FCF Presents The Classic Club Challenge, June 4th 2023 at The Mines Golf Course

FCF Presents the Classic Club Challenge, at The Mines Golf Course June 4th 2023

What: 24(ish) Blocked Tee times for the FCF in a non-elevated event
When: Sunday June 4th, Tee times from ~8am - 8:45am
Where: As made famous on Tour Sauce MI, Grand Rapids’ own downtown Devries specialty - the Mines GC
Who: YOU! Hosted by the @FreshCoastFlock , we welcome FCF, FCF adjacent, any other NLU Roost members who wants to have a good time, and possibly our rando friends we’re otherwise trying to convert into true sickos
Prizes: Points to qualify for FCF Roost qualifying spots, possibly duck race or raffle prizes
How much: $75 for 18 holes of Golf w/cart, with $9 per person going to charity

Scoring: Playing the one-ups, an 80% HCP Quota game - but with a #Catch.

The #Catch: The older* the clubs in your bag, the lower the quota you need to achieve! 4 categories: Modern, Classic, Retros, and Historical
*Age as defined by the newest club you’re playing

• Modern - what you can buy off the shelves today - GI irons, Modern mallet putters, Carbon Fiber Drivers (~0-7yr old): no bonus
  • Classic - Your old highschool gamers, think early GI irons, Classic blades, a Ping Anser 2 , and some prime time big cat stuff (~7-20yr old clubs): you only need to achieve 85% your target quota
  • Retros - Your dad’s sticks from the 90’s - early cavity backs, big bertha drivers, things of that nature (~20-35yr old clubs): only shooting for 70% your target quota
  • Historical - Goodwill Persimmons, Hickories, and unidentifiable stuff you dug outa some old dude’s barn at an estate sale and had to brush the dust off with a broom (35+yr old) - 50% your target quota

As with Highlander “There can only be one” → so all categories are competing for one top spot & winner. Quota adjustments were made to balance the field according to careful mathematical evaluation of whatever seemed fair according to my 14mo and 3yr old kids. Sadly, there will be no negotiating, as neither one of them understands the concept.
The point is to have fun, follow the TC way, and get out together for a good time!

Google Doc here, get your name in there. We’ve got 24 spots blocked off so don’t wait! Can’t wait to go down and get down

12 Likes

Love this. Count me in with my really old hickories and persimmons.

6 Likes

:fire: :fire: :fire: Might be the perfect deadline for me to get my hickory set in order!

4 Likes

Birth year set ready to roll

4 Likes

Love this idea

3 Likes

Anyone got some old sticks I can borrow??

4 Likes

Incredibly good format (that I will 100% be stealing) even though I take offense to the idea that a club from 2016 should be in the “classic” division haha

4 Likes

7 years ago as my mind remembers it is still like 2007, so it was a major struggle to put age ranges on club generational dispersion…

4 Likes

Is this the excuse I needed to finally put grips on the set of Goodwill Ping Eye 2s I picked up 2 years ago?

3 Likes

Play em without grips at all! Just be there :rofl:

2 Likes

Damn I am going to be at Belvedere on this day.

3 Likes

this is exactly my plan too #LOTB

2 Likes

Alright, I’m in

2 Likes

yeah LFG!

2 Likes

How many clubs of the set need to fit the category? I have a set of retro irons but unfortunately not the supporting cast…if need be I’ll hunt some shit down though!

2 Likes

Totally willing to be a little flexible! Just want to avoid a scenario where someone plays a stealth 2 driver and a hickory putter to try to take advantage of the hcp bonus :laughing:
Be about that TC way!

3 Likes

I’ve got some MP 59s (2011) and G25 D/3/5 (2013) you are welcome to use. Would fit the Classic category, definitely a long ways from retro or historical.

2 Likes

The age of your newest club is going to be what sets the handicap quota requirements so that will avoid any situations like that.

4 Likes

@Manhattan I assume ‘historical’ is actually 35+ and not 25+ since it overlaps?

If I can find myself a decent set of persimmons, I could easily go Historical but will most likely end up in Retro.

1 Like

1 Like