A thread for the Texas folks

I know it’s in Kerrville and not SA proper, but Comanche Trace is a super fun track for those very reasons.

1 Like

I’m in SA, public course golfer, Cedar Creek and Old Brack are my favorite ACGT courses

1 Like

I just played Kissing Tree in San Marcos this last week and It was sublime. Shorter course and has nice width and angles if you’re into that kinda stuff. I played during the weekday and they give me a military rate for $54. Good track I would recommend for a little day trip out of San Antonio or ATX.

1 Like

Shout out the NLU boys in the 'Plex this week per Instagram. @Tron @Soly @djpie @Randy Hope y’all enjoyed some good winter golf, it’s gonna be 75 degrees here next weekend.

6 Likes

I’m super hype for some content from Colonial & Trinity Forest.

1 Like

Howdy Texas folk. Moving to Houston this weekend from NYC with very little knowledge of the area/golf scene. If anyone has any tips let me know. Also if anyone in Houston ever needs a fourth and wants to grab a fellow refugee I will play wherever whenever. Looking forward to seeing what TX has to offer.

1 Like

Live in Austin, but I know that Houston is GREAT for golf. Lots of great courses, with lots of variety. Only thing I don’t know is how public they are because I’ve only been there for tournaments.

1 Like

If me and my hacking buddies go out I’ll send a message. I live in the Heights so pretty central, and I’ll give you a clockwise Run rundown of Public only courses.

Timber Creek: Probably one of the best public courses in the city. Three pretty decent varying nine holes.

Southwyck: This one is always hit or miss in the condition, but its a linkstyle course in Pearland and can play pretty long with a decent layout

Clear Creek: Its a simple easy course that is usually in OK shape

Wildcat: One of the better public courses. It’s pretty pricey for the value but sometimes you can catch a deal on golfnow.com

Herman Park: I try to avoid this golf course. It’s short, the greens are slow, the holes are on top of each other and it takes forever to play out here. It’s a shame because its in a very nice park and the land is super valuable.

Sharpstown: This is an old country club that the city took over. It’s pretty cheap and the greens are always in good shape but they roll flat. Does not drain the best but it is a fun easy place to play and can play your same ball.

Memorial Park: One of the best courses in the city and right in the heart of it. Going through a 13.5 million renovation to get it ready for the Houston Open.

Meadowbrook Farms: I do not like this Norman layout, and think its overpriced. Very tight driving holes that can wear on you.

Jersey Meadow: Avoid unless you live in Jersey Village

Blackhorse: Alot of people say this is one of the best courses. It’s always in good shape, but its pricey.

Cypress Lakes: This is a neat course that usually has pretty quick greens

Longwood: Neat course that has lost their greens

Cypresswood: One of the better courses in town. Has the Open qualifier here and the cypress course is fun, but the traditions course is hard and a neat layout.

Golf Club of Houston: Probably worth a try to play where the pros play. It’s always in good shape and can help you appreciate pro’s shooting 65 on 7500 yards.

Gus Wortham: One of my favorites. They just re-did this one and it is in great shape.

Eagle Point: A fun tough course on the very east side of town

Battleground: They lost their greens a few years ago, but this is a tough driving course that can ruin your day.

Bay Forest: This is an ok track. I would only venture out here if you live on the south part of town

3 Likes

In terms of public courses, I highly recommend GC of Houston, Cypresswood, Memorial Park (might be closed temporarily for the Doak redesign), and Eagle Pointe. Oakhurst, Tour 18 and Bay Forest aren’t terrible but might be only worth one try depending on your experience. I’ve heard Gus Wortham is great after its restoration, but I never played it before I left.

If you have means to get on any of the private tracks, you can’t go wrong with any of those.

1 Like

Moved to Beaumont (hour and change east of Houston) from Long Island. Good to see some Yankees invading the south. Always down to head over to Houston to play.

1 Like

Live in Cypress, and Longwood used to be a great track a few years ago. $50 green fee, free lunch and 2 beers with great greens. Couldn’t beat it. Man that thing is run down now… Tough to merit playing it for $20

Where in Houston?

Any of you Houston guys want to hosting a visiting New Englander? Flying in May 3rd and have the afternoon free.

Just saw this, unfortunately out of town…

This looks pretty awesome.

6 Likes

Was looking for a thread to post this in (you’re welcome). $380 does not sound bad to me. Looks like a blast. Great chance to play TF and a fun format.

1 Like

Was coming in here to post. Ive emailed as a solo player so hope to hear back soon.

Just have to figure out who my partner will be. Seems like a great price to play a new and interesting course.

I am actually going to be in Dallas the week prior and it is not feasible to extend my stay. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Confirmed. PS I’m not actually Texan just next door in Arkansas. Hope to see some of y’all in September.

1 Like