A thread for the Texas folks

I’d rank them GCD, Thorntree, Mansfield, Brickyard, Prairie Lakes.

1 Like

Played it last Wednesday and it’s about as good as I’ve seen it. Greens weren’t punched, fairways were really good.

Played out there for the first time a few weeks ago, and can confirm there have been no miracles. The greens were super hairy and inconsistent. Even some of their regulars are pretty disappointed in the condition.

2 Likes

Lol. And it’s like 40+ to play right.

Yep… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

It’s just awesome out there

I love Squaw Creek, 3-4 times a year I take a day off work just to drive down there and play 36. Next time you’re in town let me know if you want to meet up!

Good to know about Sugar Tree, I’ve been hyped about it for a while.

1 Like

Should be in the area in October for a couple weeks. Usually have first weekend off and will play. Split rail sounding interesting too.

Split Rail is a great course. Played out there 2 weekends ago and course was in great shape. Back 9 can be tricky and you have to put the ball in the fairway on a few tee shots. Kind of a drive but well worth getting out of the traditional popular public courses that take 5 hours to play

3 Likes

I feel like y’all have been talking about this but are there any decent cheaper courses, public or munis around Arlington?

Going to visit some family at the beginning of September and my cousin hasn’t played in years so don’t want to go to an expensive course. Would rather just hack it around somewhere cheap.

Riverside Golf Course off of 360 is in pretty good shape and is at a decent price $40 (weekday) $20 for nine holes. Meadowbrook Park Golf course is a fun little nine hole course it was in okay shape when I played it last. Grand Oaks in Grand Prairie is a fun old school country club style track. I’ll try to think of some more that I’ve played that are at a pretty good price point after I’ve had my coffee.

2 Likes

Nine holes may actually be perfect, he hasn’t played in years so 18 would probably be too much to start with. I’ll look at Riverside and Meadowbrook. I appreciate it!

I’d drive the extra few minutes to play stevens in dallas or rockwood in fort worth personally. Stevens is the NLU DFW hub so any course rec in the area that doesn’t list it is a violation of the TC way.

4 Likes

I’m partial to Riverside since it’s so close and can’t beat the price for 9 holes for the condition it’s in. Can be a sneaky tough track though.

Didn’t list Stevens since it was asked about Arlington, and I haven’t played Stevens yet so I don’t have any knowledge of it. But I have heard great things!

1 Like

I’m not a big Grand Oaks fan – just not my tempo – but I will ride hard for Riverside. Fun track even though I have a blood feud against two of the holes. We played it in the winter a ton.

Grand Oaks is my absolute fall back if I can’t sneak on anywhere else. It’s more of a range than a course in my opinion.

Which two holes are we talking about at Riverside?

I hate 6, the par-5 that bends around the river, because it’s a dumb hole that requires an awkward layup and doesn’t really reward good shots.

I hate 15, the short dogleg right par-4, because if you hit anything more than 6-iron straight off the tee you’ll be OB Long.

They could light 6 on fire and I wouldn’t mind. Drive-3W off the tee. 4-6 Iron layup. Wedge in to the two tiered green. Pure nonsense.

I actually don’t mind 15. I always try to hit a cut around the bunker so it’s a fun little game I play with myself. 16 is one that can get pretty mean if they put the pin on the top shelf where the tree hangs over.

The hole I really don’t like is 18. I think I’ve hit that green in reg maybe 3 times. I don’t know what it is, but I cannot get that second shot down.

1 Like

18 is a great kick in the stones to send you on your way on a Sunday morning. Agree on 6, arguably my least favorite hole in the metroplex.

1 Like