Golden Age Classic - Dallas, TX (07/19/2020)

Somewhere Greller is smiling while saying he loved the number.

Or maybe it was Spieth who loved the number. Who can say.

2 Likes

Very much a sucker for a good over club challenge. @BrendanPorath

1 Like

Charitable update, with most precincts reporting, the last tally I had was that we’ve donated (EDIT) $1,789.00 to https://www.iamagolfer.com/. Pretty damn good for 23 strangers planning something last minute.

I traded emails with the head pro at CC last night, and she was really appreciative. If anyone else has donated and not reported, feel free to send me a DM so I can include it in the final number.

I know this is a weird time for everyone. We had younger guis in our group, people in grad school, and everyone is navigating strange career, childcare, and other life flux, so thanks all around for the generosity, enthusiasm, and great vibes for the day.

Onto The Colligan Cup. cc @the_korn_ferry

6 Likes

Imagine that format. You get to club your opponent with the requirement that you overclub him by 1-2 clubs…lowest score wins.

2 Likes

First time poster here. I was in the tee time right behind the tourney outing at CC on Sunday afternoon. I had no idea it was a NLU outing until the group in front of us noticed the NLU towel/headcovers our group was donning.

I’m sure it was comical watching us come up 18 as my father in law and I halved the hole with a TRIPLE! Birdied two of the par 5s though (a 2putt birdie on #7 and a 0putt birdie on #16)

I’ll be keeping my eye out for the next outing!

7 Likes

That was really cool chatting with you on the 3rd tee right before I hook-splashed my 7i into the pond. Welcome aboard. We created this thread for the event, but we also have a community thread for Texas golfers, which is a good place to get a random tee time together at the last minute or talk about area courses.

3 Likes

Anyone wanna try and do another one of these things?

3 Likes

if i am free I am in

Some of the folks were talking about setting up a “Colligan Cup” where we set up an ongoing match play tourney at the courses in the 'plex that Colligan-Kemp redid - Stevens, Irving, Rockwood, Luna, Rangers, etc. If we could gauge interest and then someone wants to take lead on organizing, that is something we could have on an ongoing basis throughout the fall as people’s schedule permits that would still get us together without needing a single date, then maybe we could do a final event seeded by match records or something like that.

4 Likes

I couldn’t be more in for this idea

1 Like

Didn’t make the last event, but definitely in for the Colligan Cup idea.

I’m in for this as well. Think it would be a great idea. I need something to look forward to if college football is up in the air.

1 Like

I mean I coined it the Colligan Classic, but the Colligan Cup ain’t bad either. The first edition was a great success.

2 Likes

We could also call it the CK Cup over Three Bridges but have a plaque for the winners.

You want me to go next level on this? Ok sure I’m happy to.

1. The CJ Cup @ Nine Bridges doesn’t give out a cup to the winner…they give them a plaque. Yes it’s a really cool plaque featuring the names of everybody in the tournament plus a replica of the 18th hole bridge…but it’s still a plaque and not a cup.

2. The course, Nine Bridges, only has eight bridges instead of nine. Why is this? Because the ninth bridge is metaphorical. It’s a bridge that connects (separates) the club from its members (but more likely just) its guests who will never become members.

3. To shift back to Dallas…we too have bridges in our fair burgh. The Trinity River Project is a public works project cooked up in the 1990’s by former mayor Ron Kirk and Ross Perot Jr to turn the Trinity River into a social and recreational hub akin to the San Antonio Riverwalk or Austin’s Lady Bird Lake. Sounds easy enough, right?

4. One of the most significant parts of this plan was for Dallas to have 3 beautiful Santiago Calatrava bridges surrounding the river and downtown area. The first bridge, the Margaret Hunt Hill, was completed in 2012 and clumsily connects confused drivers from I-35 into the Trinity Groves/west Dallas dining scene.

5. The second bridge, named after Margaret McDermott, replaced an old, decrepit bridge along I-30 west of downtown. After six years of problems that included only part of Calatrava’s design being used because the construction company blew through the budget (and then a lot more) trying to get the roadwork finished, the bridge finally opened in 2018.

6. Actually I lied…the bridge itself has never opened to pedestrian and cyclists because of a construction nightmare. The concrete roadway gets cars back and forth but that’s as far as they’ve ever made it after 22 years on this bridge. Without going further into the muck, I would strongly suggest not driving across this bridge in high winds unless you’re ok taking a chance that another one of the bridges cables might snap off and hit your car.

7. Alright so onto the third and final bridge known as the Ron Kirk Bridge. Oh wait…you haven’t seen it as you’re driving up from south Dallas along I-35? Yeah that’s because they never built it.

8. The powers that be had this grand plan to build a magnificent bridge and tollroad connecting north and south Dallas while simultaneously decongesting the 30/35 and 30/75 mixmasters. On top of cost overruns that had come up at every other stage of this now 20+ year project, the Ron Kirk Bridge ultimately died when those opposing the plan pointed out that a high dollar tollway with no exits for Bishop Arts, Downtown, Victory Park and/or Trinity Groves will really only benefit the wealthier residents of north Dallas and surrounding suburbs as they jettisoned in and out of Dallas at their leisure. It would also serve to place an increased financial burden on the poorer residents of south Dallas during their commutes to/from work north of downtown.

9. If you’ve made it this far, I congratulate you on making it to the metaphorical ninth point of this post. While it is not an actual point, it is simply here to drum up fond memories for @DuckDuckHook of the day when my team beat his team up and down the fairways of south Dallas and now he has to dress up as Perry Maxwell at the Sweetens Super Regional this weekend. My condolences to @cgroom for not finding a way to work your TEN and EIGHT beatdown of @EdEddEddie into this long and winding post until the very end.

6 Likes

Organizers and qualifiers don’t forget to check Randy’s most recent post and get yourselves set up for the NIT. @tx_southpaw @cgroom @mctrees02

1 Like

Hey guis, @mctrees02 and I need to give NLU names for a couple alternates to the NIT in Jax from this event due to unexpected/expected conflicts for a couple qualifiers. Our records, however, are less than stellar. So, if you won at least one of your matches and have even a general idea of your net score to par in that round, and are available to actually go to the NIT, either reach out to us via DM or if y’all want we can figure out the two alternates publicly here. Or if you just want to state your case for getting the spot in here, that’s fine too.

2 Likes

AM Winners
tx_southpaw - already qualified
@therealmarkymark

Me
@Toblerone47 (think he shot close to net par and also carried a teammate with the shanks)

@jsteve15 (won both matches and walked all 36 in that weather)
@EdEddEddie (we could resurrect him since @cgroom can’t go)

@the_korn_ferry (won both matches convincingly, eagle holeout on 5 at cedar crest, may have been close to top in net scoring
@NobodiesMedic

AS match
@ShinGolf
@MikeHoncho
@SpiethGotMono
@TCU_AG

PM Winners
@jsteve15 (see above)
@CPaden
Michael (not a nest member)
CGroom (we’ve been over this)
@McRiddles (6 and 5)
@ShinGolf (we think he had one of the better net scores)
mctrees (captain and can’t go)
the_korn_ferry (see above)
@McNutty (obliterated me, seemed like he shot really well to net par)

PM AS match
@TCU_AG (two ties!)
@Kgilles5