A thread for the Texas folks

Look at what I found when looking for a broken tee on the 18th at Stevens

14 Likes

So you don’t hit driver on 18?

1 Like

Sky’d a 3 wood, bladed an 8 onto the green and 2 putt to the back shelf from the front for a par. I am a Spieth fan aren’t I?

2 Likes

Late to the party, but Oeste Ranch is generally viewed as muni-level golf course. If you want to play out in Weatherford area, highly suggest Split Rail.

Didn’t end up playing there anyways. Got stood up by a good friend so I headed to Tierra Verde in Arlington. Loved it.

Which part of Weatherford is Split Rail in? I’m definitely interested in playing more courses west of Fort Worth.

1 Like

Tierra Verde is a good audible. Split Rail is about 10 minutes directly south of Oeste Ranch in Anetta. Semi-public/private club. Never a ton of traffic out there.

1 Like

First time playing Tierra Verde. Great track! Wish I played better but overall loved it.

I’ll have to look into Split Rail. Thanks for bringing it up!

1 Like

Canyon West is out there, opinions vary widely but I like it and prices are good. I’ve been meaning to make it out to Sugar Tree because a guy in my league brings it up pretty much every week.

2 Likes

Split Rail is really solid, great range and course usually plays firm and fast. 5 sets of tees so suggest playing one back then you normally would.

I live out near Weatherford, and Split Rail and Canyon West are definitely good options. Another one of my favorites is Squaw Creek. Fun course, and it’s BYOB!

2 Likes

I used to play Hermann Park golf course in Houston quite a bit when I lived next door and I couldn’t stand it. The only reason I played it was because I could walk there with my push cart and play relatively cheaply.

Looking at it in google earth now, I’ve realized why I hated it so much. Every hole with water has a lake that completely blocks off the fairway starting somewhere around 240yds and running to 275-290yds. So you’re forced to lay up on every single Par 4 with water unless you can reliably hit it 300yds pretty straight. It was so boring.

You are correct about Hermann Park. It also gets too much play and has always been in mediocre condition when I have played it. It’s been several years since I have played it. YMMV

Agreed. Hermann has a lot of potential, definite Winter Park-type potential, but every time I’ve played it there’s been like three greens totally out of commission and three foursomes waiting to tee off on every hole.

Side note: Any recommendations for getting a driver fitting in Houston?

Not from Texas but go south of dfw for work one or 2 times a year.my thoughts on a few mentioned, canyon west is fun, have played it a couple times will always return. Love 9th tee from way up top, great 360degree view. Couple silly holes but nice course, small pro shop but gorgeous bar area.
Squaw Valley in glen rose has 36 holes, you won’t be let down. They have a great practice facility. Greens are big and fast. They enclosed their pavilion, really nice, no sit down bar.
Whitestone was ok. I played in December and it was cold. Had some really rough areas but I would go back again in better weather.
Sugar tree, I been wanting to go, hearing so much good, and seeing the nice "professional " photos online. Made it this spring and was highly disappointed. Pro shop is nice. Range is small and beat up putting green was ok. But the course was in terrible shape. There was no difference between the rough and fairway, greens smaller and everything was hard as a rock. A lot of lefts and rights and hills if you don’t know the course and hit wrong club, your good shot will be orb or hazard bound. The par 5 turned into a par3 from flood, but no other area on course got water I guess. I would not go back for 20dollars.

He’s tricking you. Lol. Unless miracles happened since may. And it’s a tight blind shot course for a lot of it.

How are the conditions at Stevens? Greens? Feels like about the time of year when they’d punch them.

Worlds colliding yet again! Let’s all hope @Tron can get more than two words in this time before getting dumped.

5 Likes

Playing a casual round with some coworkers tomorrow and they’re debating between the following courses, none of which I’ve played before. I’m hoping someone can weight in on which of these are better/worth playing

• Mansfield National
  • Thorntree
  • Prairie Lakes
  • Brickyard
  • Golf Club of Dallas

Any thoughts?

I would vote for GCD

2 Likes

I played Brickyard years ago and loved it. Mansfield is a pretty solid choice as well.