Armchair Architect Needed: Help design backyard wedge range

And just like that, all your songs are belong to us.

Youā€™re a damn wizard. Thanks!

Hello everyone I just finished reading this and I think this whole thing is fantastic. Iā€™m looking very forward to seeing how this 6-hole masterpiece ends up. I requested to join the e-mail list and join and Iā€™m now hyped that I have something to look forward to reading everyday. If there is any help needed I will do the best that I can

4 Likes

Oddly enough, as I was poking through TFE website as I usually do after the kids go to bed, I stumbled on the article that this is actually where the Brough Creek National stuff was happening. I donā€™t know why, but I never put all the pieces together.

I wish I still lived in KC and I couldā€™ve come help out. I think Iā€™m heading back for work soon though. Iā€™ve cleared a decent chunk of my own 2 acre lot and have chainsaw, will travel. looks like i have some reading to do to catch up.

3 Likes

Hole flyovers for those who donā€™t follow on Twitter or Instagram:

Hole 3 ā€œGolden Bellā€:

Hole 4. Lotā€™s of conversation about playing this hole the opposite way Iā€™ve got it routed. We will play up the ridge in a more dramatic spot!

Hole 5. Skinny 20-25 yard sliver of a landing area:

4 Likes

I. Need. A. Headcover.

3 Likes

I think they are arriving today.

2 Likes

I realize Iā€™m like the 500th guy to post a ā€œjust discovered thisā€ comment, but damn. The level of dedication to not only build a course but also organize contributions, develop member packets, AND document it all is a serious undertaking.

Standing ovation for you all from East Tennessee. Bravo. :clap:

1 Like

Believe it or not, thereā€™s already more than 500 members!

Regards,

7 Likes

Awesome you found us. It has been fun. Now we need the weather to play in our favor so we can get back out there and keep making content/progress on the course.

Really want to do video build blogs to track the progress. Very upbeat on our amateur video capabilities. Hopefully you all feel the same after our first video release on Wednesday.

@Zocco we hit 600 members this weekend :wink: Who knowā€™s which club has the largest membership in the world?

2 Likes

I just gave away about 75 used ProV-quality balls to a program here in town, but after I build up another large batch (raiding my dadā€™s stash should help do the trick), Iā€™ll send them your way with a shag bag to boot.

Also, I should have mentioned that part of my introduction to the game was in my grandpaā€™s self-made backyard range. About 30-40 yards long with a bunker and flag. Hereā€™s my dad teaching me to grip the club:

8 Likes

I see the leg action was ingrained early!

5 Likes

Very cool. Seems many people started in the backyard just like we did. Awesome.

1 Like

This should go in:
https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/photo-gallery-what-is-your-favorite-golf-picture/2666

1 Like

ya know whatā€¦i totally need to create a little course through our lot for my 5 year old this year. i need to sharpen the chain.

3 Likes

Personally, this is the hole Iā€™m most looking forward to. The Redan Hole #6. Plays 60ish yards and 10 yards uphill.

3 Likes

Everythingā€™s looking AWESOME. Quick question: How long is the redan hole gonna play?

Itā€™ll play 55 yards to a front pin or 66ish yards to a back left pin.

1 Like

What will be the finished product on that bank? If short grass, nice little penalty of missing short, it would roll all the way back to a collection area.

Good question. We are going to try and seed it with Tall Fescue seed but the slope is really steep. We wouldnā€™t be able to regularly maintain it at short grass height. Think we will let the grass grow and make some local rule that if the ball is unplayable, you have to hit from the bottom of the hill as to discourage people from trying to hack it out on that slope.

If grass seed doesnā€™t take, will get some plant-able natural grasses to scatter about.