Golden Age Classic III - June 11, 2022 at Cedar Crest in Dallas, TX

You don’t have to do it, it will likely be 36 people, there will absolutely be some holes won with birdies, I’ve seen that at plenty of events, and the purpose is to raise money for charity.

1 Like

Oh I’m totally in and not expecting to get my money back. Just curious about the details. Thanks, Kyle.

2 Likes

There is a skins game at Waterview in Rowlett every Saturday. It’s always about 40 to 50 guys playing in it. There is definitely not a winning skin on every hole, but there’s always at least a couple. Let’s not forget that you would go home pretty happy if you were the only one to win a skin and took home the pot on Saturday.

Prepping tee gifts. We have team-specific ballmarkers this year. NLU front office also sent us some goodies.

12 Likes

Also apparently Cedar Crest moved our morning tee times to 830 am instead of 8.

1 Like

The stickers came out so freaking good

5 Likes

This open to non nest guis? my little half brother moved to town and this would be perfect for him.

Yes - you mean playing in the event? We just had a spot open up about 30 seconds ago and as of now also still have an afternoon alt-shot spot open (with a few tentative possibilities). We’ll take any warm body with an approximate handicap who knows the rules of golf - I promise it’s fun. I noticed you didn’t sign up either @lonestarguido - you’re welcome to play too!

Thanks, ill let him know.

I would love to but have kids sports all day saturday and was traveling all week…wife would kill me.

1 Like

We just filled the afternoon only slot. We currently have one open all day slot, have some tentative interest, but we’re taking the first solid commitment.

@BigPlex

We’ll be gathering at Cidercade Dallas tomorrow night ahead of the Golden Age Classic III. We have a couple tables reserved starting at 7:30 PM to set down stuff and eat. Anyone is welcome to join whether you’re playing or not. Some of us are bringing spouses, significant others, even our kids until it goes 21+ at 8:00.

Around 8:30 PM I’ll auction off the two sweet headcovers you can see in the thread above. I’ll also have a few surplus GACIII hats ($25) for those who couldn’t make the tourney for sale, and maybe a couple extra Big Plex hats ($20). All net proceeds from this event and everything else we do this year is donated to the I Am A Golfer Foundation. I’ll post later, like I always do, a summary of that charity and our efforts.

It’s $10 to get in and play all the games you want. They have their ciders on tap. There is no food there, but there is a food truck outside, and you’re allowed to bring in or order food.

I hope to see a lot of you out there. If you’re playing Saturday, remember to drink a lot of water, unless you’re on Forrest’s team, in which case, get after it!

4 Likes

CHARITY POST - nearly verbatim from last year

For those of you who’ve never played in a Refuge event before, one thing we prioritize in all of our big events is finding a charitable focus. Here’s some info on our focus at @BigPlex .

Like the last two years, we’re raising money for Cedar Crest’s I Am A Golfer Foundation, which provides paid internships, scholarships, and free youth golf instruction primarily to residents of south Dallas. You’ll notice that just about everyone working at the course is fairly young and a POC. That’s not an accident. This is the current chapter of Cedar Crest’s long, great history, of being one of the only golf courses in the area where anyone was welcome to play, even hosting professional tournaments for golfers not allowed on the PGA Tour at the time. Many people know Walter Hagen won the 1927 PGA Championship at Cedar Crest. Fewer know that Charlie Sifford won UGA events here before he was allowed to compete on the PGA Tour.

Ira Molayo, the longtime head pro at Cedar Crest, is a truly impactful part of our golfing community. It only takes a quick google search to see examples of his impact through Cedar Crest. The assistant pro we worked with last year, Maulana Dotch, worked with Ira at Cedar Crest for many years, and used her experience to became GM at Hermann Park in Houston, the first Black woman to hold such a role. Ira and the foundation have conducted clinics to help establish Dallas Carter’s golf team, and several years ago, he took in and taught a troubled kid he noticed kept hopping the fence to get on the course.

I know we all joke about shrinking the game, but this is a place that truly “grows” the game in a way that makes golf accessible, fun, and even a potential career path to people who otherwise would never be exposed to the game or might think that it’s something not available to them.

If you want more backstory, check out @Cody’s Downrange podcast with Ira where he talks about the course, the history, and the foundation.

To that end, our efforts to raise money are fully voluntary like every year (we mostly break even between entry payments and costs), but hopefully with a little more incentive and fun:

-As said above, two badass headcovers are being auctioned off.

-At check in, you will receive your team hat, a bag of custom Big Plex wooden tees and NLU tees, custom event team ballmarkers, and custom event stickers, and NLU has also donated a sun buff and sticker packet for each participant. We’ll have an “Swag Honor Jar” set up for you to contribute an amount you think is worth the swag, should you so choose.

-Rather than doing charity props, this year we are trying a net skins pot. You can sign-up on the main google sheet

-In addition to the swag jar, you can make a donation online afterwards. If you do make an online donation, please specify in the re: line that you’re with NLU and the Golden Age Classic, and I’d appreciate it if you DM me with the amount (I won’t share your individual donation) so that we can “announce” to ourselves, NLU, and the course an estimated total amount donated once it’s all over.

2 Likes

UPDATED PAIRINGS

Morning Fourball (Shotgun Start at 8:30 A.M. - starting holes may change)

Afternoon Alt-Shot (will likely start later than 2:00)

2 Likes

Question is everyone walking the am rounds or are carts available?

Carts and range balls come with the fee. Given how hot it will be Saturday, I think a lot more people will ride the morning round than usual. There will be no shaming either way. We moved this up nearly two months from the last couple years and still got hammered by the weather.

Riding is mandatory for alt-shot. You don’t ride with your partner but your teammate in the other match who is hitting on the same tees as you. If you’re not teeing off, you will head down the fairway to wait on your partner’s tee shot - this keeps it moving since we’ll be in 8somes save for one match.

1 Like

36 holes in 102 degree weather? In the interest of being alive for the last 9 holes of alt shot, I will be taking cart :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

My partner and I started out walking last year and it was pretty miserable around hole 8 and we switched to a cart. It’s not a bad walk but the 10 am humidity hits hard.

I walked the first 18 and thought I was a goner at lunch

5 Likes

Also, like before, there is one NIT spot on the line amongst Nest members who are playing. Since this is a team event, the winning team will choose who on their team they think earned the spot based on their performance.

Haha yeah I was a little worried about you. But then you flew the green with driver on 8!

2 Likes