A thread for the Texas folks

I’m still hoping that the Gil Hanse-designed Panther Creek is gonna happen! Even though I’ll probably never play it, would be fun to have a PGA or RC come to town.

PGA posted this yesterday…

I guess the 109th PGA Championship in 2027 at Aronimink is getting replaced by the new Frisco course?

I may be missing something but I’m excited for Texas to host the PGA even if it is a decade away.

1 Like

Aronimink is getting bumped up to 2026. Excited to see what Gil produces. There was some drone footage of the property released and it looks ripe for golf goodness.

2 Likes

Been playing golf for 30+ years. Took it seriously when married- 25 years ago- went from 30 handicap to single digit. Live in DFW area. Love the game.

I have a friend that is relocating to the Houston area. Hasn’t really zeroed in on where to live yet but he’s also trying to find a place to golf/join. Definitely not looking for some posh, uber-exclusive place. Most important thing to him would be a laid-back membership with regular weekend games in the morning. If anyone has any recommendations, I will pass them along. Thanks.

My sister is a member out at Pine Forest and its the best affordable club on the west side of town with 27 holes. Really depends on where you end up, these lots of choice in Spring/Woodlands, Sugarland, Clear Lake/League City. There’s alot of Club Corp options in the surburbs. If they are looking to be centrally located, there arent any close affordable clubs really.

Any feel for the culture of the club(s)? That seems to be his number one concern…finding somewhere with a laid back membership and large member games on the weekend mornings.

For background…our club is really good when it comes to what he likes. 20-30 person games every Saturday and Sunday, you just sign up and wait for someone to tell you what pairing you are in and what the game is. Other clubs around here are much more “cliquey” with several small groups that have standing tee times and no room anyone outside the regular group.

I made the attached map for a friend who moved here and was working out 290 in the burbs. Below is an incomplete and anecdotal list of information for your friend moving here. I think we’ve listed the best country clubs in town previously in this thread.

Blue Circles are place you should look to live:

1. Timbergrove

2. The Heights is a little more hip than timbergrove and will have newer apartments. I love all the bars and restaurants over here.

3. Washington Avenue / Memorial Park has a lot of new apartments at good varying price points. Good proximity to memorial park and bars/restaurants

4. Rice Military has a lot more town homes than apartments but it’s another good option - very similar in vibe to Washington avenue

5. Greenway / Upper Kirby is another good area to live.

6. Midtown is the most common “young people working their first job” area. Lots of bars, but the commute would be pretty awful.

Red Circles are popular bar & restaurant areas:

1. The Heights - hip area with a mix of young families, young professionals. some fancy bars and some good dive bars. It’s also not fully gentrified yet so you’ll stumble across some Hispanic shade tree mechanics with goats roaming around right next to $1MM+ homes.

2. Market Square Park - in downtown proper, but near main street so there’s lots of hobos. mix of dive bars and fancy mixology type places

3. Midtown - previously mentioned this but it’s a younger crowd with louder bars. more nightclub feel to them. some good sports bars

4. Montrose - formerly Houston’s LGBTQ neighborhood, now it’s a good spot for brunch. pretty gentrified but our hobos will put the fear of god into you at 3am.

5. Upper Kirby - blue blood part of town. Wes Anderson’s early work, Rushmore, was filmed along river oaks boulevard at the public school (Lamar) and the private school (St.Johns).

Highlighted spots are public muni golf courses:

1. Memorial Park has the best municipal golf course and driving range

2. Herman Park Golf course is down by the zoo. Another good short municipal course

Houston Must Eat and Drink Places:

El Tiempo

Pappasitos

Original Ninfa’s on Navigation

Gatlin’s BBQ

Roegel’s BBQ

Killens BBQ

Goode Company BBQ

Kirby Ice House (football watching)

West Alabama Ice House

The Party War

Okra Charity Saloon

Eight Row Flint

St. Arnold brewery

Karbach Brewery

8th wonder brewery

5 Likes

i saw this earlier in the thread but wanted to bring it back to the surface just in case anyone new like myself has joined, is there anyone here currently living in Austin that is looking to play the munis sometime?

Sounds like he should join either Westwood or briarbend. Have heard good things about both particularly the culture at briarbend. Real laid back and a lot of golf being played.

Disclaimer: I don’t belong to these clubs nor do I live in Houston.

1 Like

Thanks Andy. That’s exactly the type of feedback he’s looking for.

1 Like

As an aside, When I lived in Houston I had a membership at Wildcat which is a pay to play course with a really really good deal ($385/month). The people who work there are great and for $385 you get two pretty solid 18 hole courses and good practice areas. It’s also much more convenient for someone who lives inside the loop (Bellaire, West U, Boulevard Oaks), but it’s not really a place you go to hang out with the boys or find a random game outside of the summer when they’ll do Wednesday 2 man scrambles.

Hope this helps and tell your friend welcome to Houston!

Hey all, first time long time. Currently live in Houston, well Cypress actually, and originally from SLC, UT. Went to school and played golf at Trinity University in San Antonio, class of '07. Decently obsessed with the game. Currently a 6. Blackhorse I guess is my default club. Played a number of good ones across the state.

Looking forward to the conversation!

Just played Stevens Park this past fall. If you are in Dallas and have the chance you absolutely have to play it.

Hey Gary, Im a member down at Golfcrest Country Club in Pearland, little south of the city. We have 3-4 groups that play our game most every Saturday that there isnt an MGA tourney. I think we have about 400 members, but a very relaxed atmostphere in my opinion. We play a lot of Sundays, but sometimes only 2-3 groups . Let me know if I can offer any more info!

1 Like

Very good, thanks! I will pass this along.

Another Houston guy here. Junior Member at Braeburn, I’ve found it very laid back and increasingly younger. It’s a very golf first club. Worth your buddy going take a look at.

1 Like

Reading through this thread I think I’m the only one so far to currently live in San Antonio. I grew up in Dallas then went to Baylor and I love the golf here. San Antonio has some cool elevation changes that you don’t see as much in Dallas or Waco.

1 Like

I played the Quarry in San Antonio last spring. Went off at around 7:15 a.m. and was one of the only ones on the course. Really fun track, hope to play it again in March if I make it back down.

1 Like

I really like the quarry as long as you can get an early tee time. Definitely a unique course with the “links” 9 and the quarry 9.