A thread for the Texas folks

Cool…so my worst ball alternate shot format proposal is still in play then :wink:

6 Likes

I would HIGHLY encourage that sort of format.

7 Likes

I’m thinking of making the trip down there for this, provided it’s open to non-Texas folks? I’d love a reunion with my Duel at the Alamo buddies :slight_smile:

7 Likes

That’s allowed. Certainly not restricted to Dallas only.

I don’t see why anyone would be against making it an NIT event

1 Like

Just here to say I’ll never play bear Creek again, Golf Club of Dallas is getting a lot better too. I like the course selection.

What happened at Bear Creek? Haven’t played it since last summer.

It took 4:48 to play 18 on Saturday with 3 6-12 handicap golfers. 3 sometimes 4 groups on one hole. Just crazy busy, Marshall said they do about 500 people on Saturdays haha

That’s a good question. A couple of us are already going to the Sweetens event, or may have already tried to qualify elsewhere. Also, in the past it has sometimes meant a different scoring format, and I know in the past others have just preferred to focus on the hang. From the responses so far, seems like everyone wants a pretty low key approach.

Once we get dates and tee times confirmed, @mctrees02 and I will set up a charitable target regardless and try to come up with a fun qualifying game that still lets everyone do their thing.

1 Like

I don’t see why not on the qualifier if we make it something silly/don’t take it too seriously. Could do whatever format we want and choose a hole or two on each course to play your own ball, low cumulative scores wins ala Aon risk reward challenge.

6 Likes

Wow. That’s not very surprising honestly. Was it at least in good condition? Last time I was out there it took me a good bit to get around, and the East course wasn’t in the best condition.

I’m hoping to make it but i’ll be in Colorado until the 18th. I’m hoping to be able to play one round if it’s the weekend of the 25th.

Confirming with the boss tonight which if these works best. T’s & P’s appreciated…

3 Likes

I’m looking at a last minute golf trip with a buddy. Will only be two days and we both are recent college grads so we are on somewhat of a budget. We want to be able to drive and we’re in Abilene. Any recommendations in Texas/Oklahoma?

Pine Dunes comes to mind based on posts here, but I have never played and would like to hear about other places.

All, for the Golden Age Classic, we’re looking at booking mostly likely the 19th as the best day for course availability and attendance, with Golf Club of Dallas in the morning and Cedar Crest in the afternoon, and trying to reserve socially distanced patio space somewhere for lunch between.

Go ahead and get your spreadsheet entries in so we have a good idea of how many tee times to block out. Pricing, charity and format decisions will be announced later once we get the main details in place.

cc
@Lilbrit
@the_korn_ferry
@Rudy
@bored_6m
@Haymart
@Snellspace
Anyone else who wants to join

3 Likes

pick me!

Pine Dunes makes a lot of sense…

You could also play 36 at Squaw Valley in Glen Rose, stay the night in Fort Worth and then play Rockwood the next day before heading home. Maybe go up to Lubbock to play Rawls and then check out Gaines County in Seminole as well.

The golf trip resorts in Texas aren’t all that exciting nor reasonably priced. If you want to be a bit more budget minded, find a few courses in an area and go check them out. The Colligan Golf portfolio features a lot of accessible, affordable courses that are also really fun to play. https://www.colligangolf.com/our-work.html

4 Likes

You already filled out the sheet, you chose yourself, dawg! I’m just pinging those who haven’t answered their availability. Please join us, just don’t kill anyone.

1 Like

In no certain order:

• Horseshoe Bay
  • Recreate the Duel at the Alamo (walk Brack in the morning, San Pedro par 3 at night, cart The Quarry)
  • Munis in Austin
  • Pine Dunes, staying on property and cooking all your meals (I’m unsure about enough local places that will do takeout)
1 Like

Go to the Tyler area and play Pine Dunes, Cascades, and Tempest. Although not sure whats wrong with Diamondback, Maxwell and Willow Creek.

1 Like