Fellow NLU golfers in Wichita, KS area?

yep flipped when they renovated . new white sand bunkers and cart path curbs /routing really excellent

Recently played at Winterstone up in Independence, MO. With the exception of the 70 yard Par 3, 12th I really loved the course. Just seemed like they kinda ran out of room while building it and had to fit in another Par 3. Well taken care of and lots of elevation change throughout.

https://www.winterstonegolf.com

Apparently in that area there used to be a lot of mining. We were paired with some local guys that had said if you were out on the course around 4:30 you could hear/feel the blasts going off. Made me think of Caddyshack and if you had a ball hanging on the lip if the blast would knock it in. :smile:

1 Like

Hey @PushCartGodfather, let’s keep the Wichita thread to the Wichita area… :sunglasses:

That course looks fun though.

1 Like

Not from Wichita but glad to see all of the people from KC in the thread. We should look into doing a KC event sometime.

I’m in Lee’s Summit and play Drumm Farm, Winterstone, and Stone Canyon most of the time. Stone Canyon may be one of my favorites in the metro area. Haven’t played them all yet, but it’s the leader in the clubhouse.

1 Like

Retweet on a KC event and Stone Canyon. I’m building a little Par 3er in KCK area and someone suggested getting together there (mildly joking, im sure). Armchair Architect Needed: Help design backyard wedge range

1 Like

A little late to the thread, new to the refuge.

Fellow KS golfer here. Grew up in Topeka, but currently living in KC. Played a lot of golf growing up around the whole state in KGA/KJGA events, as well as recreational rounds. Happy to see fellow NLU fans around the state and in the KC area!

2 Likes

punting on WRX and dipping toe in the water here. I’m in Hutchinson, @protrajT . Used to live in OP and played at Brookridge for the KC crowd.

2 Likes

@Christian @tnord Welcome fellas.

@tnord Based on what I’ve seen from the two communities, I think you’ll find The Refuge to be less uptight and less on the nerdy side. Although it is still fairly new, it seems to be more about the hobbyists, enjoyment and community.

I thought I recognized that name, I follow you on Twitter. Will PM you there.

2 Likes

Visiting Wichita before heading to PD this weekend. Am hitting up Wichita CC and Sand Creek before heading over. Preferred brewery in Wichita? Looking at Wichita Brewing Company and River City.

2 Likes

Dont miss the BTK trail

Can’t go wrong with either of those. RC was our go-to when we lived downtown. Good food at both places too.

If you’re just looking for beer, there are several others downtown: Norton’s, Aeroplains, Central Standard, Hopping Gnome, Pour House. All have a little bit different vibes.

2 Likes

Big fan of central standard. Gotta go there with a good crew though. No entertainment outside of the folks you are with.

2 Likes

Nice! Enjoy your trip and welcome to Wichita!

Would love to hear some feedback and a full trip report.

Never played Wichita CC but have been wanting to check that out. If you are ever heading back let me know and we can get out to several spots.

Have several clients that are breweries in ICT…

If you want to go to the best one, definitely go to Norton’s. Nothing else comes close to it as of yet (my opinion only folks, but from much experience it should be trusted!) The bacon crack appetizer is incredible and the Monte Cristo needs to be had.

WBC (West side at 13th and Tyler is the original one) is great as well. If you like IPA’s definitely check out the new Mad Scientist and the Johnny B’s Beer Band. Chicken + BBQ pizza is the :goat:.

2 Likes

Sand Creek just aerated on Tuesday so just a heads up to temper expectations there. Hit up Carraige Crossing in Yoder between Wichita and Hutch if you want no beer but lots of home cookin.

4 Likes

Those cinnamon rolls tho… :drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face:

I appreciate all the responses! I’m landing around noon on Thursday and will be pretty much non-stop until I fly out late Sunday afternoon. Obviously PD is the highlight of the trip, but I will have a few moments between rounds to check one or two of these out.

Also appreciate the heads up at Sand Creek. Won’t deter me from playing there, but good to know coming in. My course just aerated last week too. Tis the season.

1 Like

Not to throw cold water on a hot trip, but what does the aerification schedule look like at PD? Most courses in KC are right in the middle of it… some did last week and others this & next.

They did Dry Jecting the week before I went. They should be as pure as pure gets right now.

4 Likes

Just played Saturday and everything was on the backend of healing, played just fine.

3 Likes

Wichita really surprised me. Cool little town. The Old Town area was really good. Unfortunately, I got stormed out at Wichita CC. The weather best better up north. Sand Creek Station was fine. Greens still recovering a bit and fairways had been verticut. Prairie Dunes was pretty much a spiritual experience for an architecture nerd like me. Hope I make it back to ICT soon. It most definitely didn’t disappoint.

2 Likes