A thread for the Texas folks

Hahaha I actually really enjoy Diamondback but I was a cartboy there for 2 years so I have played there too many times to count. Looking to play something new and interesting on my days off work.

1 Like

I have played Rawls a few times and enjoy it but I hadn’t heard of Gaines County before. I’ll have to make the drive over sometime I’m up there.

1 Like

Has Maxwell been brought back from the dead? I lived in Abilene until 2005 and Maxwell seemed to go downhill once Diamondback opened (granted it wasn’t a fair comparison). I loved playing there as a kid though…

1 Like

Absolutely not. The greens are better now than they were when I was a junior but they really couldn’t go anywhere but up. The fairways are patchy and the “rough” is pretty much hardpan dirt. Greens rolled decent the last time I played but are really slow. Just seems like they don’t invest in the course other than what is required to maintain it.

But it is where I really learned the game and would be dropped off with my buddy during summers, so I do have a soft spot for it just wish someone would put some work into it.

1 Like

Played max a lot in 2012 (acu grad) never in great shape but for a west Texas town and a college kid it was great

Likewise. I remember saving up coins/rummaging through parents drawers for range ball money. Then my mom would drop me off at Maxwell in the summer in the early 90’s and I could play for $5-6 and hit range balls for $2-3. It’s where I started playing and to this day I still miss the hard pan rough.

1 Like

Yea, It most definitely hasn’t improved. At least when I graduated ACU in 2009. Although Maxwell is fun because of the wind and short holes. Any of you guys ever go out to Hawley to play what I believe was Tangle Oaks or something?

Folks, we’re on for July 19. We have 20 spots for both the morning and afternoon rounds, so we still have some extra space based on current responses.

We will need final answers on attendance by July 10 in case we need to adjust the number of tee times.

I will start a thread in the Refuge Meetup area for this event with updated information so you can go back to general Texas golf discussion.

4 Likes

Good list. Here’s mine with same criteria.
No particular order.

Stevens Park - Dallas staple.
Grapevine Muni - on best chunk of property in list
Heritage Ranch - Sr Lvg comm. those old farts take care of their track & usually wide open in PM.
Woodbridge - hit or miss on condition but a test golfing your ball, nonetheless.
Pecan - phenomenal shape for city course, fairly easy to get on.

1 Like

Links at Lands End on Lake Fork? Pine Dunes is a neat track but is very remote. Lands Ends might be more accommodating. JAT!

1 Like

I am scheduled to play Pine Dunes tomorrow. I have not been yet. Anyone have thoughts?

Take bug spray.

Greens and fairways were in really good shape when I was there two weeks ago. Pick and choose when you take chances. Keep it in the fairway off the tee even if you need to downshift a little (especially on 1 and 4), a right to left shot shape off the tee will get you far on the front nine. Hole 3, don’t want to go too far left or it can eject you and there’s more room right and long than it looks from the tee. On 5, even if you go up the right side, you can get pretty close to home in two if you can hit your second one high or in a draw, ball will feed it close to the green and it’s a benign chipping area. 14, left side of the fairway trees will block you out. If you can fly the cross bunkers on 15, the slope will roll you up to a flip wedge in. 18, choose your adventure and be honest with yourself, but it’s about a 250-260 yd carry over the pond to leave yourself a short one in.

Sorry, I just saw this. I belonged to Great Hills for about 9-10 years. Really like it, but a few years ago I realized I had three teenagers who didn’t play golf and were going to be going to college soon so I dropped it. Did a thing at Balcones for a year in 2018 because it was dirt cheap. Fun people and membership, but the course is mediocre. Definitely message me if you have more questions.

1 Like

For Austin on the budget side, I would look at Great Hills, Lost Creek or Onion Creek. Pretty comparable quality wise, so to me the decision would be almost entirely made on what part of town you lived in. If you are farther northwest, look at Twin Creeks, and farther west, River Place.

2 Likes

Played hooky from work yesterday and tee’d it up at Irving Golf Club. Wind was blowing pretty good and I was playing with my beginner buddy so we played the whites. It’s one of my favorite rounds I’ve played in a while. Would recommend.

1 Like

Still haven’t made it out to Irving Golf Club. Feel like I need to since it’s mentioned in this thread often.

Is it too late for me to hop in to the Dallas tourney? Cc: @DuckDuckHook

Nope, fill out the sheet. We still have space.

1 Like

I haven’t been out to Hawley, but I’d give a shoutout to another small town course. Shady Oaks in Clyde/Baird is the best value in the area: $20 to walk during the week and good greens with a decent set-up.

2 Likes