Central Pennsylvania (PA) Thread

I just called to ask and they allow walking but it’s the same price as riding.

So @T_Fox @SearchingForPar and anyone else… here are the options I see and think we should choose from.

Royal Oaks- 710 or 740
Dauphin Highlands 656
Overlook- any time between 7-740

Play there about every other week in the summer. Two courses, both fun and challenging but not too hard. The Founders course has tight corridors, but except for a few holes with OB, you’re not completely dead if you get offline. Iron Forge is a links style and it can get windy out there. A big ballpark, but they let the fescue grow tall, so if hit into it, the ball is gone. Play the correct tees and don’t be afraid to maybe even move up. If played properly you’re going to have a lot of birdie holes, but things can go sideways quickly.

cc: @HibernatingBear for more tips.

2 Likes

I took off for the open so i’d be down to join you guys if you still need one more.

Yea that would be great. Preference on location?

I’m good with either of the three so i’ll leave it up to @T_Fox and @SearchingForPar

1 Like

Of course I am at my in-laws in the Poconos on the nicest week for golf this year! Nice to see so much action in here! Enjoy the weather.

1 Like

@tdogg21 summed up the courses pretty well.

Couple things to note for a buddies trip:

1. it’s a dry county but they let you BYOB in the clubhouse/course. Just something to be aware of and it honestly will prob save you money

2. My parents live in the community (off 5 on Forge) and it’s a 55 and older community. Won’t affect your time there (always lots of buddies trips there) but just an FYI in terms of the crowd you’ll see while there.

Both Courses are almost always in great shape and you’ll have fun playing them both. I personally like Founders more but it’s an argument I have often with my parents friends

2 Likes

This might not be true anymore. They got around the dry township rule by having a brewery setup a “storage location.” In PA, breweries are allowed to purchase 2 or 3 storage licenses for off-site storage places that they are also permitted to sell from. The idea was for breweries that either didn’t have the space at the main brewery for storage, wanted to store their sour beers in a separate location, or wanted to have their production brewery in one location but their tap room in another. But people have realized they can pay the absurdly low cost of the storage license and turn a place into a brewpub.

Interesting, you would def know better than me!

Well well well, this is what we like to hear.

Annnnnnd it was nice while it lasted. Thanks to all for the info. Sounds like we will have a good weekend of golf.

1 Like

A lot of holes are easy if you keep it in play with a good drive. But if you get offline, it becomes a real risk/reward. You can try to punch it through the trees to the green, but if you are off a little, you’re in bad shape. But if you pull it off you’re still in play for birdie or par. The Founders is a course that I will shoot mid 70s one week and mid 90s the next. But have fun each time. Iron Forge can be fun when you play well, but in my opinion, there are too many spots where local knowledge is needed. So instead of thinking “oh well, just didn’t pull that shot off.” You think “well shit. If I had know that was there I would have hit a completely different shot.”

Update on last week… @PurpleCobra619 @T_Fox @SearchingForPar and I played Dauphin Highlands Friday morning. I had a blast. Good walk with great company and I enjoyed the course. One or two quirky holes but I would definitely play it again.

For this Friday, I have a 7:21 tee time booked at Pilgrim’s Oak with by brother in law. The course seemed to be quite popular as I went back through this thread. There are still two open spots if anyone would like to slide in. I might try and get my BIL to walk but I feel like we might end up riding. I think someone said in here that it would be a tough walk.

4 Likes

Pilgrims is best public in Lancaster. Can’t do Friday, have fun!

1 Like

I like Pilgrim’a a lot! Wish I could be there, but can’t. Enjoy!

I know it’s short notice, but I’m off Wednesday and figured I’d throw it out here. I have a 10am tee time at Meadia Heights. If anyone is interested in playing let me know.

I may be interested in joining

Anyone else sign up for the Fried Egg event at LCC in October? I played the one at Rolling Green in June and it was a blast. Better ball in morning, alt shot (as 8-somes) in the afternoon. Different tees and pin positions for each round. Great food, gifts and prizes. If you’ve never played LCC this is a great opportunity.

I signed up for it. Excited to see the course.

1 Like

I will see you there! I haven’t been out there in a couple years, but it’s one of my favorites I’ve ever played. That stretch of 3-8 is tough to beat. Looks like it’s filling up fast too. My brother just signed up and he was entry 42 and 43. There were 80 players at Rolling Green.