A thread for the Texas folks

I’m not sure it can be fixed. A nine hole course should be a nice place for beginners to learn the game and challenge better players, but that layout is absolutely brutal. Hole 6 in particular can go fuck itself. And if you hit a good drive on 9, you either threaten the green or injure someone on the practice green.

Maybe if they really invest in it and bring in someone who knows what they are doing, maybe raise the price to $30-40. But the people I’ve been “paired” with on Hancock are playing it precisely because it is cheap.

1 Like

for Hancock to work…:it needs people who give a crap about golf and creating a cohesive culture.

the city of austin is not those people.

5 Likes

Sherril Park in Richardson is in good shape and is quite cheap. They’ve got two courses. Pecan Hollow in Plano was in incredible shape when I played it last month. The Dallas munis are all really good, but most of the courses are booking up really quick. This weekend appears to be hard to get a tee time before noon anywhere since it’s mid 90’s on the temps. Old Brickyard in Ferris is a really unique course. I haven’t played it yet this season, so not sure on the condition.

Hey, I resent that implication. :upside_down_face: I’m playing it because it’s a block from my house.

IMVHO Hancock has the potential for a good 5 or 6 hole course (with heavy investment). There just isn’t enough room there for 9, especially with the other usages on site and the heavy neighborhood presence.

I went to a meeting right before the shutdown where the city tried outreach to the neighborhood about possible alternatives. It got hostile pretty quickly. The city parks staff did a poor job of explaining their position and a poorer job of reading their audience.

2 Likes

Haha, sorry man, didn’t mean to group everyone together. Pretty sure we played together last year. It would be nice to see the city shine up that course, for sure.

Have you played Bear Creek recently? I played it about 3 years ago> What course would you recommend? East or West? I think I played both while I was there but I cant remember.

No I haven’t. Sorry.

just sent you a DM. I have questions.

1 Like

West 100%. East is in a bit of a state of disrepair. I used to play both courses at bear creek a lot up until about a year ago. Seems they just kind of let the east course go after they redid some of the west course. Fun track but not for the pace of play, conditions and price on the weekends IMHO.

Was there as well and that one huge ass hole tried to dominate the meeting. I think the issue with the 5-6 hole course is having nets for a range will not fly with the neighbors.

Agreed, that’s often the problem with an open public meeting. I also have big doubts about fitting a range on that property. Like you said, I doubt that the huge nets required for a range would be popular. After the meeting I was talking to one of the people who worked the desk at Hancock, and she told me the reason the reason we won’t ever be able to hit woods on the range at Mo Willy again. Evidently someone flew the nets at the back of the range and bounced one off the parking lot, through the window of the dentists office and into a kid inside. That’s the story at least. Those nets are pretty darn tall, and at least 240 out from the closest tees where they used to allow woods.

some of the best courses on the planet have nets on their ranges.

hot take alert: 120 foot nets (i would have to research the actual heights…lol) aren’t any uglier than some of the new buildings on the austin skyline.

exhibit A:

exhibit B:

exhibit C:

2 Likes

Based on the anger at that meeting of even keeping it a golf course, they might tar and feather someone that suggests putting up nets around the perimeter…never going to happen

1 Like

So bizarre, is the preference to turn it into more construction and housing?

the City of Austin P&R Dept is such an effing disaster.

well actually the entire CoA.

it’s really sad. Hancock could be sooooooo good.

1 Like

And tbh, I wouldn’t want a giant net either if I was one of those houses near Hancock. I’m sure they all prefer the open feel.

The residents for the most part want a passive park. Some want golf, many others don’t.

I think the city prefers a short course and range, but not sure how that’s going to work.

We were talking to some people in the industry about submitting a response to the RFP before COVID hit. Not sure where the city is in the process now. I think we could make something incredibly fun, if we could raise some funds. May get back to it once there is some direction from the city.

3 Likes

That course is crazy packed Saturday and Sunday fair warning, took 5.5 hours last time I played and teed off at 9

with the right people leading the plan…it could be fantastic for the immediate area and city. so far the city has proven that they have no desire to create a successful model for Hancock…or municipal golf in general. it’s basically a bare minimum afterthought.

1 Like

Agreed. Would like to see it be a par 33-34. All fairway cut and some really cool green complexes. Minimal bunkers. A couple drivable par 4s. Similar to Winter Park.

Build a really cool putting course with a great outdoor bar/food trucks, picnic tables under the big oaks and have a place for local bands to play. Serve great Texas beer and cocktails and make it a fun couple hours to grab a drink for non-golfers. That would be our vision. Think Winter Park/Bangers/Punchbowl combo as the end goal.

7 Likes