A thread for the Texas folks

18 if the wind is from the south makes it questionably the hardest public course hole in the DFW. But for as much as I hate it, I really enjoy the challenge.

I think I’m going to try going for the green in 2 on 6 when I inevitably get out there Friday or Saturday.

1 Like

On 15, you get to see some bad path planning off to the left where the entire cart path fell into the river bed. Real double whammy of a bad golf hole.

2 Likes

Are there two Squaw Creeks up towards the DFW area? I know of the one in Willow Park that serves as first tee of Fort Worth, but never heard of the 36 holer in Glen rose.

The place in Glen Rose is Squaw Valley.

2 Likes

I’m playing in the Tenison Park Club Championship this weekend. Anybody else playing?

The DFW dominance of this thread is a little out of control. Austin, y’all have any vegan CrossFit stories from the box this week to share?

12 Likes

Fixed mine thanks. I always call it creek for some reason.

1 Like

14 as well. I’m a little worried, as are others who play there a lot, that within the next couple of years depending on rain that they’re going to lose the 15 green and tee box. With the 16th back tees soon to follow.

16 tee can get pretty surreal after it rains hitting off the blue/black tee box. Ends up basically a cliff to water that’s only like 8-10 feet below it.

Squaw Creek is in Willow Park, Squaw Valley is the 36 hole course in Glen Rose. Really have to emphasize the Creek or Valley when meeting a buddy for a tee time because they’re about an hour away from each other.

2 Likes

Has anybody here played Duck Creek in Garland recently? I’ve never played and am going out there Tuesday morning. Reviews don’t look great. I just played Tenison Glen the other day. Didn’t play well but green conditioning was kind of a beatdown.

It’s been a while since I’ve played Duck Creek. Not always in the best shape. The back nine layout can get a bit confusing. I’ve hit to the wrong fairway on 11/12/13 a few times (and not on purpose). Seems like they had a small piece of real estate on the back and crammed in as much as they could. Not worth the $42 weekend rate in my opinion.

It has a little bit of a funky layout and has been in pretty meh shape the 5-6 times I’ve played it, but it’s golf if you can’t get on anywhere else. It should be better than Glen on the greens.

1 Like

I learned the hard way this weekend that walking golf is unfeasible in Austin until they put back the water points. Even with a push cart and a large thermos of water I refilled at the turn, ended up very dehydrated by the end.

2 Likes

Possibly of interest to you from my experience at the Dallas Golden Age Classic

3 Likes

Hey fellas,

I am making a weekend trip to the Dallas area. Any suggestions for public courses that are in good shape? Please lmk!

Cheers

Value/Muni: Stevens Park, Cedar Crest, Irving, or if you’re further west, Rockwood in Fort Worth. All fun, all in good shape, all can be played for under $50 riding.

More expensive: Texas Rangers, The Tribute, Old American - will all be in $110-$150 range.

Warning: lots of full tee sheets these days so pace of play is pretty slow all over the metroplex right now, and for Stevens, you will need to book your tee time a full week out as soon as they’re posted online or maybe even call the shop.

5 Likes

I have decided to take one for the team and get up with the sunrise on Saturday to walk over to Stevens and try to get a Saturday tee time as soon as the doors open. Will report back if there truly is a Stevens Park Illuminati in charge of the weekend morning tee times.

4 Likes

TLDR - Interesting article in the Statesmen today about increasing the Austin MUNY prices by 5%. I was (somewhat) surprised to see how much the courses bleed money every year for the city considering they’re mostly crowded year round.

The $500K lease from UT for Lions doesn’t help. And Hancock is just a wreck at this point. Sucks the city even has to try and keep that place open. They flirted with the idea of selling it to a private investor and having them manage the course. Love the MUNYs but how awesome would it be to have that 9-hole course restored to playability by someone with money. Had me thinking - if you could redesign that course how would you do it? Or, would you just say fuck it and sell the land ¯_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

this is my dream. turn it into Goat Hill of 512.

2 Likes

also…

I played Houston Oaks in Hockley for the last 3 days. meh. i’m not a Nicklaus fan so realizing after the first round that Chet Williams is a Nicklaus underling…:definitely a meh for me. Whispering Pines is a good one though. I think that has more to do with the land and routing…:because HO is a flat field.

center line bunkers or a tree…every single fairway. 16 and 17 are just annoying.

then we needed an emergency 18 at hit up Blackhorse/South. the front 9 is really boring. the back 9 is somewhat interesting. this course would be a fantastic opportunity to save maintenance costs and turn the bunkers into grass bunkers…because they are clearly not doing ANYTHING with them.