Alamo Duel - Charitable Update (Post #3544)

Puerto Rico has voted down statehood so that’s their own fault, as recently as 2017 and 2012.

1 Like

Then give them independence. Right now they’re a colony.

Also something fairly significant happened between the 2017 vote and now, so you might not want to die on that particular hill.

They’ve had that choice as well and rejected it. “In November 2012, a referendum, the fourth as of that date, was held. A full 54.00% voted “No” to maintaining the current political status. Of those who voted against remaining a commonwealth, 61.11% chose statehood, 33.34% chose free association), and 5.55% chose independence.“

Seems like they enjoy getting US citizenship without having to become an official state. Plus and minuses to that approach. Plus is you have some degree of independence. Minus is POTUS won’t help after hurricanes unless you’re out of paper towels.

1 Like

Not quite…

My ex-girlfriend runs the food/bev service at Alerus.

Drink up!

4 Likes

I feel like laz is just doing research right now and about to drop a history bomb on this

3 Likes

I would expect nothing less.

To be clear, the 2012 vote had a majority of Puerto Ricans stating that they wanted to no longer be a commonwealth. The 2017 vote had a 23% turnout among a voting population that typically has ~80% turnout.

It’s also extremely important to note that they’ve never had “the choice” in any of these situations. None of these referendums have been binding, and this has been a major point of criticism among Puerto Ricans. Since the hurricane, the priority of the Resident Commissioner—other than attempting to secure aid and trade adjustments that will allow direct foreign aid—has been to force Congress to allow for a binding referendum to take place.

1 Like

I’m not. But I’m also not remembering anything remotely close to Puerto Rico having their say in actually becoming a state or not.

And THANK YOU Justice @RobertHunter for “to be clear” because not everybody is on matters of state.

1 Like

I know 0 about San Antonio

Move to the US and rent my spare bedroom so I can afford to attend all Duels in 2020.

3 Likes

My brother told me San Antonio was dope.

My brother is seldom, seldom wrong.

San Antonio is likely dope.

7 Likes

I’m wrong all the time, but San Antonio is dope.

1 Like

San Antonio is in fact dope.

1 Like

I think you guis will like it. I was VERY pleasantly surprised by it. Would never move there as my wife is very much in the “Texas? Ewww” camp, but still a very solid city. Pearl area in downtown is nice.

1 Like

Blasphemy

2 Likes

I fucking love Texas and the skymiles are very reasonable to get there from RDU. I’m leaning so far in on this I’ve already cleared it with the Mrs.

5 Likes

If y’all wanna put something together down under, our winter is your summer… I could be convinced (next year)

4 Likes

Check out the Melbourne thread… October has been mentioned & I daresay is more appealing to you lot than the extra 4-5 hours onward to Perth as well as our mid-summer temps if we did it later for you (will be 100F plus the next few days & it’s not peak summer yet). That’s still technically golf season for you guis but would also probably be a good time frame for down here.