Armchair Architect Needed: Help design backyard wedge range

The “holler” that BCN is in has some interesting characters. Wait until you hear Darren talk. Won’t do much to reverse that thinking haha.

As interesting as the characters on the other side of the state line? Them MO folks can be questionable :rofl:

BCN Members! If you have signed up and sent me your address, your new member welcome packet is in the mail. If you haven’t signed up yet, hurry up. I can’t give out free shit forever.

8 Likes

Awesome - now us Northerners get months of practice explaining the course insignia on the ball marker we’ll be using…it’s a semi-private track that really leaves a lasting impression on the player…huge emphasis on shot value and the layout is timeless.

4 Likes

“Local legend is that while traveling cross-country, [long dead golf course architect] noted the site would make for a great short course if someone wanted to do it.”

5 Likes

Hopefully come time to play the ball mark, we will have something to show for it. Then you can just pull up the website and let the course talk for itself. Kinda like Sweetens, if you know, you know. If you don’t i’m sorry for you, but more for me.

@Zocco that was Donald Ross. As he was driving to Hillcrest in KCMO, he couldn’t help but stop off and talk with Darren about the goldmine he was sitting on. Unfortunately, Darren had never heard of this “golf” game at the time.

3 Likes

Darren hitting a few balls after an afternoon of chainsawing trees:

8 Likes

An artist has found me. We are cooking something up. Not sure he is on here or just on Twitter, but really excited with what we are working on. Sneak peak for the Refuge:

12 Likes

Is an 11x14 metal Ballpark Blueprint of BCN going to accompany the one of the Old Course on my office wall in the near future?

3 Likes

I really really hope so. If @Golf_Art (twitter) and I can get it dialed, we will for sure make prints.

3 Likes

:drooling_face:

1 Like

there is so much “if you know, you know” swag about to get hawked around the refuge.

8 Likes

This has really become my favorite part of the work day. The updates and comments never disappoint.

BTW - Darren will be the best damn Starter ever.

5 Likes

This actually made my hole day. The most beautiful thing to ever bless the Refuge

1 Like

Darren’s gonna need a starter shed (or maybe a hovel would be better?)

1 Like

New in the running tee market is whatever the hell you describe Shadow Creek’s daily tee markers. Not sure if we are going to see those on PPV today, but they look like cross-sections of moderate trunked trees. sick!

Edit: cc @sundaybag THESE:

2 Likes

Struggling to find them. Hopefully will see them 18 times today.

Logged 30 man hours this weekend. The spoils of our work are starting to show.

You know it will be a productive day when this guy shows up at 8:30AM

We worked on clearing 4 green/5 tee box. Here is what we were looking at before:

Here is the after:

Another before angle looking up to 5 green.

Hopefully you can start to see the uniqueness of the property:

4 green area this summer looking like a forest:
IMG_5325

So many vines:

Green site for 4:

We had a perfect day on Saturday so we burned up a few of the piles we had made. Really nice to have those taken care of. The skid steer is a game changer. Saves us so much time pushing big logs onto the burn piles.

Stoke has never been higher. The property looks freaking awesome and the vision of our little golf course is becoming clear. Now we wait for the snow to melt so we can get back out there and finish clearing. Estimate about 3 more days until we can shift to focusing on preparing the turf for seed in the spring.

25 Likes

Peep this. Ryan did a bang up job with what I gave him.

24 Likes

Awesome layout. Do you think the course could be played in reverse too? For instance, hit from the first tee towards the 5th green, then work your way backwards until your last green in the current #6. Would be a neat little 12 hole course.