Alamo Duel - Charitable Update (Post #3544)

Check your whatsapp. DM’d it to you there.

1 Like

Yes, but if you don’t get it in by midnight same day, your score is not included in determining whether and how much PCC will be applied.

2 Likes

I believe you are correct sir. So it’s best not to wait. Like most of us did. :slight_smile:

I blame various distractions.

1 Like

Indeed!

1 Like

By the way sir, love the new avatar!

1 Like

Posting via the GHIN app is easy. If you have two minutes, post the hole-by-hole scores.

Bit late, but… In tennis, if your wrist/arm turns over, you get topspin. In golf, if your dominant wrist/arm turns over, you get hook spin. That’s all there is to it.

1 Like

Things were moving quickly in San Antonio.

And usually I stuck the card in my bag, my bag in my travel case, and then in the back of the rental. By the time I had 2 minutes to think about it was too much effort to dig everything out.

Normally I record as I sit down to a post round beer, but we really didn’t do too much of that at the actual golf courses this weekend.

But using the hole by hole was super easy once I did it. Don’t even have to worry about adding everything up (which was a blessing).

2 Likes

Hmmmm… Not necessarily.

1 Like

Listen, for sure. You can definitely hit a fade that way too, but a lot of the best in the world feel that with their hands when hitting a draw. And they feel the opposite (a small “hold off” in the rotation) when hitting a fade.

The purpose of that explanation was not to be technically correct, but rather to help a misguided man find the light in his understanding of the phrase, “turn over” …

Not really the topic to get into it, but… the vast majority of people who slice will “roll their trail hand over” the club (attempting, often subconsciously, to “square the face”). And a good number of drawers of the golf ball hold off the face.

Heck, I talked with Fredrik Tuxen a number of years ago at the PGA Show, and confirmed with him (he hadn’t thought about it at the time, but agreed after thinking about it) that a face that’s “closing” through impact actually puts a little “cut” spin on the ball, similar to the gear effect.

BTW, @RobertHunter, I think my early days playing soccer and tennis and understanding curve is why I shape the ball away from trouble unlike most people, who just steer the face away from trouble. I swing toward it, knowing the ball will curve away from it, because I played a lot of tennis and soccer before golf.

2 Likes

Very interesting note, and would not disagree that technically speaking that’s correct. What I said is for sure an oversimplification of the golf swing. Mr. Hunter’s previous posts indicated that tennis had possibly poisoned his ability to see “over” in any other way. I had seen the analogy before, so I thought I would do my best to bridge the gap (not even saying I agree with it!)

https://coloradoavidgolfer.com/a-new-racket-draw-and-fade/

EDIT: Please do not take this as golf swing advice! This is just for Mr. Hunter

1 Like

Yeah, I know. In my experience in tennis, a lot of top-spin forehands also have an “outward” path and the ball “draws” a little bit, too.

1 Like

What a weekend. I’m worried I’m going to miss something and someone important and I feel bad about that in advance. Also remembering names and matching names to user names was a challenge but will do my best

shout outs

• first night meeting up with Eric, @Zocco and @Lazstradamus I knew immediately that I was in for an awesome weekend with a top tier crew. Ended up staying out way too late and having a great time kicking the weekend off right with the approach of too much alcohol, not enough sleep but fantastic conversation with better people that would carry on throughout.

• Briggs Ridge. Loved this experience. First time getting the c-suite treatment and now proud owner of my first bag tag. Thanks a million to @anon47037505 for having us out. Amazingly generous to put your reputation on the line for a bunch of internet strangers. Top notch host, great playing partner and I’m excited to hang out more in Scotland!

• All my playing partners Laz, @BaxterMSP , @Snellspace @VelvetSteve Brad, Derek, Brian, @Cmusil, Zocco @imsocrabby Thanks for being the first refugees I’ve played with and for being so awesome. Steve. What an amazing partner at Briggs pm round. Not just a stick but a complete gentleman. The nice things you had to say about my swing meant more than you can know.

• Reverse shout out to the band for not playing music I could line dance to. Not the TC way (although maybe for the best that I wasn’t attempting coordinated dances…)

• Congrats to @bmb430 on the NIT qualification. Congrats to everyone else for not making this event all about the NIT qualification.

• @imsocrabby, Especially honoured to form the first women team with you. It’s intimidating to barge into a dude heavy crew and knowing you’d be there too was huge for. Super fun lady with impressive game who carried me around the par 3 course. Also thanks for sharing the best “entering the refuge” story imaginable

• Brothers Snell. Someone earlier called you a credit to your parents and that couldn’t be more accurate. Daniel, taking on such a huge logistical task is so impressive. Flawless delivery and I’m sure more went into this than I appreciate and it was so awesome. Ben, for the hole in one! In all seriousness, the both of you are the utmost of cool beans.

• JBrooks, Baxter for all the work that went into the event. I know there’s people who did things that I can’t even keep track of. Steve, I think you did the bag tags. @anon24718094 and Caleb for the yardage books. What a great souvenir. Mark, what a class act. I fully anticipate that I will reach out to you for recommendations for any city I go to. Amazing showing in the auction.

• Derek and Baxter for participating in this duel. Baxter just gives off the absolute best dad vibes and I feel like shit about my line of questioning in the Supreme Court trial…

• Everyone who attended. It’s so amazing that people are willing to take time away from work and family and put down money to come hang out with strangers and even stay with those strangers. I know everyone is making sacrifices to be there and is using good will and money that could be earmarked for other things. That we use these events to go towards charities like Magdalena House is just next level. The good things from this weekend will be overshadowed by the good done by the contributions.

• Laz. What can I say that hasn’t been said about all you do for this crazy community. I honestly doubt that this event happens without Laz’s commitment and involvement and I know with certainty that I wouldn’t have made it out to this, or even committed to Scotland, without the way Laz welcomed me to this community. The message he sent in response to my hesitation about going to the Denver summit was so instrument in letting my know I’d be included in these events. LazSarahLLC.

• Finally NLU and the refuge. As a female sports fan it’s easy to feel like you don’t really belong in sports spaces and that you always exist on the fringes of fandom. That’s never the case with NLU and the refuge. It’s so appreciated for not just how I’ve been welcomed but also for how I’ve seen other women be welcomed. The NLU boys have done a great job in setting those conditions but the refuge has taken it next level.

Overall takeaway:

• Listen. Fur shure. This whole weekend has left me so inspired to play more golf, get my game in shape, and attend more of these meetups. If anyone is questioning or doubting whether they should go or worried that they’re in the “wrong” demographic or skill level to fit in, I’d say please don’t hesitate in going. If you’re a golf sicko or even just there to get along and have a good time, you’ll be more than welcome!

On to Scotland! The wait will be unbearable

51 Likes

14 Likes

It’s just my beer belly giving off the dad vibes.

So glad you made the trip south! Could not have enjoyed our Briggs Round, drinking at the Lonesome Rose, or the Par 3 round any more. I really hope we get to do many more of these and, maybe, you make it to MN!

4 Likes

I really enjoyed playing with you both at Briggs and in our match at the par 3. I think we would make a pretty good mixed team at any Refuge event. I look forward to doing it again some time.

7 Likes

I’ll let y’all know what’s good when my trip is finally over

2 Likes

Go drunk, you’re home, Nandy

3 Likes

sickfuckingsick.gif

It was an awesome weekend that I wish could have lasted longer.

2 Likes