

It’s going to blow your mind. The thing I found hardest after also not touching a “real” camera for a large number of years and then going digital is figuring out exactly where the controls for certain settings are hidden. Since, in the digital realm, different knobs, buttons, and dials can have contextual meaning, they may do different things depending on what mode you are shooting in.

EDIT: Also, the automatically adjusting variable ISO. I’ve definitely been tripped up by that before when shooting sports indoors.

2 Likes

Things have escalated

12 Likes

Welcome to mirrorless gang :facepunch:

2 Likes

Let’s talk lenses for a second cause I keep spinning the tires trying to decide the kit to get. I mostly do landscapes along with golf. Body is going to be the Fuji XT5, which apparently some of the X lenses are better suited for the 40mp sensor, which I’m not 100% on that being a big deal yet.

I’m looking at the 10-24mm f/4 as my wide lens. I’m fairly convinced on that. Everything beyond that is up in the air.

Trying to figure out the long range, I really like what I’ve heard about the 50-140 f/2.8 and I think it would be a great lens for the golf course. I’m also looking at getting more reach for the landscape stuff and like the 70-300mm, but that’s a lot of overlap with the 50-140, which is almost pointless to have both.

Then in the middle, trying to decide to do like a 16-80 f/4 or two primes like a 33/35 and a 50. There’s also the 18-55 that could fit this space too.

I also want to do some astro stuff so any recommendations on lenses is welcome. Thinking a very fast, wide prime for this.

Anyone want to share what they’ve got for their kit or experience with any of these lenses?

2 Likes

Would you like to buy mine I’m trying to sell? DM me if so

1 Like

Someone give me an answer to my dilemma…want/need to buy a prime for my aps-c crop sensor Sony. Looking at a 30-35mm and a 50-56mm pending brand, but any input on which is gonna be a better option. The 50-56mm range seems like it might be solid for portrait type family photos, but the 30-35mm range might be more ideal for outside (golf, landscape) type stuff, maybe a bit more all around. Is the answer rent both to tinker around with, or am I thinking about this too much?

To my mind, that decision comes down to personal preference and feel as well as the defined use case of each lens. I have done a good amount of street photography, and have found that the 50mm on an APS-C sensor (75mm equivalent) was good for me because of where I often was, relative to my subject, when I saw the shot.

One way to find out what focal length you gravitate toward for a given use/subject/environment is to go out with a kit lens (35-55mm or the like) and just shoot for the day, zooming in or out whenever necessary. When you get back, offload the photos and double check what focal length the ones whose composition “worked” were taken at.

2 Likes

50mm prime on a crop sensor seems like a more niche lens for portraits to me

Imo will be tough to take outdoor photos that show much scale / background. FOV is much much larger on a pancake lens or similar (25-35mm range crop sensor)

2 Likes

Stupid question, but can this info be found when working in Lightroom?

Also, have only done golf photography thus far. Got any tips for getting into street photography? I’ve been watching a ton of Faizal Westcott on YouTube lately and want to try it myself.

There should be a little “i” icon that will give you information about the photo. Clicking that will spawn a little box that looks just like this:

It will tell you when you took the photo, the camera used. Then the lens information, with the focal length you shot it at displayed before the range that the lens is capable of.

At the bottom is shutter speed, aperture, and ISO.

On the iPad it shows up to the right of the photo after hitting the little “i’ icon on the bottom right.

When it comes to shooting out on the street: be bold, but also read the room. Sometimes you need to ask, sometimes you can just shoot. It’s VERY context dependent. If someone gets annoyed, apologize and offer to delete. More often than not, folks don’t even notice. If you want to shoot someone in particular, asking and then letting them know where they can find the photo (if it comes out) can go a long way to getting permission.

If you are shooting in a public space you absolutely have a right to shoot, but knowing your rights will only save you from litigation, not from a punch in the nose.

Since COVID, I haven’t been out and about much, but I’m looking forward to doing some more shooting when I can.

6 Likes

Cool, thank you for that!

Needed the push to be bold. I’m very shy/hesitant with the camera in my hand

Haven’t exactly found the “eye” yet or my look, but that means I just need to keep shooting!

Worth noting you can get cool shots in the city without people as the subject (or even in frame!)

I’m still hesitant to take photos of strangers

Some of my faves Ive taken

5 Likes

Love that first one!!

1 Like

I’m wondering if we should make a non-golf photography area so those of us who photograph other things can share our work. Thoughts?

4 Likes

I’m all for that!

1 Like