FCF Presents The Classic Club Challenge, June 4th 2023 at The Mines Golf Course

Here’s what I’ll be rocking, with a different putter to get that sweet sweet extra 15%

4 Likes

I’m not sure what the policy on giving out potential sources is, but in case y’all weren’t aware Goodwill has an auction site.

Might I recommend the below for an enterprising fellow looking to get into some 80’s equipment. Needs a little TLC but the price is (currently) right…

Just be careful not to start bidding against each other :laughing:

And now we play the waiting game…

5 Likes

That hat is :fire::fire::fire:

2 Likes

Bonus thought brought up on the side that I wanted to throw out the to group:
Don’t be afraid to let your outfit match your clubs.

Got some early thousand’s sticks and you can find old baggy polo’s and pants a-la Tiger? Do it.
Even better, got some 80’s clubs and the Payne Stewart outfit to match? Be a hero.

How sweet would it be to have the group pic include a medley of period clothes on top of the old sticks we plan to bring??? EPIC

2 Likes

Oh good, I was already planning to do this. The hat above will be worn, just gotta figure out the rest.

1 Like

Not sure I want to wear a suit and tie to the course in June. :slight_smile: But I like the idea…

2 Likes

We’re deep in the lab here at Gafflin Ole Time Golf. A couple of sneak peaks:

Screenshot_20230309-202640~2

3 Likes

From what I’ve seen, your hat collection brings straight heat. That one is absolute fire.

2 Likes

Updates:

• We’ve got 8 spots left
  • There will be merch/grab bags given out to best dressed
  • I’ll be providing cold brewskis and mementos in the parking lot before the first tee time
  • In addition to the points you’ll get towards qualifying for the FcF Roost Team, there will be a prize for our winners

Looking forward to it!

4 Likes

so to make sure I’m reading this right, if I’m trying to play in the retro category (1991 irons) I need to have driver/wedges/putter from then or earlier?

1 Like

I think anything before like 2002 works, sheet says 20-35 year old clubs

1 Like

right right, just trying to put a little shopping list together for what I need to round out my retro bag hahah

2 Likes

@zeoalex correct-a-mudo, era is established by newest club in the bag.

And we’re shooting for an era more than a specific year, so as @ScottC said, anything you find that is mid-90s would be applicable to the retro category

I was just doing the same - goodwill hopping to make sure the driver/woods I bring out match the irons! Now it’s just a question if I bother to regrip everything or play em dirty…

Bueno! looking at some titleist 975D/F possibly, then just gotta find a wedge. Gonna break out my great grandfather’s putter…I have no idea what year it is from but there is NO chance it’s newer than 1990s hahah.

my mizunos are long and upright which I need to fix but they apparently just got brand new grips so maybe I’m just going to have them bent down…we’ll see.

1 Like

I guess I need a ruling on my irons, they were made in 2000 lol

1 Like

Assuming the rest of the set is the same age or older I’m game to call em retros. For better or worse, at your hcp it doesn’t impact things too much

2 Likes

My retro bag is lefty and I’m not sure if I can ruin my first round at the Mines by playing opposite handed. Need to start hunting for something more usable because this is an awesome idea for an event!

3 Likes

You say that, but I’ve never played with these clubs lol I have a wedge that’s also from like 99-2000, everything else is 90s

2 Likes

How many rounds do you have to get in to establish an LH hcp for the event a-la Tron from tourist sauce?

1 Like